“Don't stay here unless you are desparate!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Metro Inns Walsall

Metro Inns Walsall
Ranked #108 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Bungay, United Kingdom
“Don't stay here unless you are desparate!”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Having driven for over four hours to get here, I discovered that I needed to pay £3 to park in the hotel car park for 24 hours. The male receptionist was quite friendly, welcoming and helpful and directed me to the lift.
Three floors up I found my room and first impressions were quite good. I suffer from osteoarthritis and wanted a lie down after my journey. The mattress was extremely uncomfortable with springs very evident and the labelled foot end of the mattress was at the head end of the bed.
It also sagged in the middle quite alarmingly so it was a good job there weren't two people sleeping on it.
I then decided to eat in the cafe/bar and what a mistake that was. I paid over £18 for a meal I could not eat. The starter was mediocre, potato skins served with a dried out salad. The main course of a Tower Burger was inedible. The bread bun had been microwaved from frozen to the extent that is was solid. The burgers were overcooked and matched the density of the bun being cemented together with cheese. Again a dried out salad was at hand. The chips however, were quite good having been fried to order, but unfortunately I don't eat chips that often. A tub of barbeque sauce didn't even improve the meal.
I was then looking forward to a bowl with scoops of vanilla ice cream. You can't ruin ice cream! Or can you?
The barman, who had apparently prepared the previous courses appeared telling me he had given me extra to make up for the main course. Well, I received a bowl not with scoops as on the menu, but scrapings from the bottom of the carton. I even had corner shaped lumps of ICE. It tasted disgusting. Having been in the catering industry for the past 10 years, I would not even have considered serving that meal to my chickens and they eat anything.
Trying to sleep was difficult with the guests next door seemingly entertaining and judging by the mess outside the door in the morning had a good time. I couldn't watch TV as the back of the remote controller and one of the batteries was missing. I just put tissue in my ears and tried to avoid the springs!!
Breakfast however, which I prepaid online was a different matter. A well cooked English breakfast was on offer along with a buffet of juices, cereals fruit etc. My only disappointment was that it was scrambled eggs and no alternative.
Kelly, the breakfast chef was a delight, and made a note of all my complaints in the reception area.
All in all, I did not enjoy my stay and would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Thank goodness it w
as only one night. Next time it will be the Premier Inn.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank RosieRabbit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Salford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed Saturday evening and at £30 it was the cheapest option for somewhere to crash. Room we was given had a very strong smell of tobacco and there was only a double bed, we had requested an additional bed as there was my girlfriend and her 8 years old daughter. We went back to reception who handled our requests with a minimum amount of fuss, so well done to the staff.
Hotel bar was sufficient for a quick drink before we moved on to more appealing venues in the area. We was woken at 4am by a fire alarm, appears some of the customers like to have a smoke in their room.
We didn't expect the Hilton and this certainly ain't but it ticked all the boxes for this occasion.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Stayed in this hotel june 13 and was so disappointed. Rooms looked really run down, showers hardly work, only 1 towel in a double room, other guests complaining of a smell in the corridors. In the night the fire alarm went off due to someone smoking in the room, no fire Marshall and had to nter a possible on-fire building only to be abruptly told, oh, someone was smoking in a room (a health and safety officer would have a field day here) never staying here again!!!

• Stayed June 2013
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

I only paid £23 for a double room for one night which is reasonable compared to the other hotels in the Walsall area. My first impression was OK, this is due to the fact I was annoyed as the lift was broke and I had a suitcase and was 3 flights of stairs up!! The room is average size, little TV & bathroom had a few stains on the side by the tap but apart from that it was fine. Although I had a room to myself you can hear people down the corridor so it didn't feel completely as private as I would of liked. My window overlooked walsall's main road and the roof of the entrance (which had fags & knickers on-ew) wasn't great but was alright for a 12 hour visit. The location of this hotel is appalling, there is no nearby shops (walking distance) so I was forced to try out the cafes food. Surprisingly it was rather nice, unsurprisingly it was expensive although I'd rather pay that bit extra than venture out in the rain to stumble across a food shop! I'm not sure why there is so many bad reviews because the hotel was at an OK standard for a 2*. I would stay here again but only for business purposes not leisurely. For £23 a night I can't really complain.

• Stayed May 2013
Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

we booked for Saturday at Hilton park.when we got there we were told that we had booked the day before and it was for one adult.obviously a mistake on there behalf.bit my lip and contacted them.customer services said all u can do is email a complaint.I said ok and they offered to find me another hotel due to Hilton being full.he offered walsall bham at 50 pound.so I took it due to having booked cineworld tickets close by.arrived at the hotel to find dodgy electrical wiring in the bathroom.mold in the ceiling.fixtures hanging of the wall and an uncomfortable bed. tried to complain many times and got no response.can't even find a phone number to complain to.really recommend that if your looking for an hotel to go elsewhere.after seeing the dodgy wiring in the bathroom I will be reporting them to hse.

• Stayed May 2013
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Welcome to 1979! This Travelodge appears to be the most in need of refurbishment in the whole of the UK. Incredibly dated with possibly the most uncomfortable bed I have ever had the misfortune to 'sleep' in. The only way it gets the second star is due to the £30 price for a holiday weekend. They also charge for parking as well so take along £3 for 24 hours.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Having stayed in a travel lodge before I knew what to expect however as soon as I collected my key and dropped my bags off I felt uneasy about staying here
I stayed here on the 29th April for 1 night as it was too crowded to stay at my nans. I appreciate it was only £19 but you do not expect to find a bug in your bed.
I was unpacking my bags and suddenly saw a black thing crawl across the bed. My boyfriend put a cup over it so we could show the staff invade they wouldn't believe us.
We went to complain and the man on reception was just laughing because I was scared. My boyfriend demanded we have a new room and all he could say was what do you expect for £19! Nt bugs n the bed!!
We was moved to the third floor and felt uncomfortable to sleep. The bath and shower was covered in brown mould it was terrible. There was squeezing noises throughout the night which was annoying
I do not usually have anything bad to say and have no reason to complain however this is by far the worst place I have ever stayed!
I would have rather slept in the car!!!!
Do not waste £19!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NAC910
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Campanile Birmingham
#89 of 118 in Birmingham
Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7
Quality Hotel Birmingham South/NEC
BEST WESTERN Birmingham Walsall Barons Court Hotel

Been to Metro Inns Walsall? Share your experiences!