“Charmingly shabby !”

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #110 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed February 19, 2008

I arrived mid-afternoon on a weekday and waited about 15 minutes to check-in and the staff were not efficient. There are two lifts from reception but only one was working so I used the stairs. My room was on the third floor and I had a window facing towards a hollow void in the middle of the hotel so all I could see were other peoples room windows. There seemed to be some sort of air handling system outside which kept me awake most of the night since it was so loud. The room was ok I guess but the bathroom was very dated indeed. TV was 1980's and the picture quality was terrible and almost unwatchable. I had a full breakfast which wasn't too bad but it was buffet style and I think the food had been lying around on hot plates for a while before I got there. I only paid £60 for the single room including breakfast since I booked ages in advance. I would have been upset if I had paid more than that. Great location in the city centre but wouldn't visit the hotel again !. Glad I was only there for one night.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled solo
3  Thank matty1972
There are newer reviews for Britannia Hotel Birmingham

Reviewed February 17, 2008

What can I say, other than this was quite simply the worst hotel I've ever stayed in and the biggest waste of £79.
Stepping out of the lift, we were greeted by the smell of BO and mould, never the best combination! The room was like something you'd pay for by the hour if you know what I mean! The wallpaper was peeling off and the carpet flithy. The windows hadn't been washed this century and the bathroom was like something out of the dark ages. I was too scared to even step into the shower. There was a menu for room service so we decided to order some nachos. However, the telephone didn't work, so we rang down the reception on a mobile informing them of the fault and ordering the food. After 45 minutes, still no food. We called down again and were rudely told they didn't have any nachos and as they couldn't contact us by phone, they weren't going to let us know! We were advised to find the vending manchine on the first floor.
In honesty, the bed sheets were very clean, but with no duvet and only a manky brown blanket, we shivered through the night.
The hotel's only saving grace was the lovely lady who served us breakfast, going out of her way to make us comfortable.
If you're going to Birmingham, please please don't even consider staying here, it's revolting!

3  Thank sparkya3
Reviewed February 14, 2008

I paid over £80.00 for this place and the only good thing was that it was just for one night. The first room that I was given had paper coming off the walls, the chair was stained and the desk very old and battered. I asked for an alternative and the alternative was not much better. No stained chair, newer desk but a cracked basin. The tv was of interest as I really did not know that tv''s could last that long and still work. The carpet was clean as was the bed but that is about all that you can say. Their infomation leaflet says that the hotel has been refurbished, this is not true it is still going on and they obviously hadn't refurbished my room since about 1970. Staff friendly and breakfast ok but 7.00am breakfast really meant 7.20 as the cooked food was not ready until then.

This is not an experience that I wish to repeat............ever.

4  Thank NB1957
Reviewed February 10, 2008

The hotel is in a perfect location, in the centre of Birmingham. It's a little tucked away on one of the side streets, but this is off the main high street, so very easy to find.

I didn't explore any more of the hotel than I needed to; I literally saw the lobby, the lift and the areas on the way to my room. Although none of this was overly impressive, taking into consideration the low price I paid for the room, I wasn't too surprised.

The lighting is fairly poor around the hotel, apart from the lobby, and it generally seems like it needs a good amount of updating. However, the hotel is undergoing some much needed renovations at the moment, so this will probably be remedied at some point in the future.

The room itself was a decent size, again the lighting was quite dull and the decor was very old, but the room seemed clean and had drinks facilities and a fair amount of storage, so it suited my purpose. The TV looked like the kind we used to have in the 80s! I wondered if it would be black & white, but it was colour and all the channels worked perfectly, so again it was just the aesthetics that needed improving.

The bathroom was a decent size, but again just needed to be updated as the appliances seemed quite old (and we discovered our sink had been installed backwards!).

The only other really negative points I noticed were that the windows let in the draft, and as they aren't double glazed we heard a lot of the noise from outside. Also, the fire alarm randomly went off for a few seconds just before 4am, but nothing came of it.

All in all, I'd say the hotel is decent enough, just in need of updating. It has character and is in a great location. I'd recommend this hotel if you only need a place to sleep after a day/night of activities and aren't too fussed about staying in a modern setting.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Noogles
Reviewed February 7, 2008

What a disgusting place to stay in!!!! How they can be allowed to operate I do not know.

I'll keep it short. On my arrival I was welcomed by lifts that did not work. I had to drag my heavy suitcase up to the fifth floor to be met by pubic hair in my 1970 style stained bathtub and complimentary urine stains on my toilet seat. Yum!!! The staff did not know the meaning of a real hotel. The breakfast was horrible. Eggs so old you could bounce them off the walls and orange juice so acidic you could strip the paint off a car's bonnet with it.
You can not complain to the front desk, you are handed a form to fill in and the computer always says "NO!!!!"
The Britania Hotel is taking the P*SS and are ripping off innocent people!!!
As a buyer for a company, I travel a lot and stay in hotels all the time. Some good, some bad. You get what you pay for, right? Not at the Britania. I was charged £180 per night!!! Shocking. There is no bartender in the bar and only 2 people on shift in the evenings. Room service is out of the question and television reception is non existent. The interior is shocking and nothing like the lovely pictures you see on their website. You would be lucky to have dusty fake flowers on your table.
For the people whom say that they had a lovely stay at the Britania, I can only say: "Live a little, there is more to life".

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank marcodejongh
Reviewed February 6, 2008

This is truly the worst hotel experience ever ! It would make a great project for Kim and Aggie ( How Clean is your Hotel)

On entering the hotel we were very disappointed with the stlye / decor of the reception area, very shabby
We were checked in quite quickly, the one and only working lift took ages to come and then it went up to the 8th and down to the ground several times before reaching the 4th floor. When we got out f the lift we could not believe the state of the general decor, torn paper, stained carpets, bare plaster on the walls and a quantity of "car boot sale" quality pictures.

The decor of the room was poor quality and totaly taseless, not one thing matched, the lampshades were all stained and one was broken, the twin bedroom was only suitable as a single. The twin beds were so close we were unable to walk between them, there was only room for one very small bedside table which was placed at the far side of the furthest bed, one bed had to be moved to open the very narrow wardrobe door, no mirror in bedroom, wads of tissue paper was being used as a draught excluder in the windows, only one chair so had to put some clothes on the floor, the sheets were clean and crisp but the blankets were grubby, poor quality travel rugs,the shower curtain was "white" with a slimey orange scum along the lower 12", there was nowhere to put clothes in the bathroom, no hooks etc the toilet needed a good dose of bleach. The outside window ledge was home to several pigeons who made sleeping difficult.

I would not reccommend this hotel to anyone, We paid £336.00 to stay in this establishment for two nights, do you think it was a pleasant place to stay ?

3  Thank LadybirdScotland
Reviewed February 5, 2008

nice hotel in the center in "brum" 5mins walk from the train station but be careful when walking to the hotel as there tends to be a lot of drunks and teenagers by the station exit at night.

the hotel is easy to find and the entrance well lit. but the reception area is very small and a bit clogged up. the lift was also small and only one worked and is always cramped so use it early to avoid being squashed!.

the room was standard to say the least, the toilet had no toilet lid and there was a mouldy feeling to the room carpet. the room had a "balcony" but it was so high i could not c over it and the balcony door would not lock so it was cold at night. the walls was also thin and there was no peep hole in the door for security.

the security was average i was not stopped at the door even though the receptionist was different to the one who checked me in. but the staff was friendly!

the hotel is going through a refurbishment so things may change.

Stayed: February 2008