“Good overall value (if you book in advance)”

Novotel Birmingham Airport
Ranked #23 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Good overall value (if you book in advance)”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The property is right at the Birmingham airport - short walk from the car rental return and a shorter walk to the departure hall. Check-in was painless with zero wait time (unlike the Ibis at Schipol - waited over 30 minutes the last time I was there). The young lady doing the check-in was very friendly and informative. She made us feel unrushed and welcome, and provide great directions on how to get to a close by gas station before I turned in the rental.

Our room was modern and clean, and big enough (just) for the two of us for the one night. Interestingly, they have a double window system with about 1 foot dead space for sound deadening. I never heard any outside noise at night. There are very limited choices on TV, but I didn't stay there to watch television.

The included breakfast was good quality although very predictable. The breakfast service was very quick - probably use to dealing with business travelers who want to get in/get out as quickly as possible.

I had opted for the non-refundable, advance room purchase with full breakfast through a web service. In all, I have to give high marks in every area. This time I was traveling for pleasure, but I am already planning on staying here my next business trip.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ian_Dick, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Reviewer, I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the very near future. Kind regards, Ian Dick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

Staff were very friendly, hotel looked clean and presentable, customer service very good. Conference room average and compact. Buffet food for conference not brilliant. The salmon had dark bits on the edge of the segments not to be mistaken for salmon skin. This smelt odd and not as fresh as expected. The fries were cold and not hot. The wraps were good. I didn't like the way the buffet food was presented outside the conference room on a table where anyone could sneeze, cough or pick at the food whilst walking down the corridor. However customer service was good.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank retrodude
Ian_Dick, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Reviewer, Many thanks for taking the time to comment. I sincerely apologize for any inconvienence that this casued you. We appreciate all feedback, as this helps us improve on the guest service experience. If you’d like to talk about the matter further, please feel free to call me on 0121 7827000 Kind regards, Ian Dick
Saudi Arabia
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Check in was fast and efficient - very helpful and professional reception staff.
Rooms - on the small side but comfortable and clean - not much space to drag your suitcase passed the bed. Don't rely on the television alarm to wake you up......not sure if there was a problem with mine but luckily I was awake when it went off and it was on a very very low volume... wouldn't have woken me up from a deep slumber.
Great selection at breakfast although the staff seemed a little disorganized that particular morning - had to search around for someone to order my tea. If you can get the right deal it's still the best hotel on the airport complex... I particularly like the free internet service at reception and would stay there again.

Room Tip: I always opt for a higher floor room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Ian_Dick, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Washington
Reviewed September 28, 2012

but I wish the shower tub was not so high (not every one is under 40 or 6' tall!). Dinner at the restaurant was pleasant. I had beef and he had lamb. Service in the bar for a snack when we arrived, however, was dreadful. I was able to print out boarding passes at their computer with no charge.

Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We were very pleased with our overnight stay at the Novotel, the convenience of just walking across the road to Departures for an early flight was spot on. The room was comfortable, good shower and bed, and and the package of "Park & Fly" for 8 days @ £105.00 inc VAT was great value.

We had dinner in the Restaurant which was pretty good really for an airport hotel, the crab fishcakes did taste home made as billed. Steak and fish and chips both OK too. If you want to cut costs then pop across to the airport to eat.

If you can get a deal - and this hinges on any nearby events at the NEC when rates shoot up- this is definitely the hotel of choice when flying out of Birmingham.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Dont be fooled by the look of this restaurant. The food was overpriced and poorly executed. Starters were okay but all 4 of our main courses were dreadful. The Ceaser salad was just a small leaf salad, the green curry tasted like it had come out of a packet. By the time we had eaten we wished we had gone to Burger King. If your staying at this hotel and have time, then give this one a miss and make the effort to take a taxi to a real restaurant.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Ian_Dick, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed here for one night only, and were more than satisfied with the hotel, which was very clean, very comfortable, and had pleasant staff, which was a bonus. The bedroom was spacious. Very comfortable bed! Tea and coffee supplied. Separate bathroom and toilet. Iron and ironing board in the room, which personally I find a great addition, as it is always nice to be able to refresh clothes after being creased in the case, if needed. Satellite TV with many channels. Breakfast was excellent, big choice and very fresh.
It is very convenient, as it is situated on the airport itself, with only a short walk to the terminal building. We had a special deal for bed and breakfast for the Friday night, and to be fair it was reasonable. Weekday stays are apparently a lot more expensive. Another good point to make is that if parking the car in the NCP mid-short term parking, make sure that you request the discount card from reception before picking up your car and paying. We had four days parking at the airport, and were shocked to find out when we went to pay that it should have been £90.00. However, the discount card, which is put into machine before making payment adjusts the price and we landed up paying £48.00. This is a big difference.
As far as we are concerned there is nothing to complain about. Everything about the hotel was more than satisfactory, and when we travel from Birmingham Airport again or perhaps arrive back late, then we will have no hesitation in booking a room here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business