“Really tasty food and excellent service”
Review of Cocoa by Ali

Cocoa by Ali
Ranked #10 of 65 Dessert in Birmingham
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Me and my friend came here and we’re welcomed really well by the friendly staff. Service was really prompt, both taking our order and our food coming out.
10/10 food too!

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (73)

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The food was delicious and came quickly, and the prices were reasonable. Would definitely come back.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I wish I could write a good review as I had high hopes and I would love to support a small local business, but it was such a disappointment! The weather was lovely and the location is great - next to the canal and in a really social area. Everything really is style over substance.

FOOD
My husband had the lime (and coconut I think?) cake slice, which was so dry so it kept crumbling off our forks. The flavours were mediocre.

I had the prawn tacos, which weren’t even tacos. Mini tortillas (not even toasted, just straight out of a packet) with four bite sized deep fried prawns on a bed of standard salad and salsa. I could literally have made a better dish myself at home with minimal effort. Couldn’t taste the prawns at all due to the salsa (which also tasted shop bought). Came with two lime pieces, one of which was literally dry and crusty, as though it was from the back of the fridge! Surely a mistake from the kitchen?!

DRINK
I ordered a virgin mojito, but was again disappointed when they gave me a room temperature bottled branded mojito. I asked for a glass with ice, but because it was ice from tap water it had a strong chlorinated taste (I know Birmingham tap water can be bad in some areas).

PRICE
After everything we just wanted to pay the bill and never come back. Total cost should have been around £15, but the waiter gave me 10% off the bill when I mentioned the dry shrivelled lime on my plate.

All in all, would not recommend at all.
All the food looked pretty but tasted poor; I don’t mind paying for good food but this isn’t it!
Again, pretty location, well decorated, but completely style over substance. Avoid.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Such a cute, dinky, well presented place! Wish I'd discovered it sooner! The food was lush and I can't wait to go again! Definitely definitely worth going to - you won't be disappointed

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Cute little place in a nice location (near the cube and Mailbox, go up the steps and down the bridge and it will be to your left). Had the Brioche Baked Toast which was nice, service was fast and friendly and the toast was perfect - not too sweet and the fruit served alongside it was fresh.
The interior was cute but a very small place! I expected it to be a lot bigger, so maybe not good for groups but definitely worth a visit if you are around!