“5 star Breakfast!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Lincoln
“5 star Breakfast!”
Reviewed October 19, 2009

Room was standard 3* as there were no "niceties" that are usually contained in a 4*, also carpet appeared a bit dirty, but remainder of hotel lived up to 4* rating. Efficient, friendly staff and superb breakfast. Parking expensive £13 for stay of 6 to 24 hours.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Polish first
England
Reviewed October 10, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for a conference with a large group of co-workers. Overall, it's okay, mainly for its location. We had to share rooms. One shock came in that the "double/twin" room doesn't have two proper beds - there is one bed with a nice duvet, but the other a truly lousy couch fold-out with a tattly little green blanket that had must have been in continuous use since the 70's. I was informed that the hotel didn't have any double rooms with two real beds.

The service is also far from superior. When I arrived at 3:15 in the afternoon, our room was not ready, even though check-in is 2 PM. I was turned away with instructions not to return for an hour. When I did, they still weren't sure if the room was ready. Then they gave me an elevator key that didn't work. Later, I was waiting in the lobby for a friend and eating a snack. I hadn't been waiting for two minutes when a manager came round demanding I go to my room to eat my candy bar or I would have to leave the hotel! Not in the friendliest manner either.

It's the little things like this these make or break a stay. Yes, there's an okay breakfast (£13). The rooms were clean. The hotel was in the middle of town. But overall, I wouldn't recommend it for the above reasons.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
NovotelBirminghamGM, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, October 21, 2009
Firstly I would like to thank this guest for their feedback, as without it we cannot encourage our team to recognise when we have 'not quite got it right'.
We are currently in the process of of upgrading our bedding for our 'extra beds' to have duvets throughout our bedrooms, as I agree the blankets we have in the hotel need to and will be removed.
We pride ourselves on 4 star facilities and 4 star service at the Novotel Birmingham Centre and I hope having read this report you will visit us and give me your feedback? Thank you
birmingham
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Service from arrival, through room service, breakfast and departure was first class. The room was very clean and comfortable with all the facilities you could want.

the room service menu was great and the 4 course platter was excellent.

Wendover, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2009

we had a good stay, and efficient staff, and I feel value for money, with a special offer price of £69, unfortunately the only downside was a bin that hadn't been emptied, full of fast food packaging.

Richmond-upon-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2009

Stayed here for one night on business. This is a standard good quality hotel, quiet and very convenient for conference centre,. Parking is secure but paid for separately. The staff were all professional and pleasant. Breakfast was good with low fat and vegetarian options.

Cambridge
Reviewed September 16, 2009

We have stayed in this hotel several times before and we have always enjoyed our stays. The highlight has to be the breakfasts; I have not experienced better hotel breakfasts anywhere in the UK. There is an extensive choice of hot and cold items including cereals, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, fresh fruit, croissants and pastries, cheese, ham, yogurts plus all the usual hot items. I particularly like the waffles and maple syrup. The hours during which breakfast is served are generous, especially at the weekends. As a vegetarian I had more than enough to keep me going until lunchtime and beyond!

All the hotel staff we met were friendly and helpful. Our room (a superior one with queen size bed) was spacious and spotlessly clean, as was the rest of the hotel. Given that it is a city centre hotel which is part of a chain, it is a bit lacking in character compared to some independent hotels, but this won't bother you if you are out and about all day. The fact that you have to swipe your key card to access the lift or the stairs from the entrance lobby gives an added feeling of security whilst staying at the hotel.

The hotel is in an excellent central location, situated on Broad street just a stone's throw away from the canal and all the bars and restaurants of Brindley Place. It is a very short walk to the Symphony Hall and not much further to the shops in the city centre. We walked to the hotel from New Street station, which didn't take too long. We came to Birmingham for the annual arts fest and the Novotel proved to be a great choice for accessing the different venues. Broad Street itself has a good choice of bars and restaurants and it's noisy and lively on Friday and Saturday nights. You might be able to hear some of this from your hotel room - we could from the sixth floor, although it didn't particularly bother us - or you might be out partying in which case it won't bother you!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple