Open today: 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM

from $13.01
from $104.60
from $26.10
More Info
All reviews jewellery quarter nib making run by volunteers ink wells volunteer staff entrance fee interesting place worth a visit on display two hours great visit coffin works nibs calligraphy braille typewriter donation
Reviewed December 7, 2014

Only popped in as it was cold and they were open but had a great time & learned something , the volunteers were informed and passionate , found myself thoroughly enjoying it .

Reviewed December 4, 2014

Thank you to the volunteers at the Pen Museum for showing me and my colleagues round today. The museum is run by volunteers and entirely funded by donations so there's no entrance fee. I telephoned ahead to book a tour these start at 11am. School parties are welcome boy book ahead. The museum is geared to catering for children. The volunteers were very knowledgeable about the history of pens and other writing implements. Including typewriting, Braille and stenography. The tour took an hour and can have a go at making a knib, calligraphy and view many interesting pens and objects connected with the subject from around the world. Very worthwhile and close to the Coffin Works and other museums.

1  Thank Angela3
Reviewed December 2, 2014

called to the pen museum on Sunday around 3.30
It was closing shortly but the volunteer stayed and let us look around,he was so passionate,we could have stayed there for hours,we made our own pen nib and then looked at the old badges and how they were made looked at all the old football badges then had a play on the type writers.my friend ust to have one so it brought back memories, also we had a try at calligraphy very poorly I must say, would love to be able to do it properly,to find I am left handed and I need left hand nib which I purchased for £0.50 pence just put a donation into the bottle a lovely hour we had wished we could have stayed longer . Just like to thank the guide that why I have wrote the review.

1  Thank debra3008
Reviewed December 2, 2014

I visited the Museum with my children aged 9 and 7 - we were shown around by a very knowledgeable gentleman volunteer who kept the children engaged at every stage. We had the chance to produce our own ink pen nibs using various different machines while learning more about the conditions for workers during Victorian times. The children loved writing with a quill pen in the Victorian school room and playing with the typewriters. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed December 1, 2014

The secrets and treasures of the pen. As a democratic tool of knowledge and storytelling, the incredibly generous volunteers share the local history of world leading pen making. A large chapter of industrial history. They published a precious book: "People, Pens & Production in Birmingham's Steel Pen Trade" ed. Brian Jones MBE, 2013, Brewin Books.