Metro Inns Walsall
$88
$84
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel(Birmingham)(Great Value!)
$90
PremierInn.com
  • Bar/Lounge
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This hotel is desperately in need of modernising. I don't mind old fashioned - I'm no prude. I have stayed in military accommodation and hostels which have been as basic as it gets and comes straight from the 1960's in terms of styling. But despite my normally happy approach to hotels I have to say this Travelodge pushed my boundaries. Not just because of the ageing varnish on almost every wooden surface, not just because of the delaminating veneer and mildew on non-varnished surfaces, not just by the CRT television with a remote which wasn't even for that model or the out of date PAT testing on the appliances. No I was pushed to new levels of tolerance for the failings in the room which as a seasoned traveller I have just come to expect. A fresh smell is what I expect, my room smelled awful and sweaty. Equipment which is fully functional is what I expect, half the lights had no bulbs and the bed was collapsing on the right hand side. A feeling of cleanliness is what I expect, the wooden surfaces felt "sticky". I did not get what I expected at all. I am not going to be mean and list everything but I am going to advise anybody that thinks of going here to avoid room 133 which is the room I stayed in. You just need to look out of the window and onto the ledge at the uneaten packet of chips, the mug, the yellow flannel or the hundreds of cigarette butts (all by a window stating that to smoke in the room is chargeable but I'm convinced they don't spend the charge clearing the smoker's evidence that's for sure!) Note: You will need to take 3 £1 coins for the pay & display car park. Note: You will need lots of change if you wish to purchase anything as there is no cashpoint onsite and virtually everything is dispensed from a vending machine. It was icy on the path from the car park to the hotel entrance. A bag of salt was lying in the middle of the path, slashed open, but nobody had de-iced the path to help paying guests to use the path. Normally I am very forgiving but what I don't forgive is laziness or lack of pride and the owners of this hotel have both in bucketfuls. Shame on them for forcing their staff to apologise to people like me for their own visibly poor attitude. I don't hold the staff in any way responsible for the poor state of décor or the low standards of cleanliness. This Travelodge exudes a "Lack of Pride". The staff seem content to do their job, which is as it should be. The owners should be ashamed of themselves. If you want a peaceful, clean sleep in a comfortable hotel, go elsewhere folks. Positives - staff are polite. Breakfast was tired but edible - it all sits on a hot plate arrangement just getting harder by the minute so don't take too long coming down for it if you've paid. Its a Travelodge - they don't do high-brow but please think carefully before choosing to come here.

Room Tip: If you must stay here and arrive by car or van then take 3x £1 coins for the car park pay & display.
Reviewed March 23, 2013

What do you expect for the price, book early, basic room, but had bath, everything worked, although the shower/bath tap was a law unto itself and wet my head several times. Good sized rooms, decent quality for the price, excellent for a cheap gettaway when you just need a place to lay your head.

Room Tip: Always ask for an extra pillow, and ask for a bath....
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Don't believe what you read I have stayed for a week and can't fault the hotel, and all the staff are very helpful especially Zoe.the room was very clean and warm my room was opposite the main road and was very quiet, all the staff work hard to make your stay enjoyable.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We arrived early evening on one of the coldest days of the year. The room was freezing with one small heater. There were two towels, one large and one small, one small bar of soap for washing hands, no shampoo/shower gel or anything. The bed had two small, flat pillows and one thin blanket. We asked for another towel and an extra blanket - the towel was not problem but we we told that they had run out of spare blankets. We had dinner there and the food was quite good - the only redeeming feature. We went to bed in our clothes but after half an hour we were still shivering so my husband had to go to reception and plead for an extra blanket, which eventually arrived. In the morning, after my shower, I discovered that there was no hairdryer. We asked to borrow one and were told 'sorry, they are all out'. I had to go to breakfast with wet hair and then go out in to a temperature of -3 and snow. Really, really disappointing.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Karen B
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip from Orpington to Liverpool.

This Travelodge is a few mins of the M6 and was convenient for an overnight stay on the way northwards up the M6.

I read the poor reviews after I had booked and wondered whether I had made a mistake but in fact the reception was welcoming and the room had all that was needed but could not be described as luxury accomodation. But at £19.99 a night I did not expect that. The fee for parking of £3 is effectively an addition to the room rate as 90% of people will want to park in the attached car park.

On the positive side - The room had a comfortable bed, a reasonable TV, a clean and tidy bathroom and a bucket seat for sitting in the room. It had all I needed but not all I would have desired - for me on a business trip I only require what I need and for things to be clean and tidy

On the negative - the wallpaper was a bit torn in parts and the power points were not positioned in a convenient way

Overall at half the price of equivalent opposition I am more than satisfied - if you are looking for luxury do not book - if you are looking for utilty this is good value.

1  Thank AandAGoddard