“surprise”

Winterbourne House and Garden
Ranked #8 of 282 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: Restored to its Edwardian Arts and Craft splendour, Winterbourne House is a unique heritage attraction – set within seven acres of beautiful botanic gardens. Only minutes from Birmingham city centre, Winterbourne is a hidden gem – home to beautiful antiques and over 6,000 plant species from around the world. Wander along the woodland walk, stroll through the hazelnut tunnel, cross the 1930’s Japanese Bridge or simply soak up the tranquillity of this perfectly English Edwardian home.
Birmingham
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“surprise”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

This is a most delightful garden and house tucked away in Edgbaston. We certainly felt that the gardens were to a very high standard and had a lovely afternoon here. There is also a restaurant serving reasonable food, although at busy periods the service was somewhat slow

Visited December 2013

• Greek first
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Lovely educational visit”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

This is the first time I have visited the house even though I do not live very far away, my daughter and I went into the restaurant first as it was lunch time when we visited, we found it to be a little expensive, we had a drink each and shared a sandwich which came to over ten pounds, afterwards I had a mince pie and cream which luckily was reduced to £1, the food was delicious and the restaurant was spotlessly clean and when you sit down you have a good view of the gardens but we both thought that the price was a little excessive.
Walking round the house was very educational, the slide show was interesting but I was always lead to believe that Queen Victoria died on January 23rd 1901 and not the 22nd as stated, the silhouette of John Nettlefold that appears on the wall and talks to you was very good but frightened me as it suddenly appeared and I was not sure where it had come from.
I would visit again but would only have a drink and not a meal.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Paulinec707
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Perfect birthday day out for Mom!”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We took my Mom here for a birthday day out and didn't realise until we arrived that it was the GKN Nettleford's ex home. it was a lovely lovely place to wander round the house and garden, it was like National trust only new! Beautiful Sanderson wall coverings and curtains throughout only added to the experience as did the train set display which told the story of some of the buildings the Nettleford family were linked to. We'll definitely be going again!

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Well worth a visit”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I visit Winterbourne weekly. Sometimes with friends or with my elderly mother. The house has been well restored , using some interesting and creative techniques. Delicious food served all day. Everything is freshly made. The gardens are lovingly and expertly tended. I love going through the year and appreciating how cleverly the gardens have been planted to have something popping up all year round.

Isle of Wight
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Visited Winterbourne Tues 12th Nov 2013 with the idea of just spending a short time viewing the house. After a delightful lunch, we visited the house and a very informative, friendly and enthusiastic guide gave us a wealth of information about the house and family. We then thought we would have a quick look around the garden which appeared to be quite small. What a surprise, we spent the next couple of hours exploring a hidden gem as the garden opened up more of its secrets, including a walk through the woods. Great value for money and a place we will visit again.