“Fantastic curries”

Shababs Balti Restaurant
Ranked #136 of 2,379 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Asian, Indian, Balti
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Shababs is located in the heart of the Balti Triangle on the renowned Ladypool Road. Shababs smart decor with henna patterned wallpaper greets the diner but make no mistake, this is a genuine Birmingham balti house right down to it's glass topped tables.Shabab is the place to enjoy Birmingham's famous culinary creation.... The Authentic Birmingham Balti.
Reviewed February 12, 2012

We went for dinner on Saturday night and it was very busy but the staff were not at all fazed and were polite and extremely helpful. The tandoori mixed starter was amazing - hot, smoky and well spiced chicken, lamb and sheek kebab. We had chicken dansak balti and chicken, aloo and spincach balti. Both were incredibly tasty and nicely spiced complimented by a perfect yeasty, crisp yet soft and scoopy naan...yummmmmm We were even given wine glasses for our BYO. Definitely going back here asap.....

Reviewed January 30, 2012

I went there soley because of a deal on groupon and can say without doubt we will be going back!
The mix grill starters were the best quality and taste I have had anywhere then onto the balti mains which had thick and tastey sauce and again great meat. There was no silly couloring or fat flaoting on top.
Although I found the service intitially slow it was accompanied ny several apologies and they were unusually busy for a Sunday night, but it was very freindly,

Reviewed January 25, 2012

I recently went to Shabab restaurant after being enticed by the reviews on this and other review sites. My experience was rude, distasteful and altogether vile...and that is just the service itself!!
I phoned in advance to book a table for myself and a group of 8 girls for a birthday party. Looking back the response on the phone should have made me think twice and go elsewhere, but hindsight is a wonderful thing!
The male waitor on the phone began nice enough, but then he began asking questions that were not relevant to the booking whatsoever! He asked if there were all females, if they were married and if he could persuade us to stay until the early hours, as the restaurant was open until 3am. Considering we booked for 10pm, I fail to see how this was in anyway relevant to our booking.
On the day we arrived 10 minutes early, and saw were no other customers. Even so, 2 waiters acknowledged our presence, but kept us waiting at the counter for 10 minutes while they finished their conversation on what clubs they'd been to the previous night.
When they eventually confirmed our booking and showed us to our seats we couldn't sit down, due to food rubbish left by previous customers, which the waiters grunted about having to clean up, as if it was all somehow our fault!
We all though the food can only get better, and we set about ordering a wide selection of starters, kormas, baltis, sides, biryanis, veggie dishes and desserts for everyone to sample.
40 minutes later we were still waiting for it, after numerous complaints and disgruntled replies from the staff. The food looked appetising when it arrived, but despite the time taken the lamb biryani and lamb korma was cold.
We notified the waiters of this, but we were informed that was how it was supposed to be. When we insisted we were not happy with it, he said he would take it off our bill, but we still couldn't get a replacement for it.
The restaurant was still empty 2 hours after we'd been there, and we were starting to think that people had got the right idea about this restaurant, and maybe we should have avoided it too.
During our meals the waiters confirmed our opinions by aiming lewd and suggestive remarks at us. One stated he was glad he had the whole restaurant to himself, and have a group of girls to share it with. Afew of my friends stated they were married and were just on a birthday night out, but the waiter still persisted with making uncomfortable and at times disgusting suggestions. The second waiter witnessed all this, and also got involved by getting a chair and sitting on our table, which we again stated we were not comfortable with.
At this point we rushed through our desserts and went to settle our bill. Firstly the waiter charged us for the cold lamb korma and biryani which we had not consumed, and he conveniently seemed to forget he said he would remove it from the bill.
Then, he persisted with telling us to stay for "light-night opening" and have fun. We refused, and turned to leave, but as a parting shot he stated he had my friends telephone number we used to book a table and he would be phoning us.
Since then, he was true to his word, and after persistent lewd phone-calls full of innuendos and disgusting language my friend was forced to change her number.
After hundreds of fun restaurant outings, this has been the worst by far, and neither myself nor my friends will be recommending this restaurant to anyone.
I would whole-heartedly recommend you do everything to avoid this "restaurant," unless you want to have over-priced, cold food arrive late, and suffer from poor service and harrassment from the staff for not following their lewd and disgusting wishes!

8  Thank Sally H
Reviewed January 9, 2012

My partner and I ate at Shabab based on Trip Advisor reports of it being ones of the best balti houses in the Balti Triangle. We were not disappointed.

Having had a beer or too in Birmingham and a quick taxi ride to Spark Hill, we were delighted with both the service and the quality of food.

Our delightful waiter explained the difference between a standard curry and a Balti, we opted for a couple of chicken ones cooked exactly as requested. My peshwari nan was AMAZING. Nothing like the usual floppy bread and flaked coconut, it was a wonderful texture and drizzled with golden syrup! Simply divine!

All in all a really pleasant experience and the bill was only 27 pounds! Cheap as...chips!

The kindly waiter offered to order us a taxi back to Brum which was an added bonus.

If you are looking for authentic balti...look no further, it tasted great and won't break the bank!

FYI - Bring your own booze (there is an off license just up the road with a good selection) as they don't have a license to serve alcohol!

1  Thank BradandEmma
Reviewed January 6, 2012

My partner booked us a table at this restaurant for my birthday. He looked at the Tripadvisor reviews and was convinced that this restaurant had to be the best...

The results: dull, over-hyped and average. It is not awful, but is by no means the exceptional restaurant the other reviewers state.

Good points: clean, good service, wide range of choice, free poppadoms, cheap.

Bad points: the chicken pakoras were utterly bland, served up with the same sauce as the poppadoms with an afterthought of iceberg lettuce. The lamb balti was uninspiring, with slimy mushrooms. The atmosphere was dull.

I hope this serves as a more balanced view so that no one else gets fooled.

5  Thank Burgundy79