Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
2,832 results
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Well I wasn't after luxery , cheap , central and good following an office night out !!! Chaotic check in , slow lifts , tired rooms but the price I paid I new it wasn't going to be the best !! That said bed comfy , room cleanish , bathroom functional !!! You wouldn't choose this hotel for a romantic break but following an office party - perfect !!! Wiffi appalling but hey didnt need to do any reports.
I would stay again

• Stayed: May 2012
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies that some aspects of your stay failed to meet with your expectations, I will of course pass your comments onto the relevant departmental managers and improvements will be made where deemed necessary

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I booked a double room at this hotel via booking.com for 26th March 2013 night as we needed a city centre accommodation for an one night.
This is the worst ever hotel I stayed for my entire travel life. When we arrived, receptionist told me that there will be 2 pound extra charge if I want to pay my room bill by card and I have to seek a cash machine at late night to withdraw money. We were checked in to a room which had blood spots on the carpet (see photo). After about 15 minutes, we were transferred to another room. The carpet is filthy, dust is all around, no proper grouting on tiles, TV didn't work at all, remote was broken...etc. What else can go wrong? This hotel is not suitable at-least to accommodate dogs, never for humans. I was wondering why this place still exists than demolish by council or other authority. In addition, a 3rd party channel like booking.com selling rooms on behalf of the hotel? I have totally lost the confidence over booking.com as well.
In conclude, never ever stay at this hotel and please find somewhere else if you need comfortable sleep.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank urbanpassportnsw

Dear Guest

Please accept my apologies that the hotel did not meet with your expectations.

I will pass your comments onto the relevant department managers and improvements will be made where deemed necessary

Reviewed April 16, 2013

After reading all the terrible reviews of this place me and my Fiance were very apprehensive about our 3-night stay at this hotel but we were pleasantly surprised.

It does have a few bad points; the décor is a little dull and dated, the views are pretty dire (and according to another couple we ran into - some rooms don't have windows??) and it can be very noisy (there was a lot of noise from outside during the night and some of the other guests were quite noisy) BUT:

The location is brilliant, it's literally 5 minutes from New street station and 5 minutes from the bullring, across the road from pizza hut and really, the location cannot be faulted. The room was clean and tidy with everything in working order. The double bed was clean and comfortable - both me and my fiancé managed to sleep really well despite the noise. The bathroom, again, was clean and functional, the staff were helpful and the hotel had all the basic requirements of a cheap city centre hotel...

I cannot understand where all these dreadful reviews are coming from, yes its a little rough around the edges but I paid £126 for 3 nights so wasn't expecting anything special. It's everything it claims to be and I'd almost certainly stay in this hotel again if I was in Birmingham!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your comments which will be shared with the rest of the Staff.

I am so pleased that you took the opportunity to sample first hand the perfect location, and exceptional value for money we at Britannia Hotel Birmingham offer, and were not put off by some of the negative reviews posted here.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed April 14, 2013

On checking in we thought the reception area looked very nice, vintage - until we realised the whole hotel was this weird 1940s/1950s old fashioned style. Did wonder what I had got myself in for.

Key cards stopped working three times, and the lifts are incredibly slow. Our room was a decent size, and our bathroom was alright - the shower had poor water pressure but at least we had one! Sockets were a problem, only 1 in the room and 1 near the door to the room so juggling the use of the TV with your hair dryer/chargers etc was difficult.

The decor is so old fashioned is was incredible, felt like we'd hit some weird time warp from Doctor Who, but the beds were comfy and clean.

Reception staff were very surly and professional - which I think is where the main complaints about the staff come from, their manner is very professional and not at all friendly. We requested to see a different room from the first one we were given - I stayed in the new room while my friend went to say we would stay in the second one. I got a phone call about 20 minutes later accusing me of staying in the room and demanding I came downstairs with the key - I explained that my friend was down there and asked if the Receptionist had spoken to her or not - turns out there was a huge queue, which annoyed my friend as she could see the Receptionist on the phone and not dealing with the queue in front of her. She was also shocked at being thrown the key cards by the woman, even though she had gone up to a man on the counter.

In conclusion, this was a cheap hotel right in the middle of Birmingham city centre which suited us as we aren't used to cities! Wasn't very clean, reception staff a little unfriendly. The hotel decor was incredibly outdated but it suited its purpose. Did surprise me though that they have a computer system but no flat screen TV's! At a guess I'd say the hotel chain have forgotten that they own this one!

Room Tip: Avoid floor 7, the smoking floor - even though one of us was a smoker it was very smelly and stuffy!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet your standards at this time and wish that you had brought this to our attention during your stay, as it would have given us the opportunity to address your concerns first hand, and allowed you to leave the Hotel with a more favourable outlook.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Good hotel and I paid under £40 for one night (no food). So good for New Street Station and all the shops! For the price was good, room clean although if you have a front over looking room, it can be a bit noisy. Otherwise, very pleased for the price and did the job for overnight when going to the LG Arena by train.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the front over looking rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family