“Can't wait to go again” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Loves Restaurant - CLOSED

Loves Restaurant
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Ladywood
west midlands
“Can't wait to go again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

I ate here with my husband and the whole evening was fantastic. The food was second to none and I savoured every delicious mouthful. I did wonder about the cucumber taster, but it was divine. The service, restaurant and setting were all lovely. In fact I have nothing to complain about. I will certainly be back.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2012

We've been before, but not for more than a year. It's better now and the restaurant has been redesigned, though the seats are still far from the last word in comfort. The wine list by the glass is rather better than the website suggest and I had a pleasant cote be Brouilly.

We ate:
Amuse 1: Cold cucumber soup with cucumber sorbet.
Amuse 2: Curried parsnip veloute with goat's cheese and olive oil.

Partner's starter: Carpaccio of beef with corned beef croquette and pickled vegetables.
My starter: Slow-cooked belly pork, crispy pig's ear, pickled mussels, black pudding crumb,

Main: we shared Herefordshire middle ribeye, pickled carrots, Paris mushrooms, bearnaise sauce, pomme Mont d'Or, red wine jus.

Predessert: Passionfruit creme.

PArtner's Dessert: 'White Rum', rum cake, mango, lime curd, palm sugar ice cream.
My Dessert: 5 local(ish) cheeses, each with its own chutney,

Coffee: petits four.

it was beautifully cooked and very well-presented. I've had food that wasn't as good in Michelin 1*'s. Portion sizing looks small, but isn't (if anything, the main was a bit on the big size). I'm still a little unconvinced that it was ribeye ( not a complaint, and probably my ignorance), since I was expecting a bit more fat.

The redesigned restaurant is nice, but the location (Canal Square, a bit off the City Centre's beaten track is a bit of a problem. Car parking nearby isn't good either. Nevertheless, a splendid meal with quite decent service.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dr_Bob1
Birmingham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My new favourite restaurant in Birmingham!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2012

I have worked in restaurants for many years now and currently work in Birmingham and whilst I had heard of Loves, had never had the chance to dine there until my boyfriend booked it for me for my birthday as a surprise. We both had the tasting menu and as it was a Wednesday evening, we were even more delighted to find out that it as £48 instead of the normal £68. Every course was every well balanced and perfectly cooked. We choose to have the wine tasting option with the food and couldn’t believe how well each of the wines was matched to the dishes. Really looking forward to returning soon as they were telling us about the English tasting menu with matching wines that they do in June every year. This is now my new favourite restaurant in Birmingham and should be on everyone’s must list for places to treat yourself to.

1 Thank kinga k
Solihull
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

It was our anniversary so we treated ourselves to the taster food and wine menu. All the courses were great, especially the pork and beef dishes. Nice restaurant and setting. The only slight negative was the service. Two waitresses rushed and mumbled the explanation of the dishes and it was really hard to understand what they said. One felt their heart's were not really into it. Otherwise though it is highly recommended and cheaper that the Michelin 1 star places offering a similar menu.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Stratford-upon-Avon, England, United Kingdom
“Great food great atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

We went to loves for our first valentines. We wouldn't normally spend this much on food, but we thought we would treat ourselves. We had 8 taster dishes. All extremely tastey and explained thoroughly. Most things we'd never tried before as they were weird combos like pork scratchings and apple sorbet but were so yummy. We were made to feel welcome and the service was quick. The restaurant is close to broad street. So great destination too. Couldn't fault the evening, would go again.