“Never again!”

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #110 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I had the misfortune to stay a night at this hotel recently - but never again. The room was scruffy and very old-fashioned with utility furniture which looked as though it had been there from the 1940s. Food was dreadful and staff perfunctory at best. Shocking value for money.

Room Tip: Avoid it if you don't want to be disappointed.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear Guest

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet your standards at this time and wish that you had brought this to our attention during your stay, as it would have given us the opportunity to address your concerns first hand, and allowed you to leave the Hotel with a more favourable outlook.

The hotel accommodates 2000+ guests on a weekly basis and I believe that we offer excellent value for money.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Don't bothering staying here,Staff were extremely rude,room was very dated with only one workng plug socket in it. I booked a room for 2 people there was only 1 bath towel in room for us. Hotel check out time is ridiculous, I mentioned when checking in to hotel I would be leaving late as was going out. Staff said that wouldn't be a problem but failing the mention to me that check out time was 11am. Got a rude awakening when a hotel staff mention just walked into our room without even knocking even worst I got charged for late checked out even know I explained the situation to them. Only good thing about hotel is that is a central based hotel. But theres plenty of good hotels around so don't bothering going here.

Room Tip: Don't bothering going here and a complete dump.

Dear Guest

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet your standards at this time.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I really want to share my experience in Britannia hotel in Birmingham, its really funny after we request an extra bed for my child. My husband and I fixing the bed on our own and then we saw this a used pink panty inside it! gross!! hope the hotel management see whats going on inside there storage room..

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Hotel is in excellent location, 1 minute from Birmingham New Street station and the Bull ring in the City Centre. Room was clean and just what was required for one night. Seen complaints about thin walls on trip advisor however we had a room 6th floor and was fine. Also extra bonus which I'm not sure how often is on was happy hour £1.75 a pint until 7pm

Room Tip: Advice is to ask for a room on a higher floor and out the was so no city centre noise.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your comments which will be shared with the rest of the Staff.

I am so pleased that you took the opportunity to sample first hand the perfect location, and exceptional value for money we at Britannia Hotel Birmingham offer, and were not put off by some of the negative reviews posted here.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

This hotel is right opposite New Street station, so very central to Birmibgham's shopping area.

The hotel looks very old fashioned so is somewhat dark and rather dreary. However for the very reasonable price it is great for a stay of a day or two. I would say that the charge of £10.50 for breakfast is steep.

The bedrooms are clean and the beds quite comfortable so long as you don't lie too near to the edges! Heating and bath controls are excellent as you don't need a science degree to operate them as you do in some hotels.

All in all I would be quite happy to stay there whenever I need to visit Birningham.

Room Tip: Book in advance as it is very popular.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Reviewed May 11, 2013

My wife and I spent two nights in the Britannia Hotel in Birmingham, and I think it best to describe it as 'tired'.
The lifts can be entertaining as they are a bit slow and few and far between at 'peak' periods, we were on the fourth floor so chose to walk some times!
Our room was a bit dreary and one of the first things we noticed was the net curtain hung at a permanent angle due to the draught through the (closed) single glazed window. This was not necessarily an issue as we like an open window anyway. On the down side, having a room that looked over New Street meant that there was quite a lot of noise from the street both late at night (i.e. the youths and other late night revellers), and early morning (delivery lorries and street cleaning vehicles).
Also the wardrobe posited by the door had no light shining into it so the torch I always carry on these occasions came in handy!
The hotel is conveniently located for exploring the centre of Birmingham including the Bull Ring and New Street Railway station. Our requirement for our Birmingham break was a hotel to act as a 'base' and in that respect the venue met the criteria 100%.
One thing I would compliment the hotel for was some great meals, both breakfast & evening meal. The restaurant & food may be described as 'no frills' but being a seemingly unlimited help yourself buffet, both of us thought it was very good value for money and certainly cooked fresh for the meal times we attended.
Not the best hotel I have ever stayed in but the room rate we got was quite reasonable so in the end you get what you pay for!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking New Street can be noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed on a Saturday night to go to the 80's club 'Reflex' up the road, our 80's experience started earlier than planned.
The first room was shocking and we walked straight out back to reception (Dirty bathroom, stains on the walls / ceiling / furniture, chewing gum stuck to bedside table, dirty curtains, half the light bulbs blown). The guy on reception offered us another room (An executive suite) and we were taken up with another guy to see if we were happy with it. Both were polite and no complaint with the staff there. The 'executive suite' was a lot cleaner, but still very dated and stuck in the late 80's. The red sofa in the room made us laugh as two of the legs were broken and was like a seesaw when one of got on or off.
Had a good night out in Birmingham and came back to hotel for a couple of drinks. The bar was also very dated and the lager came flat in a chipped glass. Couldn't be bothered to complain by now so headed back to our room with a few bottles. Had a good nights sleep so no complaint there.
Hotel ok for somewhere to sleep, but don't expect to much until it has a major revamp.

Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies that some aspects of your stay did not meet with your expectations.

I will of course pass your comments onto the relevant department managers for improvements to be made where deemed necessary.