“Below the Belt Budget Breakdown”

Ibis Birmingham Bordesley
Ranked #72 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
London, United Kingdom
“Below the Belt Budget Breakdown”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Simply awful. The service was very poor, including my having to take my own dinner back to the kitchen to get my order corrected. The buffet was missing half the items at breakfast. The shelves in our room had about 4mm of accumulated dust. You felt like all the staff had arrived yesterday and weren't quite sure what was going on. You're not expecting much from a budget hotel but these guys are still falling really short compared to other low cost brands. Probably better avoided for now, if you get stuck there for work, eat next door at McDonald's.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Emmanuel R, General Manager at Ibis Birmingham Bordesley, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Guest,
I do apologize for the shortage of service you have experienced in our Hotel on your stay. I have been answering already your emails you addressed me through our satisfaction survey, and I have asked our Customer Relation Department to be in touch with you.
Should you wish to discuss the matter further, please feel free to get in touch with me on 0121 506 26 00.
Emmanuel ROBIN - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Had a very enjoyable stay here on Saturday night. The rooms were spacious and spotless, and the staff were accommodating and friendly. Would have liked to have seen more staff on Saturday night in the bar - it was mobbed! But a great choice for a 1 or 2 nighter. Much closer to central Brum than you'd think, but without all the noise and street fights!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Paula,
Thank you very much for your feedback received for our Hotel. I am really glad you found the Staff friendly, and I will pass onto them your feedback to encourage them to deliver great service.
I apologize for the delays in service you have experienced, which is not of our normal standards, and will make sure such issue doesn’t arise anymore.
We look forward to welcoming you back in our hotel.
Emmanuel ROBIN - General Manager

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

Location was the biggest minus here. On a very large busy round-a-bout so rooms had road noise. Were quieter rooms round the back. I did see one but chose to be close to my colleagues instead as I felt safer. On the second evening I couldn't get into my room although I had paid for 2 nights, only to find that my belongings had been cleared out by the cleaning staff to lost property!!! Although the staff were very apologetic I never did get a clear answer why! Think it must have been something to do with seeing other room but even so not acceptable. Then on second night the minus of the location kicked in with some very noisy and odd goings on in the room across the corridor. All credit to the night staff and security as they did respond quickly and eventually deal with it and evict the people but this did take over and hour and apparently they had to call the police. Again staff were very apologetic in the morning but no discount offered.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Emmanuel R, General Manager at Ibis Birmingham Bordesley, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear Guest,
As per already answered to you on a personal email, I have asked my team to enquire about the problem of your personal belongings cleared from your room. The Reception and Housekeeping Manager will report to me promptly and will make sure that such issue doesn’t re-occur.
By the meantime, I would like to apologize about the inconvenience, and I can insure you this kind of problem won’t arise anymore.
Emmanuel ROBIN – General Manager
Sunderland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed here for two weeks and could not wait to leave.As this hotel also owns the F1 hotel next door and shares its reception area we were amazed and shocked at some of the activities we saw, this culminated when 8 police officers came in one night at 6.30pm and went next door to the F1, we later found out this was for a drugs bust! If you can put this to one side the staff were very polite and helpfull, the rooms were very clean. Two areas of concern about the rooms were nearly everybody's room had ill fitting windows that let cold air and adjacent road noise in, the showers could not be controlled so you would be having a nice shower when suddenly without warning it would go red hot. Another concern was the food, a basic menu that appeared and tasted as if it had just come out of a microwave and at approx £8/9 a meal was not good value.

Room Tip: Do not get a room at the front of the hotel as you will not get much sleep due to all the noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Emmanuel R, General Manager at Ibis Birmingham Bordesley, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thanks for letting us know your feedback about your recent stay in Ibis Hotel.
I do apologize for the window issue you have experienced, and you will be pleased to know that we had recently changed 47 of these window mechanisms which had a slight malfunction problem.
The feedback we have received since the change is well improving.
I don't know if you have reported this issue on reception desk, but if you did, I am confident my Team will have given you another room.
We have had a police intervention indeed recently on the F1 hotel, but it wasn't for a drug related issue, but more for a guest domestic related issue. We are taking very seriously any kind of disturbance in both properties, hence I have personally asked the police to come to help us to sort out the matter. I insist on the fact that the issue was related to the F1 hotel, and the police forces didn't stay in the Ibis for any longer than asking for my assistance. I am sorry if you felt disturbed at that time.
I will ask my Maintenance Manager to investigate the shower related problem, and will make sure this issue will be fixed in the shortest delays.
On the positive side, I am pleased you enjoyed the cleanliness of the room, and more importantly the professionalism of my Team.
I wish I will have the opportunity to welcome you back to show you that your experience wasn't a true reflection of our usual standards.