“what a joke”

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #110 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed January 1, 2014

it start off trying too find the place is a night mare then my brother goes in to find out where to park and get given a address of a car park only by postcode so we parks up walks the 1.5miles back to the hotel check in to find your not aloud not 1 too help u with bag or to see you in to your room the staff are just a joke with manners we was spoken to like( what can I do for u ) as a first contact line then I goes up too the room well what a joke the toilet had never seen a brush then I check the bath still had the scum line what looked for the previous 3 people ewe then I looked at the hand towel to find it had blood streaks on it so I didn't not both too look at the bath towel as I bought my own thank god I when too use the cup to make my self a cuppa to find I had to wash it as it have been used or not wash up correctly then I noticed the floor looked like some1 had either broken their nose or some1 had cut them self red patches every where the wall are like ply board so you can hear everything and I mean everything people are doing the window don't even close and even if they do the sound profane of them are rubbish because the aint double glazed the whole time I was there was just a joke its manager want massive kick right up the bottom as for only the guest staying in the room ha ha ha not a chance 1 of the room at 1 point I was told was for 2 people had over 12 people in it if there was a fire in the hotel I would never have know what to do or go the whole hotel is just a joke I don't advise anyone to stay at all I did not see what the food service was like if the state of the bed rooms is bad I could reakon the food service in appalling

Room Tip: don't bother with this hotel at all it is a joke
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear Guest

Please accept my sincere apologies that the hotel did not meet with your expectations.

As I would advise any guest, should you experience any issues during your stay or wish to raise any concerns you feel should be brought to our attention, there is a Duty Manager available 24 hours per day who will gladly assist you in making your stay a much more comfortable and enjoyable one enabling you to leave the hotel with a more favourable view

The Hotel does not have a Car Park, but the postcde we issue to Guests (should they wish to use it ) is no more than a 5 minute walk away.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

New Years Eve in this hotel was £59 which wasn't highly priced for new year but with good reason.

After being checked in by a very abrupt man on reception and given no directions to our room at all we arrived.

The corridors are long and unattractive

The room was one of the poorest rooms I've been in this year for state of repair

The presence of a rubber antislip mat in the bath is something I haven't seen for years. The shower control had visibly been repaired as it had while silicone slapped all over it.
Shower worked and water was warm

In the room there was very little light
One bedside lamp
A table lamp with no bulb
A ceiling lamp at the door that didn't work
Reception when we plugged our room phone in didNt seem at all interested.
The TV is very old and had been damaged on the corner so it had been repaired with tape.
The coffee had no brand name at all

Finally the bedding mmm noticed flood in the morning on the quilt, checked everywhere I hadn't been bleeding so not sure how clean that was
The furniture also wherever it had a sill or ridge had visible embedded dirt as did many of the ledges in the staircases

All in all a dire place as its old and not even clean

Positive very central and near new street station

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 1, 2014

The location is very good but when I came to that hotel reception looks like they doesn't looks like they wanna work in that hotel to be honest looks like someone push them to work there, it's not looks very good for the gest when I got my key card to the room I went to the lift area and the walls are so dirty floor as well phone is like from 1950 yr and I'm not gonna tell anything about the time when I was spend waiting for the lift (about10min) terrible next thing is when I open my room I check the toilet and bath it's so dirty and the mess was left after previous gest I could see that because in a bath was blue stain after blue shower gel whatever it was , and the sink was so terrible distroyed, ok so I want to the room and I have seen the bed but it's not a bed it's two big puffs joined together hmm rediceles and the best linien wasn't changed at all oh sorry only one pillow case was changed because I could smell perfume of the previous gest also I'm working in the hotel as well so I know when someone haven't change linien and the very bad smell of dump or something in all hotel , this hotel charged me 79pounds per night when I checked in and I sow my room in that condition I checked out stright away and the girl on reception just look at me like I said something new like she never seen that before and I went to the Diffrent much Better hotel also i wanna say i was in a diffrent hotels 3stars much Better than that hotel and higher standard also cheaper ! That hotel need full renovation ,very good location but very sad people doesnt care about this hotel at all (31.12.13)

Room Tip: U can get Better hotel in the same or cheaper price
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations at this time.

