“Acceptable hotel in fantastic location....”

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #109 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
London
“Acceptable hotel in fantastic location....”
Reviewed July 23, 2007

I'm sorry that some people have had such horrendous experiences, but I stayed a couple of weeks ago and found the staff friendly, the rooms clean and tidy, the room service edible - and most importantly the location absolutely perfect!

It is stag and hen party central - and it won't win any Hotel of the Year rewards but for somewhere essentially used to get changed, and rest my weary head after a night out, it more than met the requirements.

The hotel also seem to have recognised what is wrong and are trying to put it right, for which they should be commended.

I would stay here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Needs renovation
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank Lolly72

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 19, 2007

I booked this hotel due to its proximity to New Street station and it is right next to it, closer than I thought. The entrance is down an alley off New Street, reception is a little small, but things went smoothly. The single room I booked was nothing special, but everything was in working order, so no complaints there. It was also quite cheap so I was not expecting anything grand. Worth the money.

• Liked — Proximity to train station
  • Disliked — My room had a view of an unattractive alley
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
london
Reviewed July 12, 2007

Well, I booked through [--] who assured me (after the fact) that the 3*** rating awarded to this monstrosity is the 'official' status and NOT of their own making. Not according to the hotel however and at least the manager I spoke with at the Britannia gets 5***** for his honesty. Having spent two nights in a room that would not have seemed out of place in The Shining or Vacancy, i decided I could take no more. I spoke with the duty manager stating that I did not feel the standard of my room (the groaning springs in the bed were an especially nice touch) was befitting of a 3*** rated hotel. Without a flicker he stated 'We don't have any stars'. Eh?What?Where?How?Who?...I was confused, distinctly remembering the website. 'No' he reiterated 'the chain won't pay for a rating'. And probably would not get one even if i would, i mused. Anyway, it's cheap, it's slap bang in the centre of things in the city centre and so long as you don't mind a room that you can't wait to get out of, then go for the Britannia....just don't trust a star rating if you see one. Because like style, class and comfort, this hotel aint got any!

• Liked — Leaving it
  • Disliked — Arriving
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank fromhell1959

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Athens
Reviewed June 24, 2007

Someone should protect the travelers from this hotel.
They charged twice my friend's credit card, they didn't give us any receipt because their system was down and they would mail them to us which it never happened, we can't contact them with e-mail and it was dirty with cold breakfast.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — It wasn't clean
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank asdv
Tunbridge Wells
Reviewed June 7, 2007

This is probably the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Read the other review, they are true.

My colleague and I were booked into this hotel by our company's booking agent as hotel rooms in Birmingham were difficult to find for
the nights we needed. When we arrived, we checked into our rooms with
the surly receptionist and then arranged to meet in the lobby later.

My room was vile. Dirty, scruffy and old fashioned. So I went out for
a walk and went round to some other local hotels to see if they had availability. Eventually we found space at the Novotel. So 2 hrs after checking in, we checked out without even staying. We were referred to the manager - I think his name was Ian, who checked the rooms we had been in, and accused us of messing them up. We had both used just one towel and soap to wash our hands. So he refused to give
us our money back saying that the rooms would have to now be serviced
before someone else could use them,. I suggested to him that perhaps they could have been cleaned before we checked in! He became quite aggressive with us, and very intimidating.

Don't even think of staying at the Britannia Hotel, Birmingham.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank KateSM
Hawkes Bay
Reviewed May 26, 2007

A colleague and I arrived at the hotel on Sunday 20th May 2007. We have both traveled and stayed all round the world, exporting from New Zealand for over twenty years. As soon as the cab pulled up at the entrance to a dirty alleyway we realised we were in trouble.
At check-in we enquired about laundry - three days !!!! we were told. When we debated this, staff blamed Head Office's choice of laundry company - more on this later.
Delays in getting to the rooms in the worlds slowest lifts was compounded by a rabbit warren of stinking corridors.
The rooms were unbelievable - I was in Room 619 my colleague two floors up.
The furniture can only have come from the rubbish tip - work surfaces damaged and dirty. Yes there was a hair dryer - that would be the thing with lumps of long hair hanging off it?
The shower over the bath still had hair on the walls and in the plug hole. The work surface of the vanity/wash basin was porous and dirty.
The TV - Ah Yes! the TV - Well if you like 14 inch flickering old colour tellys - good for you.
The wallpaper was damaged and dirty, the bed spread old and dirty. Fair enough the sheets were clean (but I think you get that at the public shelter ).
These rooms are represented on another booking site as THREE stars and "recently refurbished" - not at the 24th May 2007 they weren't. These rooms are filthy, old, unhygienic and would barely rate one star.
We put the laundry in on Monday - after pressuring them they assured us it would be back Tuesday. Tuesday night it came back - WET !!
We had prearranged a late checkout for Wednesday - then they clipped us more money for that.
This Hotel needs demolishing - Birmingham Health and Tourism authorities - shame on you for allowing it to operate.

3 Thank Stratix
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2007

Only stayed because every other hotel in Birmingham was booked (damn you The Who!!) and paid £150 for the privilege of the mankiest hotel I've ever been in. I've posted some photos which hopefully will appear here soon - if not I'll stick em on imagestation or something.

Woefully bad...

• Liked — There was nothing to like about it
  • Disliked — The fact that it was so dirty
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank arry200sx