“What a dump” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #108 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
nottingham
“What a dump”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2006

We booked in to this hotel for two nights on business, 12th and 13th January 2006. It was like an episode from "Fawlty Towers" My advice is just don't go there. Room very small,furniture falling apart and on 7th floor with lift only stopping at random floors. We got to 8th floor after 10 minutes and walked down. Lift opened at lower basement which was awful (glad I had not eaten!) Tried to get a snack at the bar, this was barricaded by two vending machines and the only seats were broken. Tried to get down the stairs from the 7th floor only to find obstacles all the way, old carpets, furniture, wood with 2 inch nails sticking out and stair treads that were dangerous. My husband decided to check out as our personal safety was at risk. We were late for our meeting (also had to fetch and move the car) and had to pay full price at another hotel, the first alternative that we tried was full! Not the best frame of mind for a business meeting!!!!

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank cjb4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2005

Apparently I stayed in a different hotel than many of the other reviewers. The "B" is in an excellent location, right across the street from New Street station and a few steps from Sainsbury's. My room was rather large for a single and the bathroom was roomy and clean. Every hotel has a few quirks; this one definitely does, and it is a bit overpriced, given the fact that breakfast isn't even included. But the plusses outweighed the minuses for me, and I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2005
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2005

it's true - its all true what they say on NO account stay in this hotel.

peeling wallpaper, no heating , no hotwater, no service - I checked out the same night at 10.00pm as i was unable to have a bath and they were still letting people in despite the fact that the boiler had broken down

stay at the novotel on Broadstreet, they arranged for a taxi to come and pick me up and then upgraded me when they heard of my terrible story of woe - the rooms are formulaic but very clean and the staff at the Novotel are just lovely and all for the same price as the Britannia

DONT STAY AT THIS HOTEL

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2005

I was unfortunate that my company travel agent booked me into this dump. I am from South Africa and here in the UK on business. After spending a few nights at another very classy hotel i was moved, due to room availibility and was recommended by that hotel that I should try the Brittania. We booked in for three nights but after the first night there was no way that I was gonna spend another second in that place.

Firstly, the personell at the reception could not give me directions to the hotel. Then we had to park the car in a public parking lot about 200m from the hotel. there was no porter available to help us carry our luggage.

When i got to my room, there was cigarretes in the ashtray, coffee in my cups, dirt on the floor, nothing was clean. After risking my life taking the elevator downstairs (and i say risking my life cos it sure felt like it) i managed to get another room.

The room was "clean" thank god. The TV was on the floor with a remote that didnt work. The furniture looked as though they hadnt ever been cleaned and the room sure smelt that way. I struggled to get sleep that night cos I couldnt get past feeling really dirty. I was awoken early the next morning by the soothing sound of a passing train. I could go on...

So if youre one for adventure and living in the edge, this is the place.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2005

As a seasoned traveller I have stayed at many 3 star hotels and on the whole they are effecient but boring,usually run by chains.The Britannia on the other hand is never boring.The whole experience may be rubbish in terms of quality but there is always plenty of "free" entertainment on offer.
Sure the chain hotels fulfill their jobs with the standard waffel about "mission statements" and "customer service" and "reaching out to fulfill customer goals".

The Brittania offers no such nonsense just a crap hotel offering crap service,rather like Tony Blair admitting he's a crap prime minister and doing away with spin docters.
An hour spent sitting in reception listening to all the complaints is sheer comedy at its very best.I've seen everyone from the single traveller to the whole crew of a Pakistani airline battling with staff who either don't care or are simply worn out with constant abuse.

When the Brittania Hotel eventually closes or is comletely refurbished Birmingham and this website will lose and I suspect miss a great instution and talking point

• Stayed October 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2005

The location is excellent for shopping as only a few minutes walk between here and the Bullring. However it is a small trek to Broad Street and the more hip evening areas.

The room was very dingy – it was extremely dark even with all the lights on and the curtains open in the day. Bathroom was clean but the rest of the room looked really dated. Quite a long room so plenty of space for our shopping bags (!). Room felt unclean and definitely in need of redecorating! Noise from other rooms and the corridor was very loud at night.

Staff are extremely rude - did not encounter anyone remotely pleasant on the reception desk. But worse of all was at breakfast when the very rude head waitress assured us that our rate did not include breakfast. Unfortunately we did not have our email confirmation of booking on us so it was really our word against theirs. We were sent to reception and told that we could either pay for breakfast and then have it refunded if indeed it was included in our rate or we could go without. Eventually they agreed that we could have breakfast so long as we faxed them a copy of the booking confirmation the next day. And was breakfast worth it?!! What do you think! Very small buffet and after all the negotiating we only had 20 minutes to eat before the end of breakfast so several items had run out and were not restocked. Cannot believe they actually expect people to pay for this!

We did fax the hotel the booking confirmation and yes it did include breakfast. I found out later that the same thing had happened to someone we knew only they had not persevered and so had missed out on breakfast. There also appeared to be other guests who had breakfast included but who were refused this by the hotel during our stay. Funnily enough a few weeks later we looked on laterooms (who we had made the booking through) for another Birmingham hotel and saw that the rate had been changed for this hotel – same price but no longer including breakfast.

How is this hotel still in business? This was the 1st time I stayed in Birmingham - have been back several times since and there are plenty of nicer hotels - Britannia seriously needs to sort itself out.

• Stayed October 2004
6 Thank NixKitz
england
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2005

I was hoping for a romantic weekend for me and my boyfriend. We often travel to Birmingham as i live in the North and he lives in the South. We both love birmingham, it's a fantastic city, with lots to do and see, it doesn't deserve it's bad reputation one bit!

Anyway, as this was our 3rd trip in a couple of months, and our last for about a year, we decided to try a different hotel, and due to the location (almost opposite NewStreet Station) we decided we would go there. Stupidly I too didn't read the previous reviews of the place.

When I arrived at 4pm ish, the room i was given was still being cleaned, so after another 30 mins i was given another room. I might have well stayed put in the first room. the whole place is horrible, it hasn't been decorated for years, the carpet worn bare in places, with dark brown paint on all the woodwork.

the room was as bad, a sickly old green, again very very old and dated, with the same brown painted wood. and as people have said, the tv looked like my nan had donated it to them. We didn't turn it on as we were convinced it might explode.

the bath room was quite nice, and clean, sort of a marble effect, although very small.

to top it all off, at 3 am on our last night the fire alarm went off, and we were made to stand in the main street in Birmingham in our night ware for nearly an hour. The staff handling of this was very very poor, and i'm glad to say it was a hoax, as no one was around to direct us to the ground floor safely. there were many familys and children who were obviously scarred, and the staff did hardly anything to reassure.

it's clearly under staffed. although it was moderatly clean and in a good position, there are a hundred better hotels in the area.

• Stayed August 2004