“Great food”

Shababs Balti Restaurant
Ranked #197 of 2,210 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Asian, Indian, Balti
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Shababs is located in the heart of the Balti Triangle on the renowned Ladypool Road. Shababs smart decor with henna patterned wallpaper greets the diner but make no mistake, this is a genuine Birmingham balti house right down to it's glass topped tables.Shabab is the place to enjoy Birmingham's famous culinary creation.... The Authentic Birmingham Balti.
London, United Kingdom
“Great food”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I popped in here with my nephew on a way to a gig before Christmas and chose this place out of all the restaurants on this road. Great chicken balti cooked to order and amazing stuffed naan pistachios and drizzled with honey
Will definitely go back when I'm in Birmingham
Thanks

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank blueb0ttle

“Great food and service”
Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

We went as a group of 8 and were welcomed at the door and shown to our table. We were served poppodums with our drinks, and then all our starters came at the same time. The paneer tikka starter looked presentable but was very bland. The main course was a lot better. I love how they present the food in the balti it's cooked in, it's very unique. Maybe need more choice of desserts.
Overall I would say it has a lot of choice especially for vegetarians. The service and atmosphere is excellent, also a very clean restaurant!! Will definitely be visiting again.

1 Thank Dee1234567890
Maidenhead, UK
“Best food in Bhm - you poor souls!”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Saturday 15th, table of 4.

Sat upstairs, which does not really have a "restaurant" feel to it.
Tables have the menu's under glass - quite a good idea and a large choice to choose from.
No alcohol served, so made the walk down to the offie to get some Cobra's.

I had never had a Birmingham Balti before, and asked for a recommendation - the best, or most popular balti.
The balti dish part is great, very hot food indeed.
The food, I thought was fair - I have certainly had better curries with more depth of flavour. If this was the best balti, in the best balti restaurant in Birmingham - then crikey!
Onion Bhaji's are not bhaji's but onion rings, in a slightly spicy batter. Bombay aloo, potato has not absorbed the flavours and needs a different, softer type of potato (not new potato)

Service can be slow, maybe because of a large party in the upstairs alongside us, together with the waiters running up and down stairs to the kitchen.

So - so at best.

• Visited December 2012
“Has to be the best balti restaurant in Birmingham's Balt Triangle”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We first visited this place in the summer and thought we would make an evening if it again after visiting the Christmas market in central Birmingham.
The restaurant is clean and tidy and has been refurbed quite recently. The food is fresh and individually cooked to ones taste! The service was great on both occasions, with waiters being efficient. The food was a bit slow on the last occasion hence it being a Saturday night and two floors full!
Glad to see they are doing excellent business following the recent car accident that hit the restaurant.

Birmingham uk
“Oh my God !!!”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We love this restaurant, the food is fantastic and the staff very good , but read on. We drive 15 miles to eat there so that's how much we enjoy it.

So we arrived on Sunday evening at 7pm and parked in the car park in the adjacent road no more than 50 metres from the front door. We crossed the road to the shop and went to walk by the unit next door. I noticed something moving on the ground by my feet and looked down and a rat had run across in front of me about 3ft from my shoes. It was dark and then saw to my left a seething, writhing pile of about 15 to 20 rats desperately devouring something discarded on the pavement. They were scrambling on top of each other to get to the food. Rats were running in and out of large gap under an old doorway to and from the feast. My girlfriend shrieked, my son gasped and we gently jogged back to the car and left the area immediately. We were in shock to be honest as non of us have ever seen anything like it in our lives.

Let me be very clear I am not for one minute suggesting the Shabab have a problem but it is rat mayhem in the empty unit right next door and its too close for me ever to return.

I telephoned Birmingham City Council about this the following morning and explained the situation and they told me that they do not deal with rats on the street. Shame on you BCC.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank time55out
Shababs, Owner at Shababs Balti Restaurant, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Hello LegalBear, thank you for your review. We are sorry you experienced this on the street by us. This issue has been brought to the attention of the owners of the unit a couple of doors down. The units next door to us on either side are currently occupied and they do not hold any responsibility or for that matter have any problems.
The owner of the derelict unit is working with a pest control company to resolve this issue. The owner will have to make minor adjustments to his property to deter pests. A pest control operative is visiting the area twice a day to manage progress and to bring the situation under control and then to a close.
Although the unit runs along the rear of the restaurant, there is a 15foot wall segregating us from the problem area.
Now this is for other people reading this review. My responsibility as a food business owner runs within the restaurant and the small 3ft x 9ft garden that we have. There is no problem in my garden or within the restaurant.
Our toilets are cleaner than some peoples houses and we run a strict cleaning schedule that my team adhere to.
I would like to stress I have been in business since 1987 in this very location and can proudly say I have never experienced a pest problem. We have recently had a visit from Environmental Health and everything was cleared as very good or excellent! I have never been prosecuted or had any charges brought against me or the restaurant for running a bad food operation.
This is a global problem that we are having to face, it is sometimes heard there may be more pests than people. The council can only do so much but certainly not excusing the fact that street bins and litter on the streets need to cleared on a regular basis. In some places bins are full to the rim. It is the Governments responsibility to lift the ban on certain poisons as some pests are becoming immune to the common poisons. They are legal in other parts of Europe except us!
There is a article on BBC news website, I am not allowed to leave web links here but if anyone wants to read up then you can do by googling 'rats become resistant to poison.'

Thank you for reading.