“hasn;t changed still needs updating”

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #110 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed January 24, 2013

hasn;t changed still needs updating, after all these years , it was tired looking back in the early 90's and it is still the same after all these years

rooms were 3 rd rate lifts are not up to the load and heavy use that they take , one lift broke down in the morning leaving lots of elder people trapped on the high floors which meant they couldn't make breakfast in time the chef on duty stopped serving and turned of the ovens it wasn't until the duty manager turned up to tell him to carry on serving that he relit the ovens to cook some more breakfast

have stayed in this hotel many times in the 90's and 00's on business sleep and go
this time it was family and you look at it a different light enough said
one thing in its favour though is the location right on new street ,handy for the shops and the city centre every things in easy walking distance

no car park so you'd have to park in pay and display not cheap?
we went buy train

Room Tip: front of house is facing new st can be a bit loud for noise rest of rooms will be looking into bui...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank grebogolf
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear Guest

Please accept my apologies that the hotel did not meet with your expectations.

I will pass your comments onto the relevant department managers and improvements will be made where deemed necessary

There are newer reviews for Britannia Hotel Birmingham

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Where to start. First of all, just to say that I really am not one of those fussy picky travellers. I do not look for something to complain about, but with this 'hotel?' I make an exception.

First let me cover the positives. Absolutely fantastic location. Very central for shops and really close to the main railway station.

Arrived at the hotel approx 10pm after a very long day, left home at 0300 and attended business seminars all day until 2130.

Arrived at the hotel to be given a room key for the 7th floor, when I asked where the lifts were the Eastern Europeanmember of staff made a vague pointing motion. I followed where his arm indicated and found the lift, with a sign stating 'Lifts Out Of Order'.

So after climbing 7 floors, some of the stairways seemed to be getting worse and aorse condition, I eventually found the room through a maze of turns and fire doors. Lucky me, I had been allocated a single room.

Did I say lucky? Hmmm, well maybe not. The room was spartan to say the least. Clean it most certainly was not. The bathroom was grubby looking, the carpets hadn't seen a hoover in a while. In fact I would go as far as to suggest that they should install mudflaps to the vaccuum ready for when this room got a rare visit from the cleaner.

I really was not happy with the room at all, the rubber bath anti slip mat had clearly seen better days. The discolouration meant it was obviously a very old mat. I really was not intending to stand on that in the shower. I would have rather risked slipping to be honest.

I soon started to get text messages from other colleagues also booked to stay here. It was clear that my room was not an acception, rather than being the norm. I rang receptions, but suddenly there was no one who could speak English now that I had a complaint.

I walked down the 7 flights of stairs to ask to be moved rooms, only to be told, 'hotel full' and that was the end of the conversation.Great customer service!!

After walking back up 7 flights of stairs again, I decided to either find another hotel on my own, or just put up with what I had as it was just for one night. After ringing a few other hotels, it seemes to be a very busy night in Birmingham and I couldn't get an alternative hotel available.

So off to bed then, after trying in vain to close the slightly ajar window. No chance was that frame moving. I pulled back the quilt and quickly put it back. Not what I would term acceptable bedding at all. I eventually slept the night in my clothes on top of the quilt and with a towel over the pillow.

The following morning was just as interesting. Breakfast. An experience like nothing I have ever had at an hotel before. We went for the advertised restaurant opening time, and there was no breakfast there at all. Eventually some 15 minutes later items started to arrive, one tray at a time.

I have never had breakfast in installment before. Eventually we ran out of time as we had a coach transfer to take us back for the second day of our seminar, at this point I had had Sausage, bacon and horrible scrambled egg. Now to me, that is not a full English! Maybe mushrooms, hash browns etc are a exotic fruit and vegetable in the Midlands, where as everywhere else in the UK it is standard fayre at the breakfast buffet.

Would I recommend this to anyone else......absolutely never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Happy H

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations.

The hotel accommodates 2000+ guests on a weekly basis and I believe that we offer excellent value for money.

The signed contract by your booking agent did not include breakfast and was on a room only basis, one of the Companies Guides undertook a unannounced spot check of the public areas and bedrooms hours before you arrived and no negative comments were made.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

First of all - Brittania is located 2 m walk from Birmingham New Street station, in New Street frontage. Absolutely prime location to begin aquintance with Birmingham and get crazy in shopping galore.

Hotel itself is rather shubby. Definitely requires refurbisment. Individual heaters, not working built-in radiators,scrached walls and doors, single glazing windows in frames screaming for re-paint bathrooms with taps which are supposed to mix hot and cold water and instead provide a number of streems with extreme temperatures.....and on and on and on.

Price 42 pound per night - well in premier inn or ibis the quality of the facilities would be higher, at least clean and up-to date.

We were attracter by location and the character of the property. Location - indeed great. Character? More colonial than mainland Brittain. Claustrophobic spaces. Everything lookng as a bit dirty, however mostly because of being decayed, severely aged.

Breakfast - the worst part of it. Absolutely overpriced. I strongly recommend room only (if absolutely necessary). 11 pounds for oversalted bacon, eggs, toasts, artificially tasting juice and fruits from the tin? Shoould have said NO. Really not worth it, especially that there are sommany nice places to eat in central Birmingham, just outside the hotel...

One more important info: check out 11.00 but check in 14.00. 20 pounds for extended check out.

Room Tip: We had a room with a view to the well. Probably good for the quality of sleep. Definitely not for fe...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies that the hotel did not meet with your expectations at this time.

I will certainly discuss your comments with the relevant department managers and I can assure you that improvements will be made where deemed necessary.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

The only good thing about this place is the location! The whole hotel needs a refurb (approx £2m should do it) and I'm not exaggerating. The old metal windows have huge gaps, not good for this time of year but also not good for street noise, which woke me up constantly with drunks walking past. Rooms are very small, the carpet in my room had sticky patches and there is a complete lack of plug sockets. Some plug sockets have round holes and some are even covered. The bathroom is small, I didn't have a toilet roll holder, i did have a leaky tap, but the shower was ok, miracle! Breakfast was ok but nothing special. I won't stop again and I don't recommend it!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Michelle C

Dear Guest,

Please accept my sincere apologies that you were unhappy with your stay at the hotel.

Should you have informed the staff that you were unhappy with your allocated room, they would have gladly assisted you in making your stay a much more comfortable and enjoyable one.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

This was my second booking through Centralr.com having stayed in London during December with a booking through their Website.

Very helpful when reserving over the phone, confirmed another Late Arrival for me at this Hotel - as they did with my last reservation in London.

Hotel was perfect for a one night stay - was in Birmingham for a Football game which was also great fun!

Room Tip: A fine Hotel for a short stay - very affordable rate when I reserved through CentralR.com in early J...
1  Thank Helen L

Dear Guest,

I am pleased to see that the hotel met with your expectations for the purpose of your trip and we hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

The hotel is a little tired but the location is excellent in the heart of the shops , Alexander theatre and new street railway station , the bedroom was clean and the bed comfortable there was plenty of hot water , just locate Primark and you have found the hotel ,
If you are looking for some where to eat I can recommend the Shakespeare pub turn right out of the hotel entrance keep walking until until you find Tesco express and the pub is down the opposite side street it is excellent value for money .

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review,

I am pleased to read that the hotel met with your expectations and we hope to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Another stay at the Britannia Hotel for me so I knew it wasn't going to be the Ritz, but for £24 room only I couldnt complain. Only thing that was new was a £2 admin charge for paying for the room with a credit card. so I paid in cash. hot shower on arrival and then not a bad nights sleep in room 614. Not too many drunks walking along New Street as it was a rainy night.
No hot water in the morning at 0830 so cold wash as best available. No time to moan as train to catch.

Will stay again at £24. Travelodge was similar price but at Five Ways not so handy for New Street Station.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

I am pleased to see that on the whole the hotel met with your expectations, As far as the hotel are aware we have had no issues with hot water but please accept my sincere apologies if you encountered any problems.