“Second Booking through CentralR.com - Highly Recommended!”

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #109 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Bray, Ireland
“Second Booking through CentralR.com - Highly Recommended!”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

This was my second booking through Centralr.com having stayed in London during December with a booking through their Website.

Very helpful when reserving over the phone, confirmed another Late Arrival for me at this Hotel - as they did with my last reservation in London.

Hotel was perfect for a one night stay - was in Birmingham for a Football game which was also great fun!

Room Tip: A fine Hotel for a short stay - very affordable rate when I reserved through CentralR.com in early J...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Helen L
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to see that the hotel met with your expectations for the purpose of your trip and we hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2013

The hotel is a little tired but the location is excellent in the heart of the shops , Alexander theatre and new street railway station , the bedroom was clean and the bed comfortable there was plenty of hot water , just locate Primark and you have found the hotel ,
If you are looking for some where to eat I can recommend the Shakespeare pub turn right out of the hotel entrance keep walking until until you find Tesco express and the pub is down the opposite side street it is excellent value for money .

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review,

I am pleased to read that the hotel met with your expectations and we hope to welcome you again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

Another stay at the Britannia Hotel for me so I knew it wasn't going to be the Ritz, but for £24 room only I couldnt complain. Only thing that was new was a £2 admin charge for paying for the room with a credit card. so I paid in cash. hot shower on arrival and then not a bad nights sleep in room 614. Not too many drunks walking along New Street as it was a rainy night.
No hot water in the morning at 0830 so cold wash as best available. No time to moan as train to catch.

Will stay again at £24. Travelodge was similar price but at Five Ways not so handy for New Street Station.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to see that on the whole the hotel met with your expectations, As far as the hotel are aware we have had no issues with hot water but please accept my sincere apologies if you encountered any problems.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 9, 2013

There are very few good things I can say about the Britannia -The location is the best part as the hotel is located on New Street and all amenities are on the door- step.Alas,thats where it ends-

1) Check in was frosty,with no information given about any of the hotel facilities and to retrieve this information was like "pulling a tooth" .A smile would have made such a difference-but nothing!! I was just asked to put in my credit card and my room was charged in advance and a receipt given-that was that !!!!
2) The corridors are very dark and in major need of a refurbishment
3) The bedrooms are small and in order to close the curtains,I had to climb over my friends bed to do this.The TV was right up against one of the beds,so it was very difficult for somebody else to see the TV in the other bed.I was afraid to have a bath after looking at the state of it-not that I felt great using the shower either. The carpet was filthy and only that we were staying the 1 night,would have gone out and bought slippers!!However,the room was warm and the beds were comfortable-all be it very low beds.
4) We decided to have dinner at the hotel as there was very heavy rain on that particular evening- it just was okay !! It was self service,but there was a very friendly waiter on hand should you require anything.The soup was luke warm,mains were okay and dessert was just okay.The dining area itself is so depressing-should be majorly refurbished .
5)Breakfast was again self service and that was just okay-
6) As we queued to check out,a different receptionist,even more frosty than the check in one, was advising a guest that the check out time was 11am and that he already was 10 minutes late- As I requested my bill and asked to leave luggage,I was told that the storage area for leaving luggage was full since 9am-Now,I fully understand this ,as I saw on check in that they only have a very small area for storage,but everything is in the attitude and tone you are been relayed this information-and boy,did this receptionist have some attitude.Before I could direct any more conversation to this receptionist,he had disappered into a back office behind the reception desk and that was that !!! No thank you,no goodbye,no " did you enjoy your stay" no nothing- I was so shocked ,that it left me speechless for quite awhile.

A major revamp of this hotel is needed,with improvement of its food quality and a customer service course for some if its reception team- Would I go back- NEVER

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Geraldine12345
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, January 21, 2013

Please accept my apologies that the hotel did not meet with your expectations.

I will pass your comments onto the relevant department managers and improvements will be made where deemed necessary

Regards

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Booked for 2 night break early December for the Christmas Market. Having been told we could park at a NCP car Park for £9.90 per ncerealight and parking in one we found on arrival there was only one car park this applied (we had not been given the address of car park on Booking) to and as we had not parked in in the correct one the car was move it cost £7 for under one hour . The room was large and comfortable clean with a jacuzzi bath although the bed was only 4ft 6 it gave us a good night sleep.
The location is fantastic right in the middle of the city centre great for shopping and market.
Had a meal 3 courses for £9.95 but would not bother again, even at that price it was very poor, and breakfast was greasy hard eggs again would only have cereal.luckily i took my own decaf Tea bags and coffee as they said they had none.
Would we go again Definately but not for the food and now we know where the car park is it would be fine

Room Tip: Make sure you get address for car park and go to right one. its only a 5 minutes walk.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Please accept my apologies that some aspects of your stay did not meet with your expectations.

Coventry
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Very dated, needs attention and a deep clean!! As soon as you walk through the doors into the dingy reception, you know you get what you've paid for. Very noisy buzzing sound all night followed by the loudest heating I've ever experienced at 4 am. Was cheap but certainly not cheerful.

• Stayed January 2013

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

On arriving to this hotel I was very happy with the location as it is on the main strip of shops..that was where my happiness ended.
We checked in fine but when we took the lift to our floor we exited to find a sign saying Smoking Floor. Immediately the smell of stale smoke took over and I was just shocked that this was being allowed. Our room was ok,it had the basics that you would expect but again smelt of stale smoke. The breakfast was good but in the morning I was speaking to friends also staying who said they were asked on areival if they wanted a smoking or a non-smoking room..this annoyed me as I was not asked I was just placed in a smoking room.
Overall I wouldnt recommend this hotel!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank liverpool_89_10

Please accept my apologies that the hotel did not meet with your expectations.

All reservations are allocated as per guest booking requests where possible and had you made Reception aware that you were unhappy with the allocated room, they would have gladly offered an alternative room.