“Very Tired hotel and staff but fine if you get a deal and the location suits otherwise stay at the Holiday Inn”
Review of Metro Inns Walsall

Metro Inns Walsall
Ranked #109 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

This isnt the best or newest Travelodge it is in a tired old building, my room was basic clean and inexpensive at £28 for a fri night but bed rather spongy. If you get a deal then it's fine - if the people moaning about the place paid more then I can understand but for that price don't expect it to be brilliant. I stayed here as it was convenient to where I had to go but otherwise I would have stayed at the holiday inn express which was only £7 more and gets good reviews it's just a bit further out near the motorway junction. I think there is a new premier inn near the art gallery right in town which could be good but was either full or not yet built when I booked

• Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed November 16, 2012

We were shunted here at midnight after Travelodge screwed up our booking. My three year old was left on the floor with a duvet and pillow with no covers or pillowcases. The bathroom was disgusting and full of mould. All of this was eclipsed however by the experience my partner and child had the next morning when they tried to use the male toilets by the reception/dining area. . . the toilets were smeared all over with excrement. My young son was pretty freaked out. When my partner reported the state of the toilets to a member of staff she essentially shrugged and said she hadn't had time to clean them . . . this was past 11am!!!!

Filthy hotel, uninterested staff, just don't bother - pay more for somewhere that cares.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
TravelodgeUK, Guest Relations Manager at Metro Inns Walsall, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear Tabernus,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry to hear you have cause for complaint, and that your stay did not meet with your expectations on this occasion.

Your valuable comments will be used to support any improvements which may be required at this hotel.

In addition, we would like to fully investigate your concerns. To assist us with this, please can you visit our main Travelodge website and use the new ‘Contact Us’ form to securely provide us with your confirmation number and full details of your complaint.

We will then be able to fully investigate your concerns with the Hotel Management team, and provide a resolution.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights in October and had 4 rooms in total at this place. We booked this hotel during my sisters wedding for some family who had travelled over from Canada and India. We know it's the the best hotel in the world but it's walking distance from our house which was the main criteria.

The positives about this place are:
- That it is being refurbished and given a facelift. All the rooms we stayed in were the refurbished ones. If you are staying here, ask for a refurbished room at reception.
- The reception staff were always friendly and helpful.
- This travelodge has a bar on site. Not all of them do and it's on the ground floor.
- The beds are comfortable.
- Our rooms were always cleaned and towels replaced.
- The immediate area surrounding the travelodge is quite nice. The houses in the immediate area are amongst the more expensive in Walsall. This also means it is quite safe to walk around outside the hotel at any time of day.
- It is very close to junction 7 of the M6.

The negatives about this place are:
- Whilst plenty of parking space, it costs £3 per day to park. This has been implemented at numerous Travelodge hotels around the country not just this one.
- Whilst there are modern vending machines with snacks, drinks and ice creams they are expensive.
- Whilst there is a bar and restaurant on site it's not cheap for what you get
- There aren't proper cupboards in the rooms so not much hanging space.
- Whilst it is a decent area, there is not much to do in the immediate vacinity of the hotel. Even the nearest newsagent is a 10 minute walk away.
- There isn't free wifi
- The lift is tiny

Overall it's not the best travelodge in the country, but it's certainly not the worst either.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CheekyKush
TravelodgeUK, Guest Relations Manager at Metro Inns Walsall, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear CheekyKush,

Thank you for your post.

It is always good to get positive feedback from our customers after they have stayed with us. We will make sure the hotel receive a copy of your compliment.

With regards to the concerns you’ve raised, your valuable comments will be used to support any improvements which may be required at this hotel.

Once again, we thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

It strange when you get a great price for a Monday night and then when you stay you realise why ! Paying for parking is a rip off , we parked car then noticed lots of broken glass on the floor , very reassuring, was my cat going to be safe , why got clean it up. Room sparse with NO spare pillows or towels for two. We asked on leaving for meal out if they could have ready when we returned , yes no problem from the staff. We return , oh have given to somebody else ! Whats room number ? Will drop up in a minute , you can guess whats coming next .................. never arrived . Poor , Great value but just leaves you feeling happier to pay more for less tired and less than special service . Finally loo seat has not even fixed down properly , how could Housekeeping not notice and put on a fix list ? Think I know why , less than bothered to make your stay at least ACCEPTABLE. I could be staying on business for 6 months, not sure I could stay here for another 6 minutes

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear deannewton,

Thank you for your comment.

We are sorry to learn about your disappointing stay.

The points you’ve raised will be used to support any improvements which may be required at this hotel.

Your feedback is important to us, and we would like to investigate the issues. To assist us with this, please can you visit our main Travelodge website and use the new ‘Contact Us’ form, to provide us with full details of your issues and your booking number.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I have no issue with the Travelodge brand. I've stayed in at least twenty of them this year. It's cheap(ish) and (usually) reliable, but every now and then I get a bad one, and this is a bad one. It's an old, tired building. The rooms are old and tired. The only two plug points were rendered useless (for my laptop charger) by being too close to the table the were situated above for me to plug in. A twin room but towels for one. Heating didn't work, front desk were unhelpful, though that's not surprising at a Travelodge. They're a customer service business but have a cavalier approach to serving their customers beyond offering a very basic service. £3 for parking. It's not much, but most other Travelodges don't charge.

Room 115: Bed was reasonably comfortable, pillow good, bathroom clean, shower hot with good water pressure.

Last weel I stayed in a chain of Dutch hotels and for less than the price of what I paid here, I got something approaching a four star hotel.

Room Tip: One side of the hotel borders a very busy road. Avoid.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear ADInglis,

Thank you for your post.

We are sorry to learn of your disappointment on this occasion.

We would like to fully investigate your concerns. To assist us, please visit our main Travelodge website and use the ‘Contact Us’ form to provide us with full details of your issues and your booking number.

We can then liaise with the Hotel Management team and provide a resolution.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Found the hotel less than inviting curtain in room hanging off the last visitors hair in the bath flat pillows untidy staff generally awful!,, it was a cheap stay won't do it again worth paying more has to be the worst place I have ever stayed

• Stayed: October 2012
TravelodgeUK, Guest Relations Manager at Metro Inns Walsall, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Dear weany,

Thank you for your post.

We are sorry to learn of your disappointment on this occasion.

We can then liaise with the Hotel Management team and provide a resolution.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Tired, scruffy and oudated, this hotel is well in need of a re-fit. The place looks really uncared for. Not actually dirty, but not sparkling either. Reception was unmanned when I got there, and when the Receptionist did appear they were efficient enough, but not exactly welcoming.

The double room had a soft and lumpy bed, only one plastic chair to sit on and an old 14 inch tv. Yes I know it was under £30 for the night, but there are limits. Then being charged £3 to park the car feels an insult.

As others have said, the meals are basic, but actually the Pizza I had was reasonable value and hot. But if you wnat something other than burgers and pizza with bottled or tinned beer, better look elsewhere. I had breakfast at Morrisons just two iles round the ring-road, at least that was good value!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Dear Malcolm N,

Thank you for your feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Park Hotel
Beverley Hotel
Beverley Hotel
#10 of 13 in Walsall
Best Western Birmingham Walsall Barons Court Hotel

Been to Metro Inns Walsall? Share your experiences!