“A small Thai with a jazz soundrack”
Review of sabai sabai

sabai sabai
Ranked #315 of 2,379 Restaurants in Birmingham
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Moseley and Kings Heath
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Arranged on a whim (you can do that with grown up children out at work) we managed to get a table on the condiiton we were finished by 9.30. No problem...

As we chose our food there were complimentary Thai fries with sweet chiili sauce (a nice touch) We started with a crispy duck salad with accompanying barbecue sauce , which although tasty, was not particularly thai. It could have been served at any good resteraunt. I would choose differently as the other starters looked good.

I went for my usual Masaman beef curry. This is a southern Thai staple that I have had many times, each time very different. The Sabai Sabai version was creamy and flavourful, with wonderful tender beef and the accompanying sticky rice was superb.

My wife went for a prawn red curry, full of flavour and with crisp vegetables.

The Moseley branch is a small place, with closely packed tables. The decor is wood pannelling with thai fourishes.

The background music was generic cocktail jazz. It's not my music choice, but it was at the right volume to enable conversation, without running the risk of being overheard. That's not an easy thing to get right.

Staff were friendly and attentive, dealing with a small billing error quickly and being willing to chat. It was good value too.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is my favourite Thai restaurant I have been to in England since I have been back from Thailand so can't recommend it enough. Food is amazing and have been back many times.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I had heard really good reviews of this place so wanted to try it out.
i had the thai fish cakes for starters and pad thai for my main. My friend has the mixed seafood and rice.
I was a bit disappointed with the fish cakes. They were not as tasty as ones I had from this Thai street food stall in Kings Heath (Buddha Belly) the week before.
My pad thai was good but i must have somehow mixed some of the chillis that were on the side of the plate into the noodles as my head was nearly blown off.
The dishes were good sized portions but taste wise i would have said its no better than Kinnaree or Barton Arms.
price - very reasonable

1  Thank Maisy W
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Staff were friendly and attentive; food was tasty and good quality; and my overall experience was very positive. Disappointed by the absent-minded people who let the front door slam heavily as they came and went. Loved the graffiti by the kitchen that, while just as attractive in its own way, had nothing to do with the rest of the Thai-inspired decor. Try the coconut pancakes!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have been to the Harborne branch a few times but just wanted to see what the older smaller branch in Moseley had to offer. What an absolute hidden treasure. The food is excellent, cooked to order and definately value for money and the service is impeccable. If you are looking for ambience, great service and an excellent choice of Thai dishes, i would highly recommend Sabai Sabai in Moseley. I would also recommend making a reservation before travelling. One down side, off-road parking is limited however saying that - there are many side roads close by where parking is available. Great work team!

1  Thank G-Neeus