“Great location for shopping .. Cheap hotel not cheerful :(”

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #110 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Stayed here for a one night stay came to see Emeili Sandie concert..( Emeili amazing) unlike the hotel .. I researched on here before booking and thought it will be ok for a one nights stay ... location of the hotel is ideal for hitting the shops you just step outside & your in the middle of them.. rooms & hotel very shabby in great need of an upgrade .. rooms looked clean until you looked behind bedside tables & tv then it obvious it was just cleaned what was visible to the eye ..very noisy rooms you hear everything outside at silly hrs in the morning .... asked at reception for a taxi to be booked for the evening which was done ( or so i thought so) when we came for the taxi a different member of reception then rang through to the taxi firm so we had to wait 10 mins ... the point of pre booking on arrival was to avoid this... night staff on reception very rude ( wont go into it ) but if this was my duty manager (as he told me he was when i asked to speak to duty manager) he would be out of a job .. spoke to a different duty manager next morning he apologised & told me he never had any complaints before about him he has worked there for years .. like i already knew waste of time complaining .. breakfast was the only decent thing about this hotel .....you get what you pay for . cheap & nasty ... Would I stay here again ... no thankyou !!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank iluv2spend

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed here for one night on the 21/03/13 after going to a concert at the NEC.
The location was excellent, we jumped straight off the train at Birmingham New Street and walked through the Bull Ring to the hotel. The directions on the hotel's website/Late Rooms were well written and helpful - we found the hotel with no issues.
The staff were helpful and friendly and we made use of the free luggage room until 6PM the next day. Although, it was quite small and was provided on a first come, first serve basis, so if it was full you may struggle and get turned away.
The decor was quite dated (turquoise carpets, red curtains and green walls?!) and the bathroom fittings were quite old, but for £47.00 it really doesn't matter. The room was clean, sheets were clean and water was hot - what more do you need for a one night stay?

The only thing that was a slight issue was the noise level. When we arrived at about 3PM, we found our room was facing the high street shops. As we had arrived at a busy time, you hear everything - from the accordion player to the builders shouting across the street. Although, that being said, when we got back to the room at 11PM, I slept well. At first, as the city was still active, I could hear people shouting and a woman's heels clacking down the street, but it died down pretty quickly and I slept without issue. Obviously, I take in to account that we stayed in the centre of the city so some noise is to be expected, but it may be worse on other days (depending on the circumstances), so may not be brillant for light sleepers?

Overall, it was average and ideal for what we needed it for. If I needed to visit Birmingham again, I would stay here a second time.

Room Tip: Try and ask for a room facing away from the high street - the noise levels were quite loud.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GriffLoz
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am pleased to see that the hotel met with your expectations for the purpose of your stay and hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We booked a one night stay in a standard double which had been reduced to £49. The reception looked deceptively smart but when we went to our room (632) it was as if we had entered a different building. Dark, dingy, massive stain on the wall from ceiling to floor, kettle lid was broken, back missing from remote, duvet was so thin we actually thought they had forgotton to put one on the bed, bed linen was on inside out, terrible noise of some sort of gulls screaming through the daylight hours and two bites - one on my leg and one on my face.
Would never use this hotel again and I am relieved that we didn't eat in the place.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations.

I do wish you had made the staff aware of any issues you had whilst at the hotel as this would have allowed them to resolve them at the time to enable you to leave the hotel with a more favourable view.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed here over the St Patricks day weekend with the cooksonodonavan party. Have stayed here on many occasions , and this one surpassed all the others. A very quick and efficient check in , and we were up to our warm and cosy rooms. Nice soft towels, powerful shower and hot pot of tea made for a great start to the weekend. The weather was miserable outside but thank goodness the hotel is always warm and homely. Headed out later to party and returned to our rooms early hours for a great nights sleep in a comfortable clean bed.Next morning went down to the restaurant and was greeted by Ash the guy in charge of breakfast who showed us to a table and arranged our teas and coffees. Great selection of hot cooked food and only little niggle was, I seem to remember they used to have ham and cheese available . Not so anymore. Like wise tea and coffee was self service from large flasks , not to my liking, so as mentioned I asked for proper pots of individual teas and coffee. All got sorted promptly. Thank you Ash. Thank you also to Omar the chef, for cooking up my poached eggs with a beaming smile each morning. What a nice chap! Two more days of rain , wind and shopping, and was time to check out. All went swiftly and was cheered on our way by Thomas on the front desk. WHAT A STAR! Thanks once again to all of the staff at this hotel, for delivering a comfortable stay at a very reasonable price. We will be back very soon

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am pleased that the hotel exceeded your expectations once again and I will certainly pass your kind comments onto the staff.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Just spent one night at this Hotel on New Street, convenientley situated, usual Britannia standards, clean comfortable bed, but hotel in need of a spruce up. Price good, didn't see many staff, check in easy, breakfast ample and not a bad standard, not enough staff on at breakfast. Three star price for three star standards, good as a base.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am pleased to see that the hotel met with your expectations for the purpose of your trip and we hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Due to the recent bad weather my wife & I decided to combine our trip to the theatre with a stay in an inner city hotel, this was very much a spur of the moment decision and we used Laterooms.com and the Britannia was offered a very competitive rate for B&B. Bearing in mind from booking to arrival was less than 60 minutes, we found the hotel easily and the reception staff soon had us booked in (travel tip always print off your reservation details) The room was on the 5th floor but the lifts were never that busy and within minutes we were in our room. The facilities are extensive and pretty much everything we could need was provided, the room was warm and inviting.
Possibly the only improvement I felt was warranted was double glazing this would deal with the noise, from the street subject of some previous reviews, the spoken warning from the access bollard is annoying but that's not the hotels fault more Birmingham Councils obsession with health & safety. Great nights sleep. Breakfast was of good quality and plentiful self service style. The staff were friendly and helpful everything was extremely relaxed. Can't fault the Britannia and really enjoyed our stay with them. Thanks to all the staff.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am pleased to see that the hotel met with your expectations for the purpose of your trip and I will certainly pass your kind comments onto the staff.

Unfortunately, the issue with the automated bollard on New Street is beyond our control but we have spoken with the council on a number of occasions with regards to this.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Stayed here with my fiance on a Friday night and I was surprised. Didn't expected much but we were surprised with cleanliness and nice cosy feel to it. Staff were nice and polite. We ordered some food. Had a little issue with order. Phoned reception and with no questions asked got offered free meal instead. All in all. For 37 pounds you couldn't ask for more. People who are writing bad reviews must be ashamed. Pay £100+ and it will be without glitches. Value for Britannia unbeatable!

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am pleased to see that the hotel exceeded your expectations and we hope to welcome you again in the future.