I will of course pass your comments onto the relevant department managers for improvements to be made where deemed necessary

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Was pretty desperate for a room. No sign posts to room numbers. Long weird hairs in the bath. Room is falling apart. Lift smells of excrement/care home. Single glazed so pretty noisy/cold. Lady at reception was fairly friendly/helpful!

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Guest,

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Ok This hotel is dated and needs a makeover, but dependent on your expectations it is perfectly adequate. If you want pristine rooms and facilities go elsewhere. Plenty of Travelodges and Premiers in Birmingham as well as other hotels. If you think you will be happy with good service, good food and friendly staff( try talking to them ) give this hotel a go .The heating system might clunk a bit but it works and some of the guests make far much more noise. It is a bit shabby in places. Wont kill you. Couldn't wish for a better location, We're all different obviously and have different tastes but book in advance and get a good deal and give it a try and make your own mind up. You may be pleasantly surprised .We were

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank curlew123

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am so pleased that you took the opportunity to sample first hand the perfect location, and exceptional value for money we at Britannia Hotel Birmingham offer, and were not put off by some of the negative reviews posted here.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night as needed somewhere to stay after a night out with friends and it had a central location.
This hotel is not very inviting from the outside, and the decor is shabby and dated. It doesn't give a great first impression, however we were expecting the worst after reading the reviews, and we were actually pleasantly surprised with the room itself. It was spacious and clean, with a pretty powerful shower. The bed was comfortable and there wasn't too much noise on the 9th floor.
This hotel wouldn't be my first choice to stay again, however it's not that bad if all you want is a base to sleep in. I couldn't really fault the room itself, but the hotel does need a makeover.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Well stayed in this hotel over Xmas, One star hotels I have stayed in would jumped over the head of this hotel. The general manager was extremely rude, and the entertainment manager was not much better, I was on the 5th floor and you could hear the disco loudly at 11.45. Not enough lifts when over 100 people are checking in, not organized at all. The food was terrible, and we were seated 25 on my table, so what a poor xmas dinner. Everything frozen no taste, and cold. no entertainment only bingo quiz and disco, floor not big enough to dance on, in fact people went out to a well know chain steak restaurant to eat and drink there. Bedding never change in the 5 days I was there, lights not on when people were walking up the stairs, so that was dangerous. All toilets on 2nd floor or Muezzin were locked or not working when I tried them.this is the floor with no lights on the stairs The rooms had walls similar to studded walls so I could hear next door going to the toilet and even the channel they were watching on the mono tv, no digital here. Fighting outside the hotel. Very noisy people and children running up and down, when you were trying to get your dinner from the cold buffet suppose to be hot. Definitely would not put any weight on although it was a buffet, you were restricted in what you could eat., You could not have 2nd helping of the meat that they were serving. No stars for this 3 star and I would not recommend it to my enemies. I forgot, dirty wallpaper and the carpet could be cleaned, How could the Britannia hotels put up with this manager. I have been 4 times but never to one as bad as this. Britannia management board get you act together

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank dianemary51

Dear Guest

I apologise that we were not up to your liking or standards, as you kept commenting during your stay to myself and all other members of staff you shouted at, you couldn't wait to put your bad review on trip advisor, at least you were true to your word.

I take offence to your comments, as I did to your screaming in my face during your arrival at the Hotel, even before you stepped foot inside, as was explained to you after you went to look for the toilet you were directed to, the area you were in was roped off as no Guest should have been there, hence no lights other than the emergency lighting.

I can assure you that all toilets were open when you arrived, and throughout the duration of your stay

I can only say that tens of Guests commented to me about how much they had enjoyed their stay, and how well we had looked after them.