“Good Value, for a short stay”

Novotel Birmingham Airport
Ranked #24 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Good Value, for a short stay”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Booked into this hotel as i had an early morning flight from birmingham airport. The price for an executive room was very reasonable and i was looking forward to the stay. upon entering the hotel the surroundings are what you would expect from a 4 star hotel. very nice looking restauarnt, Apple computers in the lobby for use(nice touch), however i was greeted on check in by a rather unfriendly looking fella called Piotr.the term "service with a smile" was definitly lost on this guy as he tapped furiously on his key board after asking "name". I think in total he spoke 4 words to me "name" and "enjoy your stay". not the warm welcome i was expecting.

The room itself was nice. however they have the toilet and bathroom facilies in separate rooms. I dont know about other people but i found it annoying having to go another room to wash my hands after using the toilet. TV is bog standard with bog standard channels available.There was plenty of bottled water in the room which was great as many hotels ive stayed in have overlooked this minor detail. there was also a nespresso machine which was a nice touch.

The bed is great for people who like really soft mattresses, which i dont. that coupled with a musty smell of someone elses head on the pillows ensured a restless night for me.

Overall, if your looking for decent quality at a reasonable price before your early morning flight i would recommend this hotel.(provided you can suffer a soft mattress), however i would not stay more than one night in this hotel and dont expect a warm welcome from Piotr on reception.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Ian_Dick, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating this matter accordingly. Kind regards, Ian Dick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Finnish first
Warwickshire
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed here for one night before an early morning flight, it is great for this as it is next door to the terminal. The room was very dissapointing, we had a end room and looked as though it had been half-heartdly renovated. The walls had wood chip wallpaper which had just been painted over and the furniture felt cheap and unstable. It was clean but felt very dark and dank. It is very quiet especially considering it is right next to the airport. It was ok, but I was expecting something a little bit better.The food in the restaurant was ok, very over-priced and the service wasn't very good. Overall ok, but not a 4* experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

The title says it all really. The main attraction for this hotel is its location to the departure terminal literally a quick walk across the road less than 2 minutes. For an early mornin flight it is ideal.

I also can't fault the service what little we had to do with the staff they were polite professional and efficient.

The room itself was functional at best. The bathroom was spotless but the carpet in the room was dirty (through age I think rather than lack of cleaning) the top of the kettle was grubby (again I think through wear and tear.

There was no noise whatsoever which was very impressive considering the location. We didn't eat here so can't comment on the food but the restaurant and bar area looks modern and welcoming.
There was no quick checkout though we ended up leaving our room cards on the desk as the "express checkout" machine seemed to take for ever and we ha 2 cards each so that could definitely be improved upon.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon. Kind regards, Ian Dick
Lot-et-Garonne, France
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here overnight whilst waiting to board a flight next day. As others have said, this hotel is perfectly located for the terminal.

Check-in and check-out were perfect and the staff professional but ultra friendly. I had a executive room on the 4th floor. It was appointed as any other Novotel but comfortable and well equipped with a fantastic coffee machine. The free mineral water and dressing gown were very welcome as was the plug socket right by the bed (ideal for mobile phones). It was very quiet and I loved having the airport departures board right there on the TV!

I used the restaurant for dinner and had one of those great little tables for one with the pull out TV screen and head phones. What a great idea! The food was delicious - amazing peppered tuna salad and a fantastic steak with asparagus and peppercorn sauce.

Finally, I made use of the little fitness room. It is very small but beautifully clean and really quite well equipped. It's just enough for a quick workout before a flight.

I can recommend this hotel and will be back!

• Stayed August 2013
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a week in Madeira, flying from Birmingham Airport. As it was an early morning flight we booked into the onsite Novotel for the night before our departure. We made the booking through one of the websites that specialises in ‘undercover hotels’ and as such we didn’t pay the usual hotel room rate.

Having been dropped off by the airparks bus, it was not immediately obvious whereabouts the hotel reception was located, but having walked three sides of the building we did find it. The booking in process was quick and efficient, if somewhat lacking in ‘warmth’.

The room was quite adequate for our needs and appeared to have been recently repainted. Everything worked as it should and we enjoyed a good night’s sleep. The only negative to report about the room was the state of the carpet, it was heavily stained and made us feel uncomfortable to walk around in bare feet (though to be fair maybe other rooms are better than this).

The advertised fitness facilities do not include a running machine and I think the website should make this clear, for if I had known I wouldn’t have bothered getting changed and going down for a run.

We felt it was value for money, but definitely wouldn’t have been if we’d had to pay the full hotel advertised room rate. It describes itself as a four star and in our opinion it doesn’t warrant that description. Still as they say, if the price is right it is a good option for an onsite stay.

Room Tip: You shouldn't have to but, given the state of the carpet in our room, you might be well advised...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ColinL451
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to our Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about the condition of the bedroom carpet. which we are addressing. Kind regards, Ian Dick
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stayed here before an early morning flight to Nice. Its a stones throw from the Departures which is excellent at 6am. The hotel was clean, comfortable and very quite. The reception staff were very efficient. Did not fancy the menu so we popped over the the airport and ate there. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
newquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a night after a late afternoon flight. . Family rooms very small, dont expect room for the kids to run around in. But it was quiet, comfortable, and a reasonable price.. would stay again...

• Stayed July 2013