“My clothes still smell of damp”

Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC
Ranked #61 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed on a quiet Sunday night prior to a business appointment the next morning. No issues parking although £7 per night seems a bit steep.

Location is great for local businesses, NEC and the airport, which is so close that you can sit outside and inhale the kerosene fumes.

Talking of bad smells, my room stank of damp. I think the shower had leaked or was still leaking judging by the warped laminate flooring which caused the door to stick. I didn't mention this to reception because I had zero confidence in the guy who checked me in and, after an hour or so, my nose got used to it.

However, I realised that overnight everything I had brought with me had taken on an unpleasant smell. In general the hotel was a little tired and shabby looking.

I tried the bar and restaurant/lounge, which is in reality one large, soulless through area, which was staffed by a guy so stereotypically miserable, he could have been from central casting.

The in house food offering was poor. Quite a small choice of uninspiring dishes, inexpertly reheated. My pasta was stuck together, chicken as tough as old boots and the ice cream dessert was served half in, and half out of the bowl. Not cheap either.

The quality of the staff improved the next morning and breakfast was actually quite nice, but by this time I'd had enough.

A great location, but the budget hotel market is closely faught and other places do it much better. Avoid.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank inspec71
Judith G, General Manager at Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Thank you for your comments, they are invaluable to us to improve our service standards. I am very sorry that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us.
We would very much have liked to be given the opportunity to change your room immediately on hearing there was a problem with the shower drain.
We pride ourselves on giving excellent customer service and apologise again that your experience was not up to the standard we both expect.
The menu is constantly under review and we will consider your feedback during the next menu change.
We hope you will visit us in the future so we can restore your faith in us and meet your expectations.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,493)

Reviewed September 23, 2013

A hotel very near the National exhibiton centre, NEC (5 minutes walk).
Really close to trains that take you direct into central Birmingham (10 minutes).
No pub in the house, but an ok restaurang.
Breakfast was nice, rooms are ok.
It is "almost" walking distance, 5 minutes by taxi, from airport.
Please walk over the The little owl, 20 minutes walk. A very nice country pub.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review of our hotel. The NEC, Birmingham Airport and Birmingham International Railway Station is very short distance which our guests do find very convenient.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed for one night - a Saturday.

Arrival was by train and the hotel is around a ten minute walk from Birmingham International railway station. The purpose of our stay was for a concert at the LG arena and took 15 minutes to walk to/from there.

The hotel is modern and clean. Rooms have TV and tea/coffee facilities.

I would have rated this hotel 4/5 - but the following let it down.

"Robotic" check-in by a receptionist on auto-pilot who looked like she had already checked 300 rooms in that day.
A hard bed with inadequate pillows
The pump action soap dispensers in the bathrooms were held onto the wall by a bracket that was too small. When you went to "pump" some soap out the plunger went down about 1mm. In the end we took the soap bottle out of the holder and it worked fine.
No-one at reception on Sunday morning (about 7.30am) to check-us out. We waited and eventually just left our key behind reception and walked out (luckily we had already settled our room in full).

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your comments, we listen to and act upon all feedback to improve our offering. We hope you enjoyed the concert at the LG arena.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Stayed recently for 2 nights as I was at a conference at the NEC. This is probably the most characterless hotel I've ever stayed in! Parking facilities are atrocious and totally inadequate for the size of hotel. The reception area is cold and uninspiring too. The dining area and bar reminded me of my school canteen. Rooms are ok but they have laminate flooring which turns the room into an ice rink when getting out of the shower.....you have been warned. Went down for breakfast the next morning to be told that I have to pay, I had an email on the phone which said it was included but the member of staff was rude and directed me to reception.....I just left and went to Wetherspoons in the NEC. Oh and I called down to reception for a couple of extra pillows as the ones on the bed were paper thin......still waiting!! It's fair to say I won't be staying there again.

3  Thank Kevin D
Judith G, General Manager at Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

I am sincerely sorry for the unacceptable service standards you experienced during your stay. We pride ourselves on giving excellent customer service and need to investigate further the points you have made in your review regarding a rude member of staff. I would appreciate if you could email me personally to allow me to do this on ops@encorenec.co.uk

Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

I stayed one night and i travel most weeks. I have stayed in crowne plaza Birmingham lots of times in the centre but needed to stay here. I was shocked when i entered the room as to how basic it was. The bed was just a double the mattress hard and lumpy the shower was raised tiled and overflowed into the room. Open wardrobe tea coffee no biscuits. For £142 per night this seemed unreasonable. I haven't tried any other nec hotels but this was to me budget chain quality

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for your review, they are always very much appreciated.
Our room tariffs are competitively priced for hotels in the local area within our market sector.
We do have excellent comments regarding the comfort of our beds but appreciate that this is a very personal choice.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Car Parking - the secure Car park was full at 16:00hrs so had to park in the unsecure overflow park, still cost the same as the secure parking. £7.00, this does not feel right, also there is no CCTV covering the unsecure car park area.

Reception was ok, but took some time finding the booking. Rooms basic but clean and well laid out. Excellent shower area but within a small on suite area. Excellent internet access, free of charge, also a decent working area in the room.

Eating area integral to the bar area, evening meal ok, breakfast was served buffet style, even though I had booked B&B I had to pay for breakfast, which I later reclaimed on booking out.

Booking out was a fiasco, took three efforts to get the bill correct, no apology for the errors even after producing the booking confirmation and agreed booking cost and meal plan.

Next time I when visiting the NEC I will stay at the nearby Hilton not this hotel.

Room Tip: Do not get a room road side - noisy
1  Thank ChefJDD

Thank you for your review, all feedback is invaluable to us.
We pride ourselves on giving excellent customer service and I am sorry your stay was not entirely satisfactory but be assured your comments will be investigated and acted upon to improve our standards.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I was a little apprehensive travelling alone and leaving my car there, but at £62 for an overnight stay with up to 8 days' secure parking included, this was a no-brainer - cheaper than the cheapest return taxi fare I'd been quoted. My only beef was with Google for not keeping their map/directions up to date (new roads!), so I had a bit of a problem finding the hotel at first. After that, everything went absolutely according to plan. The service was pleasant and helpful, the room & bathroom were fine and I had an acceptable dinner in the hotel bar-restaurant. I decided against the £10 breakfast the next morning, but the location was so handy for the airport that I walked with my trolley-case to the monorail stop within a few minutes (tip: follow the blue line). When I returned I caught a taxi back from the airport, which cost £7 but that was my preference late on a Saturday night and not connected with the hotel. All I needed to do was get the car park code from reception and I was on my way home. Absolutely no problems at all - I would have no hesitation in staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank mollynew

Thank you so much for sharing your experience regarding our hotel, it is very much appreciated.