“Worst Place I've ever stayed!”
Review of Charde Guest House

and 1 more site!
Charde Guest House
Ranked #45 of 52 Birmingham B&B and Inns
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Worst Place I've ever stayed!”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We booked to stay 2 nights here while we were attended an event at the NEC.

The whole place stank of stale cigarette smoke, including the bed linen. The curtain rail fell off the wall when we tried to close the curtains. Part of the shower also fell off while my partner was showering.

The 'continental' breakfast only consisted of cereal and bread, which you could toast yourself. There was no fruit or yoghurt or anything. The other guests mess was all over the dining room when we came down for breakfast.

We decided to only stay for one of the two nights we booked because it was that awful!

We put a complaint in, but were refused our money back or any sort of compensation.

DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Princess_Nemi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Myself and a friend recently stayed at the Charde for one night whilst going to a Kings of Leon gig at the LG Arena. From the moment we walked in, we were ecstatic about the friendly and helpful greeting. We had intended to pay on card, but- as they have no machine- couldn't. The gentleman behind the counter could see that we were in a rush (and excited for our gig!) and said we could go to the cashpoint over the road in the morning. He gave us the number for a taxi firm and all the relevant information regarding check out times and breakfast. The decor is kitchy and a bit old fashioned but very clean and comfy so it didn't matter. For what you pay, it's nicer than a sterile-looking Travellodge. It was a 10 minute taxi drive to the LG which cost us £7, bargain. We arrived back Very Late, which was not a problem. We also slept in for breakfast, but the man knocked us to say he had left us the breakfast things out- about an hour after breakfast had officially finished. What a kind gesture!! Breakfast was great, a serve yourself continental with cereal and toast etc. All in all, we couldn't have asked for any better, and the friendliness of the proprietor did not go unappreciated!!! Well recommended :D

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sophie W
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Friendly staff,not too far from NEC. Really close to the airport. Eat and drink as much cereal toast, juice water coffee and tea ( fridge was broken so juice warm) The room was a bit rough, shower fell off the wall, not much space. Curtain rail came apart! Bed had no legs the mattress was well over used !! It's was £30 for a room for he night, we booked for two nights but stayed just the one. Probably wont stay again, it was somewhere to get your head down after a drink! Nice guy running it but it defo needs attention. My partner really cut his leg trying to get dry after the shower fell on him... He was really unimpressed !!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Coffeeismything
Highworth UK
Reviewed May 13, 2013

First impression was that it stank of stale smoke. Décor old. Has not been cared for. Tap not working properly.
Had booked a twin room. Got there and was switched to a double. Did not want a double. Had booked non-smoking and found had smoking.
Breakfast was basic - only cornflakes and toast which is not a continental breakfast as advertised.
Would definitely not return to this place. Steer well clear unless you are really desperate.

Room Tip: Avoid the outhouse
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank GrecianHighworthUK

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night for a concert at the LG, the place is old fashioned and could do with a bit of updating but for the price it was what we were expecting. The rooms was clean & warm, beds were fresh & comfy & the one guy who seems to do everything there was great really friendly & helpful. This place is ideal for somewhere to put your head if your off out in Birmingham

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Carla S
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Booked for a 1 night stay as were visiting the NEC. Turned up me and my boyfriend wernt expecting anything special for the price but this guest house is beyond a joke. Rang the door bell and was let in greeted by a man behind a little hatch who gave us a key to our room and told us to ring the emergency bell if we needed anything. On entering our room the t.v was on and after turning it of it came back on. The shower was obviously a converted wardrobe. And the bedding filthy I was to scared to stay here its like something out of a horror film. We left after 5 mimutes of being there.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank betsierose
Penrith, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I don't usually submit poor reviews, as I've stayed in some places which have not had the best reviews & found them perfectly reasonable. However I wish I'd had someone to tell me not to stay here. I booked for the proximity to the NEC & airport as I'd been working there one day and flying out early the next. However, despite being only 3 miles from both it cost me £15 in a taxi each way turning an otherwise average (?) value for money £35 into £65! For that I would have booked one of the travel lodge type places right at the NEC/airport.
As a single female traveller not accustomed to rougher areas of a city I found both the guest house and Tile Cross quite scary. To check in you had to ring a bell & wait for the door to be released then were attended to from behind a hatch, my room on the first floor was small with a cupboard sized en-suite which was cold. I didn't dare try the shower. The bed was an old divan style that looked as though it was coming apart, the headboard a piece of chipboard screwed to the wall and the curtains had a suspicious white stain on them near the head end of the bed. The bedding was clean though. There was a small tv with remote and all the freebies channels. When I ventured out to find a cash machine and some dinner I walked quite a way in a few directions but only found a Lidl & a small row of shops - most of them shuttered up. There was an Indian restaurant that I would not have felt comfortable eating in alone, and a corner shop type with a charge cash machine. I ended up eating crisps & cheese in my room as there was nothing else within walking distance.
I had asked if there could be a reduction in room rate as I would be gone before breakfast but was told no, that continental breakfast was laid out at midnight so I could get some before I left. When I went down at 4am all I could find was a mini fridge with some cartons of orange juice & milk & some margarine, a toaster & a kettle - no form of food anywhere or even teabags. I don't know if they'd forgotten to put it out or if that was it?
All in all I was glad to get to the airport where I bought breakfast & could relax!
I definately wouldn't recommend it for single female travellers, and please take into account the extra costs of taxis in this area if you are not driving yourself. I could easily have got a travel lodge room closer for this kind of money and been more comfortable.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank LyndiPester
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Ladywood
Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Centre
Central Guest House
#14 of 52 in Birmingham
Rollason Wood Hotel
#36 of 52 in Birmingham

Been to Charde Guest House? Share your experiences!