“Budget room, budget stay!”

Ibis Birmingham Bordesley
Ranked #73 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reading, United Kingdom
“Budget room, budget stay!”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Location was the biggest minus here. On a very large busy round-a-bout so rooms had road noise. Were quieter rooms round the back. I did see one but chose to be close to my colleagues instead as I felt safer. On the second evening I couldn't get into my room although I had paid for 2 nights, only to find that my belongings had been cleared out by the cleaning staff to lost property!!! Although the staff were very apologetic I never did get a clear answer why! Think it must have been something to do with seeing other room but even so not acceptable. Then on second night the minus of the location kicked in with some very noisy and odd goings on in the room across the corridor. All credit to the night staff and security as they did respond quickly and eventually deal with it and evict the people but this did take over and hour and apparently they had to call the police. Again staff were very apologetic in the morning but no discount offered.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Emmanuel R, General Manager at Ibis Birmingham Bordesley, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear Guest,
As per already answered to you on a personal email, I have asked my team to enquire about the problem of your personal belongings cleared from your room. The Reception and Housekeeping Manager will report to me promptly and will make sure that such issue doesn’t re-occur.
By the meantime, I would like to apologize about the inconvenience, and I can insure you this kind of problem won’t arise anymore.
Emmanuel ROBIN – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed here for two weeks and could not wait to leave.As this hotel also owns the F1 hotel next door and shares its reception area we were amazed and shocked at some of the activities we saw, this culminated when 8 police officers came in one night at 6.30pm and went next door to the F1, we later found out this was for a drugs bust! If you can put this to one side the staff were very polite and helpfull, the rooms were very clean. Two areas of concern about the rooms were nearly everybody's room had ill fitting windows that let cold air and adjacent road noise in, the showers could not be controlled so you would be having a nice shower when suddenly without warning it would go red hot. Another concern was the food, a basic menu that appeared and tasted as if it had just come out of a microwave and at approx £8/9 a meal was not good value.

Room Tip: Do not get a room at the front of the hotel as you will not get much sleep due to all the noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Emmanuel R, General Manager at Ibis Birmingham Bordesley, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thanks for letting us know your feedback about your recent stay in Ibis Hotel.
I do apologize for the window issue you have experienced, and you will be pleased to know that we had recently changed 47 of these window mechanisms which had a slight malfunction problem.
The feedback we have received since the change is well improving.
I don't know if you have reported this issue on reception desk, but if you did, I am confident my Team will have given you another room.
We have had a police intervention indeed recently on the F1 hotel, but it wasn't for a drug related issue, but more for a guest domestic related issue. We are taking very seriously any kind of disturbance in both properties, hence I have personally asked the police to come to help us to sort out the matter. I insist on the fact that the issue was related to the F1 hotel, and the police forces didn't stay in the Ibis for any longer than asking for my assistance. I am sorry if you felt disturbed at that time.
I will ask my Maintenance Manager to investigate the shower related problem, and will make sure this issue will be fixed in the shortest delays.
On the positive side, I am pleased you enjoyed the cleanliness of the room, and more importantly the professionalism of my Team.
I wish I will have the opportunity to welcome you back to show you that your experience wasn't a true reflection of our usual standards.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Down in Birmingham for the weekdn as we do every year for the Autosport show at the NEC and decided to stay in the city this year.

After finding this place on line for £32 a night per room i decided that would do and a short walk from the centre.

We arrived later on the sat night so jus wanted our rooms. We stood at the reception for about 20 minutes before the limited english speaking person could find us. Upon entering our rooms (both rooms) the smell of smoke was shocking, stail smoke, now we has been informed there was a £200 fine for this so we went down and informed the hotel. Again the man accepted what we told him and away we went. The following morning during check out and again told reception who told me because i didnt inform them the night before i would be billed. After a good bit of shouting i think we made them understand.

Hotel overall was clean and had warm water.

Didnt bother with there food. We hit the Big M next door.

Room Tip: Try and get a rom to the back of the hotel. The front road is like a race track at night.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Emmanuel R, General Manager at Ibis Birmingham Bordesley, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time leaving us your feedback about your recent stay. I feel sorry that you had been given rooms that smelt of cigarette. Please accept my sincere apologizes about the inconvenience. Unfortunately, some of our Guests do not respect the strict NON SMOKING policy of our hotels, and we do have some rooms smelling. However, we also use cleaning and airing methods that should have solved the problem. I will enquire with the Housekeeping Manager to know how the problem happened and how comes the room wasn't left out of the sales.
I am pleased to read that the rest of your stay was alright, and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you on a next visit.
Mablethorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2012

When we arrived , parking was very easy to get, the entrance was clean and tidy, our room, was clean and modern, the shower was large modern, hot and powerful, the room has coffe making facilities, all very nice, we had a good nights sleep on a comforable bed, everything was fine until we got up to find under the bed sheet, on the mattress were long black hairs along with short curly black hairs, we are both blonde so it wasnt ours, so a good stay turned bad as we both then felt a bit sick, so mixed emotions

Room Tip: avoid room 321, pull back the sheets and check the mattres before you go to sleep
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Emmanuel R, General Manager at Ibis Birmingham Bordesley, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Customer,
Many thanks for your honest feedback about your stay in our hotel. Let me first apologize for the hairs you have found on the mattress under your sheets. I will act from tomorrow in close collaboration with my Housekeeper Manager, and all mattresses will be double checked from tomorrow. I will make sure that this kind of situation doesn't arise anymore.
On the positive side, I am glad the rest of your stay was great and up to your standards. I look forward to welcome you back in our hotel.
Best regards