“Good value and adequate standard”

Cobden Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #104 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed 2 nights recently for business so was drawn by low price, free parking and 30min walk to the City centre. On arrival staff were excellent and made a nice effort of advising best way to our destination the following morning.
Room was a nice size with a big comfy bed, little too soft for my liking but fine. Room was clean if a little shabby in places and had tea making facilities with a tiny kettle, hairdryer and TV with good selection of channels Fresh, clean towels were provided and the bathroom adequate with a stand in shower and bath.
Hotel was a little noisy with deliveries and noise from other rooms but nothing to distracting. The room was very warm with a window that had limited opening so would be better if a little more ventilated, especially in the summer.
Overall a good stay with good clean rooms and friendly staff. We did not use the bar or breakfast facilities onsite but would use this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Funkyflea
Joanne P, Revenue Manager at Cobden Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for your kind words regarding the hotel.
In regards to your comments, I have passed them on to the management team. All comments will be used in a constructive way to improve the standards at the hotel.

At the Quality hotel we pride ourselves, on the service we deliver to our guests.

I do hope we can welcome you back soon to the hotel

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed for two nights 14and15 June to go to Gardeners' World Live at NEC. We were allocated an excellent room, (room 79), benefited from ample free parking,the food was very good - we are veggie and the menu was fine for us, breakfast was excellent. We greatly enjoyed the atmosphere of the ecstatic cricket supporters we were sharing hotel with. We experienced a slight hiccup with dinner one evening but this was superbly dealt with (our thanks, problems do arise, it is how they are dealt with that matters and they were great),housekeeping looked after the room to a very high standard. Most of all, reception were very professional and superbly helpful with everything (travel enquiries, dinner questions, local information), our heartfelt thanks to them all.we would be confident to recommend to friends and family and would always try Quality Hotel first for a room if in the area

Room Tip: Trust the hotel

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for your kind word regarding the hotel.

I do hope we can welcome you back soon to the hotel

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I arranged a meeting for 15 people with rooms for some of the delegates and dinner the evening before the meeting. On arrival everyone was greeted with a smile and directed to their rooms. `The rooms were newly refurnished, everything was brand new. The bathrooms too were new and everything was spotlessly clean.
2 of the delegates arrived late for dinner so were late ordering but the catering manager ensured that everyone was served together. The choices for the meal were good and the food and service excellent. There were several choices at breakfast, fruit, cereals, croissants and cooked breakfast. The conference room was bright and spacious, with bottled still and sparkling water, mints, fresh fruit, biscuits, coffee, and tea. When the meeting broke for lunch staff replenished everything in the room complete with clean cups and glasses etc. Lunch was fantastic, a good choice with a fresh fruit salad for dessert. We were so pleased with everything we have a dinner organised within the next week and we have booked a meeting for 100 in September. A huge thank you to Jessine for organising the events, thank you too to Joanne and Vanessa for their efficient service when we were booking rooms. Thank you to Tom the catering manager and team for the excellent food and service. Looking forward to seeing you all again soon.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Joanne P, Meeting & Events Manager at Cobden Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive feedback, all of your comments have been passed on to the staff and the management team.
It was a pleasure to host your meeting and dinner at the Quality Hotel Birmingham and we look forward to welcoming you back this month.

Jessine Cespedes

Reviewed June 17, 2013

visited june 2013, room was better than the hotel looked, receptionists were friendly but all the other staff werent too welcoming. Tried to get a meal on the sunday only to be told kitchen was open at 5pm, went down at 5pm only to be told the kitchen wasnt open until 6pm, this didnt suit our plans so we had to do without food, staff need to be better informed, stood at the bar for 10 minutes but no one advised the bar/kitchen was closed even though members of staff were around. need more training in customer service even when quiet.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Joanne P, Revenue Manager at Cobden Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear Guest

Firstly may I thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, all feedback given is used to improve the quality of service and product we offer. We do however have different restaurant opening times over the weekend and I would like to sincerely apologise for information of timings of our facilities not been given to you. Customer service is something we pride ourselves with at the hotel along with regular training sessions for staff.

I do hope that this will not discourage you from using the hotel in future.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

A room for £40 to £50 says it all. Very Very basic hotel rooms and this review doesn't even require the full 200 characters I'm afraid. However the location because its close to Akbars which was the highlight of our whole stay in Birmingham.

Room Tip: None at all, just plain cheap rooms
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tomboy316

Thank you for taking the time to review the Quality Hotel Birmingham.
We appreciate all feed back given, all comments will be used in a constuctive fashion.

I do hope in the future we can welcome you back.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

From check in to check out, I've never regretted booking into a hotel so much.
Stayed for one night prior to attending a cricket match at Edgbaston. On arrival we were given a key and a card, no directions to our room and as their are no signs in reception to guide you we wandered the corridors for 10 minutes before returning to reception to ask. The answer given was to say the least rude.
On to the room. It looked like it was in the middle of being decorated, the door to the room needed a heavy shuff to open due to the carpet in the room. Said carpet, strangely went 2 inches up the walls but just hung away from it. The bathroom looked like something from Colditz.

Sleeping was almost impossible due to the noise. A radio blaring all night etc etc.

On check out, we were not asked how our stay was as I'm sure the staff are fed up of hearing the same complaints.

I booked on lastminute.com, the photos shown are a million miles away from reality. I booked because it had a swimming pool, NOT for price, I would never pay to stay in a room like the one we were given. If I could give a minus score I wouldn't hesitate.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs

Thank you for taking the time to review the Quality Hotel Birmingham.
I was disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction with your stay and would assure you that your experience is not representative of the service we usually provide. Please accept my sincere apologies for the uncharacteristic lapses in our hotel standards.
I would like to thank you, for bringing the issue to my attention and I can assure you that the issue is being looked into and rectified.
I do hope that this incident will not discourage you from using The Quality Hotel Birmingham in the future.
I do hope we can welcome you back to the Quality Hotel Birmingham when I hope the stay will be memorable for all the right reasons.

Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

This place is something special. Ive never regretted staying in a hotel until now.

I checked in and it only got worse from there, the staff are lovely but I've never been to a hotel with a bouncer before. This place is very run down and I'm being kind and it lacks a lot of basic facilities. There are no towel rails - I wanted to dry my swimming shorts after a swim, not possible. Also, the pool was horrible the tiles above the water line were brown and even green in places. The changing rooms had cracked and plaster coming away from the wall. The swimming had a jacuzzi but it wasn't working and was coming away from the floor?! Most of the metal girders were rusting in places.

My room was fine and had obviously been renovated recently but the walk from reception made me feel like i was back in halls again. However, like everything there was something wrong - the air con had a lovely taped sign on them saying please use the heater i was drying my shorts on or the window that was directly on the road.

Saying that there was a lovely argentinian restaurant across the road and a nice garden to sit in and drink if the weather permits.

All in all avoid if possible but a good place to crash if you're on the piss. However, there is a premier in down the road.

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the Quality Hotel Birmingham.

I was disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction with your stay and would assure you that your experience is not representative of the service we usually provide. Please accept my sincere apologies for the uncharacteristic lapses in our hotel maintenance.
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write to us, I am only sorry it was necessary for you to do so and I can assure you that all comments are used in a constructive way to make improvements to the standards of the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Quality Hotel Birmingham when I hope the stay will be memorable for all the right reasons.