“A Good Location & Cheap, But that's it.!”

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #109 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I recently stayed here for the third time through no part of my planning.
My first visit was okay as it was for one night, my flight was getting me into Birmingham late in the day and I just needed somewhere to rest.
On arrival into the foyer I was greeted by a receptionist who when I gave my name failed to find me on the hotel system, I assured her that I was booked as I had done so myself but she fobbed me off and asked if I wished to book a room. Now I am a very reasonable person and believe that we can all have 'off' days and perhaps this person was having one of those. Another person came to the reception and I called him and asked him to check the bookings, he did and quite easily found my booking.

The room was a twin room which was dark, small and stuffy. The bathroom was basic and in need of refurbishment but to me I felt it would do for one night and one night only.

The second visit was booked as a surprise by my partner, I didn't want her to see I was disappointed in her choice of hotel but thought we will be just fine that I'm pretty sure two nights in a double room might have something to offer.

Our flights to Birmingham were delayed that day so I rang and spoke to a girl on the phone, she confirmed my booking was safe and assured me she put a note on our booking stating we would be arriving late that evening. I thanked her.
On arrival that evening we went to check in only to be told that there were no double rooms left, I showed the receptionist our booking form which showed a booking made some months previously for a double room. He stated that there was nothing he could do that they had given away the last double room. I stood there and couldn't believe what I was hearing. The receptionist offered us two single rooms and said he would have a double room for our second night. It was late, we had travelled some distance and had no other choices so took these two single rooms.
The rooms were closer to cells, my girlfriend was in tears. When I walked into her room the light was broken and we could feel glass on the floor. We retired to my 'cell' where I slept on the floor beside the single bed my girlfriend was in.

The next morning we approached the reception and asked that they rectify this issue. We got a very basic double room with the offer of a meal and bottle of wine as an apology. It was a horrendous visit and I swore that I would never stay there again.

So on to the third visit and how that came about. Friends of our ours were booking a trip to a show and we said we'd come along. I couldn't believe it when they told me we were booked into the Brittannia!

On arrival I found the manner of the receptionist to be very abrupt, perhaps another one having a bad day. We were given our keys to our double room.
On arrival in this room we found it more pleasant and fresher than our previous experiences.

The Brittania is a very basic hotel. If you book well in advance you will get a cheap deal. It is in a good location being only two minutes from New Street train station but do not expect any creature comforts or luxury and if you're lucky you may meet one of the few happy and helpful staff members.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fortypence
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations at this time.

Staff are available and on duty 24 hours per day and had you made them aware that you were unhappy with the accommodation provided, they would have been able to assist you in making your stay a much more comfortable and enjoyable one

I will of course pass your comments onto the relevant departmental managers for improvements to be made where deemed necessary

Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (2,743)

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Really good value and superb location right in the city centre. The big bonus for me is that they offer a whole floor of rooms for smokers! The lift was a bit 'hit and miss' but overall we had a most enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Smokers' rooms all on the 7th floor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am so pleased that you took the opportunity to sample first hand the perfect location, and exceptional value for money we at Britannia Hotel Birmingham offer, and were not put off by some of the negative reviews posted here.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

It is winter, cold, snowy and grey. This hotel is not an escape from the outside. The condensation runs down the windows and wall and the noise from inside the hotel is such that I am constantly woken by banging fire doors, room doors and outside noise. My room was so tiny that I had to put my suitcase on my bed to get to the bathroom. On the goodside the hotel is cheap, right in the mall and has a huge (but very stodgy) full breakfast. It looks and feels like an episode of Fawlty towers where you are trying to get served, none of the phones or lifts are working properly and there is some strange British food from the 1960's being served.

I was here for the world scrabble championship so the hotel was convenient but that was about all.

Room Tip: As for a room away from the lifts and with a window out to the mall.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations at this time.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stayed here a while ago but after staying in other hotels in the area, I have decided to write a review. I have stayed at other Britannia hotels else where in the country and I have to admit the room I stayed in was very dated. I hardly slept due to noise of people talking through the windows to each other and people walking up and down the corridor and this was on a Sunday night plus the heating system work me up at 5 in the morning. The huge old tv took up to much space in the room and could not really be watched comfortably on the bed or on the seat, everything was dated. Plus side the room had a large bathroom with a bath. Staff seemed ok when I checked in. It is bang in the shopping centre however not close to parking but good if arriving into new street station.

I rather pay a few more pounds and stay else where in the city.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Dear Guest

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet your standards at this time.

The hotel accommodates 2000+ guests on a weekly basis and I believe that we offer excellent value for money.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Hotel itself is pretty grubby, however our room was nicer and larger than expected. Good central location however if you bring a car- you have to park in an ncp car park 'nearby'. As we were completely unfamiliar with the city, we found it really difficult to find the correct car park and settled on any ncp we could find- leaving us having to shell out £40 on overnight parking!! Staff in hotel were not especially helpful, offering generic replies and not much sympathy for the distress caused by trying to find the car park for over an hour. Won't be staying here again- you're better off spending an extra £20 per night for a nicer hotel with a car park.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Tabs123
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Dear Guest

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet your standards at this time.

The Hotel has no Car Parking and we dont advertise as such, the Staff do all they can to direct Guests with cars to the local NCP, so I disagree with your comments and I feel the Hotel is not responsible for Guests travel arrangments to the Hotel.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Booked two twins for three people two nights but only ended up with one twin which as it turned out had three beds in it (so had we been told we could have saved a bob or two!)
the room was fine but as previously said got a bit hot even with windows open. Didn't have breakfast as we thought it was very expensive (over £10 each even though the room rate was very competative bearing in mind the great locaiton of this hotel - it is literally a couple of minutes walk from New Street and Snow Hill stations and right in the main shopping areas. It appeared to be very busy with a mix of workers; lad's night out; foreign tourists and those other simply requiring a bed in the City centre. Toiletries and provided as is tea/coffee and the TV was on a shivel base so could be watched from any angle. One wardrobe and several clothes drawers - all adequate for our short stay. One of the lifts was being replaced while we were there but this was not a problem. Staff were efficient and helpful enough. There is a restaurant and a bar but we ate out. Would probably use this hotel again but perhaps check out the room before booking.

Room Tip: Check the location of your room before unpacking! Many don't have any views at all.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review which will be shared with the rest of the Staff.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Start with the positives great location. Room was a good size apparently it was a superior room why i have no idea? It had a whirl spa bath great you might think but the plug was too small for the bath so you couldnt use it! Had to have a shower and i hate showers! Now for everything else! Room was very hot air con rubbish fan in room but no sockets only at far end of room so you couldnt feel benefit of it,also it meant you either had to take out the tv or kettle to use it! TV was that small impossible to watch it from the bed. There was a very small bar and not very much or very good sitting area lady behind bar was pretty useless! She got orders wrong couldnt remeber if she had given you your change or not. Breakfast was ok fod not hot only warm not much choice toast you couldnt eat because it was that hard because it was left on the buffet already done! Only one lift was working and when you are on the 9th floor as we were you needed the lift. Only had the one night here probably wouldnt stop again unless i got a really cheap deal.
The room was clean so well done to the cleaners because that is the most important part if the place is not clean it really doesnt matter about anything else!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.