“You get what you pay for”

Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street
Ranked #54 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
St Helens
“You get what you pay for”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night with my grandson as we were visiting friends in Birmingham. The room was basic as expected but unbearably hot. I had emailed the hotel before we arrived asking for a cool room. I was assured that if the room was too hot I could request a fan. I went to reception after seeing the room and was told I couldn't have a fan for health and safety reasons!!! I told the receptionist about the email I had received and she turned around and gave me the fan from behind reception. The room was still too hot at night so I had to open the windows and couldn't sleep due to the sound of revellers and sirens etc. On the plus side the hot breakfast was tasty and good value for money as was the price I paid for the room. Great location for Birmingham city centre.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Joanna T, General Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Dear Jill,

Thank you for your review. While we are pleased that you found our location convenient, I am sorry that you found our bedroom too hot. I have shared your feedback with reception team and also passed on compliments to our breakfast team.
We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Joanna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
harrogate
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

Great hotel.... Clean, great staff and very comfortable but busy, busy, busy area. Car park full when we got there so we had to park on Neville street NCP. A ripping off £20 fee for less than 24 hours overnight parking. Disgraceful. Hotel great though just get there early to get a car park space and save your self some dosh. Cannot review food as we went for a curry but bar staff superb. Bar shuts around 2am I think, maybe later.

Room Tip: Park early, or pay a hefty parking charge elsewhere..... Rooms at back probably quieter. Main Stree...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Joanna T, General Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to thank you for your review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I have shared your comments with bar team and housekeeping department. I am sorry that you did not manage to park your car with us. Shall you stay with us again, we will be able to offer you a discount at the APCOA car parking opposite the hotel.

Once more, thank you for your lovely comments. They are greatly appreciated and certainly motivating.

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

This hotel was booked for us. The reception area was a mass of plastic sheets with bits of furniture strewn around. Wires hanging from ceilings, on floors and generally everywhere one looked. I did ask if the company that booked the room was told of its 'state'- they just said it was on their website!
The bedroom was ok- it was Ibis- so one tends to know what is expected however the next morning the breakfast was available in the same reception area that was the building site! Food was not too hot, serving areas spread all around the food area and when I got my Danish pastries there was a man fixing lights above me (and the food) not good at all! Staff seemed oblivious and were dealing with their own stresses of managing this awful situation. We had asked for parking to be booked in advance to be told on arrival that if there was a space in their limited area it would be £10 per night- fortunately we got the last space and paid the fee.
Would not go back!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Joanna T, General Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear Kay,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that on this occassion the quality of your stay was affected by the renovation of public areas. As kindly pointed out, we communicated information about renovation on our website. I am pleased to confirm that the refurbishment has now been completed and I am sure that you would appreciate the new modern design of our restaurant, reception and bar.

We hope to welcome you again.

Joanna

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels