“Good value, need more staff”

Travelodge Birmingham Central Newhall Street
Ranked #54 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
“Good value, need more staff”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stayed here to go to gig at NIA which was 10 min walk away. Good location for Bull Ring to. Room was clean and spacious. Only problem seemed they didn't have enough staff at busy times. Great value at £23 a room.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
UK
Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

Really good value for the weekend. However, the distance from the main bar street meant we needed a taxi there and back and there weren't lots of food choices nearby. Roadworks on Sunday morning starting at 8am was horrendous and spoilt the stay, out of courtesy the hotel should have informed guests. There were three of us in each of the four rooms we booked but only 1 set of towels in the rooms which was annoying. One if the sofabeds was made up for us but other three weren't, not what you want to do when you get back after a night out.

• Stayed July 2013
TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Care at Travelodge Birmingham Central Newhall Street, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear UkHappytripper. We’re really sorry to hear about the disruption outside the Hotel during your stay, we do attempt to reduce the noise outside the hotel the best we can by having double glazing and insulated walls. We are sorry you were not informed of this disturbance prior to your stay. We also do expect our rooms should be set up with the correct amount of towels and the sofa bed to be made up before your arrival, your feedback will be shared with our hotel staff which will help support any improvements that need to be made.
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This Travelodge looks pretty new and as such is clean and smart and doesn't have the "seen better days" look that some other city Travelodges have. We booked it as it was close to the NIA and we were going to a concert there. It's about a 5 minute walk along the canalside to the arena, and the bars and restaurants near it. About a 10 to 15 minute walk from the centre of town. The staff were very helpful and friendly, even pretty late at night when we called into the bar for a drink after the concert. The room had a flat screen tv, tea and coffee making, and a double bed and sofa bed that converts to a single. The bathroom was clean and modern. We had a quiet and comfortable nights sleep and at just £21 for the room (we paid months in advance!) it was a great bargain. I'd definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed for one night as we were going for a night out in Birmingham.
When we arrived about 8pm, I was very worried because the people at the check-in in front of us were arguing with the staff as there were no rooms left apparently even though they had booked it. I was ready to go insane as I had been charged for the room already and otherwise we'd be roaming the streets of Birmingham without anywhere to stay! When it was our turn however the man said 'we only have twin rooms left'. This was fine by me as I was staying with a friend. So that was a relief. But I'm not sure what kind of place would overbook? We physically couldn't arrive any earlier so I guess if you don't turn up in time they just give your room to someone else? It's not very reassuring.

Anyway, our room was very clean, the beds were very comfy, the facilities were very good. I cannot fault the room itself! It was easy to locate and it was close to the club we were visiting on our night out. The staff were friendly. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
TravelodgeUK, Sophie from Customer Care at Travelodge Birmingham Central Newhall Street, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Thanks for your review Jack R, it’s really good to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We can confirm that on the rare occasion where customers need to be relocated our hotel staff will attempt to make the process as smooth as possible. Our hotel staff are trained in how to deal with such situations and will always try to reduce the impact on the customer by finding suitable alternative accommodation as close by to the hotel as possible and we will cover the cost of any additional travel expenses.
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed at the hotel on Wednesday night and couldn't fault my stay. I stay in Birmingham a lot and feel I have stated in almost every hotel in the city! This was my first stay at the Newhall Street Travelodge. I think it was the manager and assistant manager that checked me in - both were very friendly and welcoming which was what you want at the end of a long day!

The room was basic but to be honest had everything you need for a couple of nights. Good size too - bigger than some hotels in the city that you pay double the price for and the bed really comfy!

Do make sure you bring some shampoo with you as it's not supplied - you do get the smallest bar of soap in the world though!

I didn't have breakfast but did have some Nachos for dinner - good size portion and less than a fiver!

I just parked outside, free between 6pm and 8 - so just paid a bit for what I needed but the folks on reception had said you get a discount at the nearby NCP.

If your planning to go into the city you are just 5-10 minute walk to both Newstreet and Broadstreet!

Will defiantly use this hotel again when next in Birmingham, which won't be too long!

• Stayed September 2013
Cardiff
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Now - a Travelodge is a Travelodge. But I must admit my stay in this Travelodge was a pleasant stay. The highlight was the bed....very very comfortable. The lowlight was the WiFi - paid for in advance it was such a fuss to log into it every time I turned on my laptop. The extras were basic - i.e one small bar of soap and that's it! Bathroom was your standard Travelodge bathroom with a good sized shower.Within a 5 min walk to The Library and The Rep - it was ideal for my stay. There was a car park about 100yds away at a cost of £6 per 24 hours.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 21, 2013

The hotel is in a good location. The front desk staff was polite, friendly and helpful.
The breakfast was good and as advertised unlimited all you can eat.
The room was clean, spacious and the bed comfortable.
Ten minute walk would put you in the city centre and great shopping area or a five minute taxi ride you can visit the largest library in the UK.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends