“Weekend away and a buisness stay”

Novotel Birmingham Centre
Ranked #42 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Weekend away and a buisness stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Hotel was good, and all staff were happy and friendly. Great customer service, Nice standard (I've always found quite a good standard across novotel hotels). Pillows were a bit uncomfortable but you cant have everything!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

NovotelBirminghamGM, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
My team and I very much appreciate your kind words, and we’re glad to have been a part of your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Novotel Birmingham Centre, when we wil be happy to offer you a selcetion of pillows to choose from, please just ask.
Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

Not as good as you would think, supposedly one of birmingham's top Hotels but there is nothing special to it. Better off staying in the Jurys inn over the road. This hotel is way over priced for what you get.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
I am sincerely sorry to hear that you didn’t find the service at Novotel Birmingham Centre up to your expectations. We pride ourselves on providing every guest with a excellent experience. Please feel free to call me on 0121 643 2000 or email me on richard.marsh@accor.com if you wish to discuss further. We strive to provide every guest a realxing and hassle free stay in an atmosphere of comfort, however we have ovbiously not met your expectations on this occasion. For this we can only apologise. I hope you will consider giving us the opportunity to change you mind at some point in the future? Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

l recently stayed with my family at novotel birmingham city centre,we found the location easy to find and was greetedby staff who were very helpful with travelling around the area.transport and shopping was good,the nightlife was very lively and found the people lively,but not intrusive.the hotel facilities was good for me and my family as there is a gym/sauna...food was good and building standard very clean,there is a carpark,yes we had agood weekend.but the only negative was we could not park in the carpark as our 9 seater van was to high,but staff recommended a carpark next to the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Novotel Birmingham Centre and making particular reference to the team and the hospitality they provide, is very pleasing! We work hard at inspiring and motivating the team to ensure every guest has a hassle free and relaxing stay!
We look forward to your next visit. Sorry we could park your van, however great that the team found a solution!
north wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stayed here for one night on 7th May whist on a course. I had an executive room which had bathrobes, slippers, Nepresso coffee machine and iPod docking station, etc. The room was away from the roads so not disturbed by noise but I did read other reviews which said that there would be noise at night from the outside as its located on the main street for clubs, etc so I took earplugs so I didn't hear a thing!

The hotel staff were professional and helpful. Breakfast was expensive at £13.95 but it was good with plenty of choice. The bedroom was spotless. Nice bathroom with complimentepary toiletries and a separate toilet which others have commented as not liking.....why??

It's in a great location and I would most definately stay here again. My only gripe was that the bed was a bit too hard for me but this didn't spoil my sleep (and I am very fussy!)

I really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
NovotelBirminghamGM, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Many thanks for the positive comments. I’m happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable. We have been working hard to ensure guests are insulated from any noise from outside and this appears to be paying off.
I hope we can welcome you back to the Novotel Birmingham Centre again very soon.
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Lovely hotel and the staff were excellent, the only thing that let the stay down was the heat in the room. We were on the first floor and although we opened both windows it was too hot especially during the night. We didn't sleep because of the heat and noise from the open windows. It would put me off staying here in the summer which is a shame because everything else including breakfast was great.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

NovotelBirminghamGM, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Many thanks for your comments. We appreciate all feedback and are glad you enjoyed your stay. I’ll look into the points you raised personally, and in the meantime, I hope we can welcome you back to the Novotel Birmingham Centre very soon.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

There are quite a few hotels based around Birmingham city centre that seem broadly the same, so we did find it difficult to settle on one, but I'm glad we chose the Novotel. The staff were very friendly and efficient, the lobby is very large and accommodating so even though it was busy it didn't seem crowded. The bar was very nice and seem very calm in comparison to Broad Street on a weekend night! The room was quite spacious and the bathroom very nice. We didn't have much of a view but we didn't really expect one in central Birmingham. I would definitely stay here again, though we got a good discount and I'm not sure I would pay full price. The only thing that people should be warned about is that Broad street isn't the nicest area of town, especially on the weekend as it's lined with night clubs and bars and the area does attract a very rowdy and sometimes obnoxious crowd. I wouldn't feel comfortable walking from the centre along Broad Street at night (for example after going to the Theatre), especially on my own or in a small group.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Novotel Birmingham Centre and would like to assure you that Broad Street is as safe an environment as any city. We have Purple Flag recognition for the work that the local Wardens and Pastors do and therefore I hope we may look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

Intro: I had a business trip in Birmingham DC and was allocated to Novotel in the Centre of Birmingham. This was an ideal location as the hotel is only 5 minutes away from International Convention Centre (Birmingham ICC). Also, being on the Broad Street means two-minutes access to the bus and ten minutes away from the train station – the New Street Station.

Entrance and Reception: The entrance to the hotel looks a bit dated but once you are inside the atmosphere changes (See the pictures). The reception has a welcoming atmosphere and has a kind and helpful staff.

The lift required your room card to operate which is a good security feature but a bit of a bother.

Rooms: The rooms are en-suite and large, with a large flat screen TV, a fridge and a small kettle for tea/coffee in the room. The double bed was confortable with bedside light and sockets for gadgets. There is a wardrobe, which has an iron with an ironing board.

There is a comfy sofa on the bed side and the windows are large and give plenty of natural light.

Bathroom: The bathroom has a shower and a bathtub, and a sink for washing which has a large mirror. The towels and toiletries are provided (shower gel, soap, shampoo) but you need to bring your own body lotion.

Restaurant: The restaurant on the ground floor and they have a lovely buffet breakfast that can keep you going for the rest of the day. This is UK therefore in most hotels of breakfast is included in the room price (worth asking though at the time of booking).

The only down side was the lack of free Internet (wifi) access. The hotel has a communal computer downstairs but for a hotel of this reputation, surely they can at least offer a free wifi Internet access for its customers. Why should a guest in Novotel be able to access free wifi in a restaurant nearby but fail to do so in the comfort of their room? Novotel seems to overlook the fact that the web is a part of everyday life and it needs to be available for free. Just as a guest does not need to pay for the basic television in the room, and so is the internet access.

Overall: An excellent location for business trips and conference facilities. My experience of customer service and feeling cared for was very good. Novotel only needs to provide that free wifi connection to get my five points for customer service.

Room Tip: For better views through the window go to the third floor, upwards.