“Clean, efficient, good value for money, but basic”

Ibis Birmingham Bordesley
Ranked #70 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Chislehurst Kent
“Clean, efficient, good value for money, but basic”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

A single overnight stay before an early start conference. Hotel is accessible, with a huge free car park (a rarity in Birmingham). Very modern, brightly-lit , with minimal atmosphere and mainly basic, cafe-type furniture. Rooms and common areas are very functional and basic, but perfectly adequate. Beds are particularly comfortable and rooms very clean. Common areas acceptably clean. Has a bar and a cafe (I would not call it a restaurant!). It's about 20 minutes walk out of Birmingham centre - but was just 5 minutes walk from where I needed to be, so it suited me well. I've rated as "average", but, for the price (you can usually get at around £30 for a single room booked in advance) it's extremely good value for money if you're not looking for any trimmings. My previous similar stay in Birmingham was at a Travel Lodge, which cost the same, had no parking, bar or cafe (so you can't get a proper breakfast) and there is really no comparison - this is far superior. Just 2 criticisms - wine in the bar is vastly over-priced - £6.50 for a large glass is London hotel/wine bar price (it was quite good wine, but you can buy it in Sainsbury's at 3 for £12!) The "hot" breakfast (only sausage, scrambled egg, bacon, tomato and toast) and was almost cold - possibly close to dangerously so from a food health viewpoint - and this was quite early (7.30am). It cost £5 extra and, for that price, you would would probably be better advised to go to the Macdonalds next door. Overall, quite satisfactory if you're looking for economy and convenience, but not if you are looking for a gastronomic experience!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Emmanuel R, General Manager at Ibis Birmingham Bordesley, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Many thanks for taking the time to post your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am glad to read you have appreciated our hotel and its facilities such as free car park, and brand new beds changed in October. I am also happy to read the room's cleanliness was perfect.
I have noted your remarks regarding the breakfast that appeared to be not warm enough. I have reminded my teams the importance of the safe temperatures of the service (monitored at regular intervals), and we have changed our service dishes, and equipped them of a lid to keep the food as hot as possible.
Our cooked breakfast should, thanks to your pertinent remarks, satisfy most our Customers: offering a large range of hot products, as a buffet style, allowing you to go back for a second service if you wish: eat as much as you wish and start the day in the best conditions!We look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit in Birmingham.
Emmanuel ROBIN

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Somerset
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Piotr Latka, Manager, and his Team at Ibis Bordesley Circus, Birmingham were EXCELLENT. We had a ground floor room which looked out the back, it was clean, very warm and we both had a good nights sleep. Yes, the breakfast was adequate and the evening meals from the Main Menu and Snack Menu were Very Good. The Tai Curry was excellently cooked and all meals were presented very well at the table.

The bathroom is like being being in a "Tardis", very moden. The shower worked very well.

Both my wife and I have now really enjoyed our stay at this Ibis Hotel, yes, we will be back in the future sometime.

Whilst exhibiting at the NEC, we took the bus(No. 900) from opposite the Hotel straight into the Railway Station at the NEC and then walked to our Hall, 1 day we took the Shuttle Bus from the Hall to the Station as we were tired that day.

Piotr has a good Team at the Hotel.

Thank you all again. The Bali Experience, Somerset

Room Tip: I felt being on the ground floor was easy access to the Restaurant and also the car park. You really...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Emmanuel R, General Manager at Ibis Birmingham Bordesley, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Customer,
Thank you very much for you well detailed review of our hotel. I am pleased to read you have enjoyed your stay with us, and I will share, as per usual, your thoughts with my Staff to encourage them to deliver a great service and make sure they can answer all your requests.
As I told you when I met you, I look forward welcoming you back on your next visit in Birmingham, and we will provide you with the same level of care.
Best Regards
Emmanuel ROBIN
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Stayed at the IBIS yesterday with my boyfriend. Beds were amazing, food was OK i guess not the best but brekki for a fiver ain't too bad and cleanliness good aswell. Weren't too happy about the noise, so asked to get room changed to somewhere quite and was dealt with promptly. Needed help with internet, a guy came up straight away and sorted it.

Best factor would be the service the guy on reception gave, even though we had a little price problems with him at the start he did sort it with his manager promptly.

Bad factor would be the noise, if you be given a room by the lift.

Overall for 55quid well worth it, will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lift, may be a little more quite.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Garry M
Emmanuel R, General Manager at Ibis Birmingham Bordesley, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a feedback about your stay. I am pleased to read your stay was enjoyable and that our Staff has been able to sort out the few small problems you have encountered.
Our beds have been changed at the beginning of the month of October, and the feedback seems the same: they are great! You will find them in any Ibis in UK.
I look forward to welcoming you again in our Hotel.
Emmanuel ROBIN - General Manager
Consett, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed at this hotel just recently for a couple of nights and i can highly recommend it.They have a good choice at breakfast you can either have cooked or continental,fruit, yoghurts,toast,and more. They also have some wonderful mattress toppers on their beds which i found extremely good as i suffer from arthritis and i had such a good nights sleep without pain that i am trying to find out if i can buy one. We found the staff all very helpful and friendly. We will definately be back to stay at the Ibis.

Room Tip: rooms at the back may be quieter, thats what we had. There is a main road to the front. But the room...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Customer,
Thank you very much for your good comments about our brand new beds, and the quality of our breakfast. I am glad to read my Staff was helpful which is one of my priority in our day to day work: having our Staff to offer a dedicated service to all our Guests.
I am still enquiring with my head office to know who was our bed supplier and will give you the answer as soon I will get it!
I look forward to welcoming you back in our hotel.
Emmanuel ROBIN - General Manager
Leeds
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Me, my boyfriend and our friends stayed at Ibis Bordesley this week as we were going to a concert for my best friends birthday. The rooms were clean, larger than expected and bed was comfortable. The bathrooms are smart compact pods but there is enough space to move around and the shower is powerful. Only thing we found that needed improving was the service, you are waiting a while for your drinks, the girl who served us had no clue what drinks we were asking for but I don't believe it was her fault as she clearly hadn't be trained as she didn't even know how to pull a pint! But on a postivite note the staff are nice and polite and do try.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lift.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank settotravel
Emmanuel R, General Manager at Ibis Birmingham Bordesley, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for leaving us your feedback, always appreciated!
I am glad to read the room was up to your standards and that you have enjoy the comfort of our brand new beds. I do apologise for the hesitant service you have received. I have recently recruited new Staff Members, and they are on the process to be fully trained in order to give our Guests the best service. I am sorry that on that occasion it wasn't up to your standards, but I will make sure all Staff are fully trained as soon as possible, as my Team and me are working hard to focus on Customer Service. I was glad to read that they were nice and polite with you.
Please feel free to contact me on 0121 506 26 00 should you wish to discuss the matter further.
Best Regards