“Depressing”

Ranked #109 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Sunny Brighton
“Depressing”
Reviewed January 18, 2008

It's not the facilities or the food, the rooms or the location that can make or break a hotel, it's more likely to be the service. Or more specifically the people delivering it.

Accepting that this hotel is going through a dusty re-fit which they can't help (it must be difficult for them) they are still the most unhelpful team of people I have ever met!

I travelled 173 miles to get there in my car in driving rain. I queued up for half an hour to be told there was no booking for me. I knew there was but they just couldn't find it. I went away, made a call, came back and waited for the reservations person to arrive.

The manager tried to convince me I'd been booked into the Coventry hotel and I should drive over to there. I hadn't, I was due in a conference the very next day in this very hotel. Eventually I got my room after about an hour. Boy it needs the re-fit!

Every time I came across any member of staff from hereon in they were talking negatively about a fellow member of staff or moaning generally. At breakfast the person serving the tea and coffee just spent all her time moaning about and at the guests. And breakfast was rank.

Talking of food, the buffet lunch was rank too. Slops of tray baked muck served by the disinterested. Nothing cooked entirely from scratch I am told by the cook, most of it was from a packet or a catering pack. Mmmmmm, nice.

My key kept malfunctioning which made to-ing and fro-ing difficult. On one occasion I had to go back to reception three times to get it changed so I could get into my room. Never once did reception apologise or offer to come with me with a master key.

Only one lift was working and it was very slow. The coffee I had nipped out to get and have in my room was stone cold by the time I eventually got in my room - well it would be wouldn't it after 45 minutes!

I used to complain about the Holiday Inn. I'll never say a bad word against them ever again!!

• Liked — Loved the sticky carpets!
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
4 Thank BrightonNeil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2008

Stayed in Birmingham visiting friends just before xmas who booked me in and paid half the bill. I'd never have found it if they hadn't been with me - it's not exactly well signed, and the front entrance isn't at the front! Where you'd expect the door to be, there's an O2 shop! Inside it's very old fashioned - lots of dark varnish, marble, 'oil paintings,' etc. Must be to someones taste, but not mine.

Bedroom wasn't bad. Like I said, I didn't like the way it was decorated (Chintzy curtains, and different patterned chintzy bedding didn't help the hangover...) but that's just personal. It was clean, the tv worked, the shower was hot, it was in the city centre, and that was all I wanted it for.

Total bill was £70(ish), and I paid £35 of that so was happy enough. I wouldn't stay for anything special or to sweep someone off their feet, but I don't think those people are who this place is aiming at.

• Liked — Great location in city centre
  • Disliked — Chintzy curtains
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank Daniel W
London, England
Reviewed January 16, 2008

A filthy, deplorable hotel!

Arrived here for an intended 3 night stay ... lasted 1 night and if it had not been 9pm when we checked in, we would have left to find somewhere else straightaway.

We did not dare to try breakfast - if this is how their public rooms look, God forbid what the kitchens are like !

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank sarapops

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Rotherham
Reviewed January 13, 2008

I read the reviews before I booked the hotel & decided to see for myself.
I found the room (twin room) clean & of decent quality for the money I paid. I got a decent nights sleep & experienced very little noise both from the other guests, or from the outside.
I stayed B&B & found the buffet style breakfast excellent & good value for money.
Overall, a decent budget hotel.

• Liked — Decent Quality At A Good Price
  • Disliked — Room Wasnt The Warmest
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Isle of Man
Reviewed January 8, 2008

arrived at hotel at 9am and told couldnt check in until 2pm. We managed to persuade them to let us leave our bags and went shopping. Came back at 1.45pm and told we couldn't check in until 2.30pm! Went upstairs to bar...which doesn't accept cards (where does not accept cards these days?!!?). Eventually came to check in...to be told we'd been double booked along with dozens of other people and would be moved to a better hotel and get better rooms! What a joke! We were moved to an equally disgusting hotel far out of Birmingham and offered no compensation! Have since written to Britannia hotels but they have chosen to ignore me. What a disgraceful company!!!

Stayed December 2007
1 Thank Aimee1505
Port Talbot
Reviewed January 7, 2008

Thishotellooksquitenice intheprofesionalphotographs I,M wonderingif it was the samehotelwhich I stayed in .
The corridors,carpets,and walls are filthy ,I used the stairsas I dont like lifts and you couldwrite your name in the dust.
The rooms are so dirty dull and dingy I was so glad that I was only stayingfor 1 night .Since returning home I have been itching all over.
On a lighter notethe restaurant where breakfast was served was as if you,d stepped into another hotel staff were curtious,although within an hour of eating breakfast I had a cronic case of diahorea(WHETHER IT WAS LINKED TO THE FOOD I CANT SAY WITHOUT HAVING TESTS)
They offer room service and sandwiches 24 hours but on requesting them was told no food was available that was 10PM ,there was no food left ,perhaps that was a good thing after my breakfast episode
I would,nt recommend this hotel to anyone
I WILL BE CONTACTING THE COMPANY I TRAVELLED WITH TO COMPLAIN AS I HAVE USED THEM COUNTLESS TIMES IN THE PAST FOR COACH/THEATRE BREAKS AND ALWAYS STAYED IN FABULOUS HOTELS THEY HAVE A REPUTATION TO KEEP AND ALL I CAN SAY IS THEY WILL QUICKLY LOSE IT IF THEY CONTINUE TO USE THIS HOTEL

• Liked — Location For Shopping
  • Disliked — Lack of Cleanliness ,Uncomfortable Room, Needs Updating And Profesional Cleaners
  • Stayed January 2008
1 Thank NannaGPortTalbot
Atlanta Airport
Reviewed December 30, 2007

When we arrived we had to wait for half an hour to be checked in, when went to the room we were less than impressed with the general level of hygiene and the awful smell in our room.
The overall levels of service were shocking. Having just dropped our bags in the room, we decided not to spend the weekend at this hotel for the reasons above.
Amy the manager on duty was very helpfull when we complained and checked out.

• Disliked — Service and general level of hygiene
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple