“Do not stay here”

Ranked #109 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Scotland
“Do not stay here”
Reviewed May 24, 2007

Do not be fooled by the web site......This hotel is terrible and the prices for everything is a complete rip off.......No point in me repeating all the terrible comments already said....but do not stay here....!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank MandC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
wandering
Reviewed May 20, 2007

Been to lots of pretty terrible places across the World, this is easily up there with them.

Rude staff, huge queues in a dimly lit reception area, dirty communal areas and really horrid room. Grimy covers, 70s decor and a TV like I have not seen for 20 years.

If you are desparate and the pavement is your only other alternative then OK, otherwise keep driving!

• Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank noooooooooo

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Lancashire
Reviewed May 20, 2007

I have just returned from a week’s course in Birmingham for which my company booked this Hotel through their usual booking agent.

I had requested 5 Nights arriving late Sunday 13th May and departing Friday 18th May

The Britannia on New Street looked reasonable enough and quite adequate for my needs when i checked out their website

Unfortunately this was not the case and I ended up only staying one night which I have to say was one too many.

The hotel is the dirtiest and most vile I have ever had the misfortune to stay in.

Having arrived late at 8.30pm I checked in and left my bag in my room without taking much notice other than thinking that it’s not the nicest room.

The bar / restaurant only offers sandwiches on Sundays and given that room service is meant to be available this seemed quite poor. Poorer still were the sandwiches which were served with soggy nachos and a tired side salad not good value!! Whilst dining I chatted to a couple of other residents who asked about the standard of my room and told of their own experiences which started the alarm bells ring.

On returning to my room I soon became aware of the grimness of the situation. The room I was allocated was to say the least very tired. This is reflected by the hotel appearance and ambience mostly dark and in need of repairs / refurbishing

Draw fronts fell off / were loose

Décor stained / peeling

Bathroom had lots of stains / mould / broken tiles etc.

Capet was ok

The bedspread had numerous stains and I would suggest that these were probably Semen

The blankets also had various stains and hairs (pubic or pet?)

I would have checked out there and then had it not been so late. I did actually call our hotel reservations company and left a message (out of hours). I only decided to stay after removing the bedspread and blankets from the bed. The saving grace was that the sheets did appear to be fresh and well laundered.

After a poor nights sleep I went to the breakfast room promptly at 7am. No hot items were ready and it was after 7.30 (when I left) that that these would have been served. I had coffee which was foul and 2 slices of toast which was ok.

In the breakfast room other guests were planning on moving out and no one seemed to be enjoying the experience.

On checking out I was asked why I was not staying longer and when I mentioned the cleanliness of the room this was not challenged nor did I receive an apology.

Had I not asked for a copy of the bill they would have over charged for the room by £26, supposedly this was refunded back to the card. I guess this will serve them well if it is a regular occurrence.

I would also add that there is was a large sign in the room sugesting that all valuables are taken with you when your not there which leads you to think that security and maybe your own personal safety is a issue.

My summary of the Britannia is that is a “Flea Pit” and that it falls way below any basic standards.

How the environmental health department at Birmingham Council have missed this is a mystery

I would have given this Hotel Zero but the minimum is one hence i guess why it manges to score a high 1.5

• Liked — The Exit Door
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank Martin C
BirminghamBritannia, Reservation Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, May 26, 2007
Britannia Birmingham is currently undergoing a multi million pound refurbishment to include 20 brand new bedrooms and the refurbishment of our current bedrooms and public areas. Any disruption to guests will be kept to an absolute minimum.

Being a City Centre Location, we advise all guest to take their valuables with them or alternatively they can be kept in the hotel safe. All bedrooms are fitted with electronic key card locks adding extra security to guests rooms.
Rochdale, Lancs
Reviewed May 18, 2007

Fortunately I only stayed one night here. I was staying with my teenage son, as he was performing at the Music for Youth Festival. The only advantage to the hotel was that it was central and within walking distance of places to eat and getting to the music venues. Otherwise it was dreary and very dog-eared. The room was decidedly tatty and in need of refurbishment. The bathroom was just about bearable in terms of cleanliness. The tea-making facilities were only half -filled and one of the lights was not working.The reception staff were OK and did kindly allow my son to practise with his vocal group in a function room upstairs. In the morning there was water pouring down from one of the rooms into the landing so it was causing real problems with the lift access. Breakfast was about average. In summary, the hotel looked and felt neglected. I am sure there are better hotels around.

• Disliked — The overall state of the room and the hotel decor, state of repair and cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank Vee7
Shoreham-by-Sea, West Sussex
Reviewed May 1, 2007

The Britannia is in the heart of Birmingham city centre and very convenient for New Street station and the shops. The interior is quite dark and dingy and everywhere is in need of some redecoration and renovation. My room was functional, but not particularly clean; the bathroom had only been very basically cleaned.

The restaurant is disappointing and I wouldn’t recommend it.

I stayed at the hotel as I had a meeting there on the ninth floor. One word of warning, if the hotel is full (as it was when I was there) and you need to check out and get to conference floor to use the function rooms, start at about 7 am! The lifts can’t cope with the volume of traffic.

• Liked — Its central location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness in rooms
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank chalkhills
BirminghamBritannia, Reservation Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, May 22, 2007
Britannia Birmingham is currently undergoing a multi million pound refurbishment to include 20 brand new bedrooms and the refurbishment of our current bedrooms and public areas. Any disruption to guests will be kept to an absolute minimum and we look forward to receiving your custom again in the future.
Chichester, UK
Reviewed February 19, 2007

...it wasn't quite as bad as some of the reviewer’s experiences. I was staying for business, and it was so cheap and central I decided to risk it.

Plus Points:
It is very close to the train station, and just round the corner from the bull ring. There is an Odeon cinema opposite, and shopping is all around you. There is a taxi rank just round the corner.

Poor Points
Front door was broken, and had to enter via the fire exit. The reception staff were sultry and didn't speak English very well, so unexpected questions were met with a frown and repetition of the previous unhelpful statement. The room I was first in was small, fairly grubby and very old fashioned decoration. The plugs were all the old round headed type except one, so charging a laptop and phone at the same time was not an option. The TV reception was terrible - in the end I had to change rooms. The porter was very helpful in this regard, and offered me complimentary breakfast for my stay to apologise for the inconvenience. This was disputed by staff at every breakfast however, so wasn't very nice. The breakfasts were VERY average - don't pay £10 for cereal, go out. My second room was bigger, but that talking bollard outside was annoying - other people have mentioned this!

So I definitely wouldn't stay again - it was all a bit depressing, and there is plenty of choice in B'ham, so look elsewhere!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Poor TV Reception
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank SagarFuzz
stroud
Reviewed February 12, 2007

We arrived to a very rude reception where the staff were unhelpful and had no interest in dealing with any situations that arose.
Upon entering the room it looked like the room had been broke in before with the lock being moved around the door.

When we entered it was like stepping into a time warp of the 70's. The room was dirty, out dated and disgusting. The pinnacle of the room was when we found pubic hair in the bedding along with it being dirty anyway. This just about topped our visit as we had come up for family get together and this had destroyed our weekend. The room was that vile that we couldnt even bring ourselves to stay and went to check out approximately 20 mins later.

When we went to check out we were asked if there was anything wrong with the room, we told them it was a dirty vile room which was promptly met with a ok then.

Stayed January 2007