“just keeps getting better”
Review of Loves Restaurant - CLOSED

Loves Restaurant
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ladywood
Reviewed August 30, 2010

My partner and I recently visited loves for the second time since it opened. This time on a Friday night instead of a Saturday. We were very pleased with the meal and the food was even better than last time if that’s possible. As for once this summer it was not raining, we chose to sit outside and enjoy a drink before we ate. I was very glad to see that the drinks menu now includes a cocktail list, meaning I picked a lovely Cosmo with a hidden twist of marmalade vodka in it! My other half ordered a glass of Grenache I think it’s called Willunga which was very fresh and not too heavy, actually a very enjoyable red.
Having gone straight from work, we opted for the two course deal which costs £34.50 I think. My partner order the mini melo of salmon that is served warm and melted in the mouth and is served with a lightly battered oyster. I ordered the pigeon with chocolate and cherries. The pigeon was stunning, served pink and beautifully tender and the chocolate and cherries added to the depth. We ordered the rib eye to share, which was served with tomatoes, mushrooms, and a selection of veg. We were also given a lovely copper pot with mash potato to share which was again lovely. The rib eye was so tender and perfectly seasoned; I wish I could cook my steaks with that much flavour!
We finished with coffee and petit fours, the free coffee refills are definitely a plus point... The service was excently, definitely the right side of formal and professional. We never had to wait for our glasses to be topped up, and the plates were cleared not long after we had finished. The waitresses were very friendly, Claire, came over to chat to use in the evening as we had be asking about the wine. She is certainly knowledgeable about her wines and is incredibly passionate about the restaurant.
The bill cost to just over £100 for two of us and we will definitely be going back in the near future and I only see the food getting better. Compared to the other leading restaurants in Birmingham, I can see myself eating here regularly as the atmosphere and food are definitely a cut above the rest!

Reviewed August 2, 2010

I expected a lot more from Loves and was left pretty disappointed with the whole experience.

Positives about the restaurant were the decor and the reasonably priced wine. Everything else about Loves failed to impress.

The food is clearly style over substance, from the taster menu only one dish was anything othr than average (chicken satay type dish).

The amuse bouche and all of the sorbets tasted like baby food, far too sweet and not very good texture. The sorbet with pork scratchings was vile.

The main course of lamb was ok but a very very small portion.

Strawberry dessert was poor, too many components and none that went together.

Our waitress was clumsy and awkward, at one point food slipped off the plate onto the table as she was fiddling with the plate too much.

The general atmosphere was a little stuffy and i was looking forward to finishing the meal so i could escape the crushing silence, for the love of good put some back ground music on - and not the random 80's easy listening album that was put on half way through the night.

We spent £180.00 on a meal for 2. For that sort of money i expected a lot better. Avoid this place and pay a visit to Purnells or Edwards instead.

Reviewed July 25, 2010

I won't write too much, suffice to say this is a little gem. It's quite expensive but the food was extraordinary. Each plate seems to be made with exquisite skill and care and the owner even came out to explain each dish to us. Expect to pay well over £100 for 2 but these days even a fairly standard restaurant can charge close to this. Highly recommended.

Reviewed June 13, 2010

There are hundreds of restaurants in Birmingham and more than a handful are absolutely exquisite. Despite being situated off the beaten track and only open for a few months, Loves' reputation seems to have come out of nowhere and consequently my girlfriend and i decided that we would book ourselves in before it became too trendy and or too expensive.

The food is pretty good, not yet of Michelin Star quality and consistency, but aspects of the meal weren't far off it. The wine list is fantastic and the decor of the restaurant lends itself to a fine dining experience, however the service and front of house staff are like the product of a one night stand between a Stepford wife and a sedative addicted, tax inspector.

Loves is small and the atmosphere was killed dead by its staff. Incredibly formal, unnecessarily pretentious and on the verge of socially dysfunctional.

Other than being an overly-vocal advocate of her husband's cooking, Clare Love's mastery of the skills required to work in front of house capacity leave a lot to be desired. The small size of the restaurant interior and the mannerism's of both Clare Love and her staff made the whole experience feel a little like eating dinner in the headmasters office accompanied by your Gran and your Great Aunts.

Michelin star dining this is not. .

Despite the good food, we won't be going back to Loves. Birmingham has other similarly priced restaurants with similar quality food and infinitely more engaging and friendly service; something that a fine dining experience requires.

4  Thank MickKennedy
Reviewed June 10, 2010

Struggled to find it, but once we had, the food was a delight. We had the 2 courses for £34 deal so not overly expensive for the standard either. Neither of us could fault the food - I am still raving about the raspberry and basil sorbet. The front of house person was slightly surly, which was a bit of a shame and the atmosphere was very muted, so you probably wouldn't enjoy it if you were raucous, but nevertheless, I would absolutely recommend giving it a go. Especially good for couples.

1  Thank Sazzle02