“Brilliant value Mondays!!”
Review of Raja Monkey

Raja Monkey
Reserve with OpenTable
Raja Monkey is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #94 of 2,379 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Get closer to the real India at Birmingham's most vibrant road-side cafe. Feast on true classic curries from India's far-flung corners or explore the wonderful flavour variety of our Thalis, the undoubted stars of the show.
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Went this evening with my parents, my first time there 8th. We had too book, table was ready straight away. Atmosphere nice, nice you can see into kitchen and see the chefs cooking, all looked very clean and tidy. On a Monday they do for £16 per person a "Thalli", for a starter we had four different things including a spicy chicken, deep fried fish, potato/corn barji, a wrap (my fave) with dips. Main was 4 different curries, lamb,chicken,prawn and lentil, plus a side of rice, naan and kind of bombay potato, all delicious.. The dessert was the only let down, it was nice but not just as nice as the other food, it was also served to us whilst all our main dishes were still on the table, so we had to push these t one side our selves as they were not taken away. All in all, a lovely meal and especially for £16 each! what a bargain for the quality and quantity that we got. I would defiantly go back on a Monday and any other night also to try the full menu,

1  Thank Zoezzz

Reviewed March 30, 2013

4 of us have just been for dinner with starters, mains and desserts. All tried something a little different to the normal dishes you'd expect and already planning to try their Monday night thali experience.

If you want your typical balti then go somewhere else as it's not what this restaurant is about....might free up a table for my return too!

Great night, good value and highly recommended

2  Thank darkleader82
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Monday night is Thali night and it is superb value around £40 for 2 with a couple of drinks. It is a good opportunity to try out dishes you may not normally order. I have visited Lasan eatery many times and never been disappointed their food is fantastic and reminds me of my holidays to Kerala. A particular favourite of mine are the Dosa's which don't feature on many menus but that said I like everything I have tried. I have never been to the original Lasan but don't feel the need to as this is local and doesn't disappoint. Everyone I have take here has remarked on the quality and tastiness of the food. The waiters are excellent and as others have said attentive without being intrusive, I also like the fact that the kitchen is open and you can watch the food being cooked. Haven't tried a takeaway yet I do live within the delivery area so maybe will give it a go in this snowy weather.

2  Thank susie186220
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We're lucky enough to live within the Lasan Eatery delivery area and it's our "treat night in" choice every time. But tonight we finally made it into the premises, and have been fed royally once again!

What's great about this place is that the subtle spicing and fresh ingredients really make their food stand out. Thin, fresh and utterly non-greasy popadoms preceded a feast whose highlights included Karuvepillai Kozhi Kozambu, garnished with curry leaves and subtly spiced with (I think) star anise, and Kadela Kari - chickpeas, cumin, Kashmiri chilli and chaat masala, which was quite the yummiest side dish and even better than the excellent Aloo Gobi. Peas Pilau made a refreshing change and I maintain that the Naan bread (we had Peshwari and Plain) is the best I've had outside India.

It's a smallish place, quite long and narrow, with booths at the front with a view into the open kitchen, and tables towards the back. Service is excellent, with staff attentive but not intrusive. Bill for the 3 of us was just under £50 including a round of drinks and a bottle of water, and we couldn't finish everything, which is slightly heartbreaking when the food's as good as this,

2  Thank BigPants69
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

Had a very good meal at the Lasan eatery. My starter - a chicken kebab - was absolutely sublime.

The only gripe was that the girlfriend's main was too spicy (without warning on the menu).

The food was excellent - very comparable to the original Lasan - but for only half the price.

I'll be back!