“Never again!!”

Ranked #102 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Never again!!”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I went to this hotel for a drink on Saturday after a nice meal at the Garden House with my sister. Firstly I ordered a Corona beer, when it was passed to me, the bottle was warm, I mentioned this to the lady behind the bar, she said the fridge is not working, I said I dont think I can drink a warm beer, she did say I am sorry but did not offer to change it for me, I had to ask for a pint glass with ice cubes and I put my beer in the glass, she watched me but still no offer of an alternative.
15 minutes later, another member of staff was behind the bar, a young girl early to mid twenties, at this time there were five people in the bar. Another member of staff, this time a male said something to her, she shouted F--k off, all five of us looked at each other finding it hard to believe our ears. I did try to complain, I went to the front desk but was told the duty manager was on a break, the receptionist was very understanding and went into the door behind reception to tell the duty manager, I saw the duty manager try to sit right back so that we could not see her. She told the reception to tell me that this would be dealth with!! NOT acceptable, very badly managed hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank 349Irene

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Very dissapointed with Quality Hotel Birmingham , the pictures on their website were no where near the reality. As we entered the hallway that led to the bedroom there was a stale odour. The hallway was dark and dingy and the carpet in the hallway appeared like it had not been cleaned for years.
When we entered the bedroom, while the duvet was clean the valance sheet looked like it had not been washed in years. The bed looked old and tattered. I checked to ensure there were no signs of bed bugs on the bed.
The bathtub had hairs from previous occupents, had to clean the tub before I used it.
THE WHOLE PLACE IS IN NEED OF A REFURBISHMENT.
Would not recommend it to anyone, THEIR 3 STAR RATING SHOULD BE RECONSIDERED

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Leo M

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Shoreham-by-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Stayed there for three nights recently, went to a conference nearby. The lounge area is very nice and we had an evening meal which was reasonably priced and nicely presented. The hotel seems to have a lot of 'add-on' buildings, therefore a lot of bedrooms. There is a nice outside seating area and some gardens you can have a little walk around and sit in as well. It also has a leisure complex with pool, sauna and jacuzzi. I did not go myself but somebody in our group did and said it was good. The bedroom was of good size with the usual facilities. However it was very 'tired' and needed decorating/freshning up. Overall I liked the hotel and would probably stay there again if I was in that area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2012

This hotel is disgusting! Its called the Quality Hotel but quality is seriously lacking!
I visited a few weeks ago with a couple of friends. We weren't able to check in at 2.45pm as the rooms weren't ready even though check in is from 2.00pm The receptionist was seriously rude.
When we finally got into our room, it was nothing like the pictures on the website. Stained sheets, dirt in the room and bathroom, toilet hardly flushed, odd smell. The two worst things though were; the first being that the pool was disgusting, slimy walls and cloudy water, very unhygienic. The second being i woke up the next morning with bites allover me, and my friends. I went to the doctors and she clarified that the bites were from bed bugs, their real name being 'Cimex Lectularius' so disgusting.

We hardly slept as the fire alarms kept going off and so many people in the garden were so noisy drinking and throwing up continuing until 6am

I wanted to complain on leaving but time was too tight for me to get home and i was so angry and tired. So i complained when i returned home, being told that because i waited to complain when i got home, i can't have a refund or anything done to make up for our hideous stay. So as their customer service was disgustingly unsatisfactory by far i am going to take this further, but i thought i should warn people on here first. Don't go here! Their 3 star rating needs serious looking at!!! Despicable!!!!

Room Tip: none of them!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank CEA592
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2012

The hotel was hilariously bad, to the point that we had to ask to be given a different room as the first we were offered had wires exposed from one of the broken lights in the main part of the room, and the bathroom light flickering so much it felt like a disco!

The second room we went to was ok - very tatty but essentially clean and the lights functioned after a first few flickers. Because of the temperature of the room we were forced to have the window open which meant moving a panel of glass (the old style 'double glazing') onto the floor and listening to the sirens, revellers and main road traffic loud and clear all night long. Suffice it to say, I did NOT sleep well for the duration of our stay!

Taking all of that into account though, we were pleasantly surprised by the quality and attitude of the staff. The staff were friendly, helpful, chatty, and fully aware of the state of their surroundings so they could do everything possible to brighten it up. Luckily we had got along well enough with them that when they knocked on our door at 1.30 am expecting their mates to be in the room (remember we had switched rooms originally) we were able to laugh it off.

The other thing was the pizza; really really good pizza at good value. YUM! The took time to be prepared and served, but were so big we got boxes to take our left overs back up to the room to finish the next day. Unfortunately when we got back to our room the next day the boxes had been removed and our dinner thrown in the bin. After a brief discussion we were offered a fresh half and half pizza to be delivered to our room as a replacement. This would have been perfect if it hadn't taken so long to come that by the time we had eaten it wasn't worth going out. Still, the drinks are cheap and the atmosphere was good at the hotel bar so we made the most of it.

We got our stay on a cheap deal so the hotel was worth what we paid and we had a giggle. If we had paid full whack this review would probably have been less positive.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Not the same place as the website showed, a majot con. On arrival we had to wait two hours to be checked in as the room was not cleaned. Once we got into the room we found the apparently new refurbished rooms to be awfull. The bed was broke curtains hanging off and the bedlinnen and towells had dirty marks and stains all over them. We told the reception who said when we went out they would sort the bed out. When we returned the bed was still broke and was told we would just have to move rooms. We were moved into a worse room, where the window was broke and caused major noise and unsafe for the children. No one slept that night which wasnt good as my son had a big competition to attend the next day. Family rooms are located on the front of the hotel and the noise was unbearable. We are also located near a hospital so had all sirens going all night. The restaurant was closed but they placed everyone in the lobby close to the back doors to go out. Meal was ok but passed the kitchen to go to the toilets and had a quick glance in, Kitchen did not look acceptable at all. The back doors kept being left open and due to the bad weather it was very cold, and also this was used for smokers so the stench of cigarette smoke didnt help our dinner. My husband and son tried the pool and returned still in their swim wear due to the shower area and pool being really unclean, which says alot as my husband will put up with most things. They also had to vacate the jaquzzi due to two women of different origin exfoliating in the jaquzzi. Over all a very bad experience, only found one staff member to be helpfull who was the reception manager everyone else might as well have not been there. Will not use again.

Room Tip: just dont use this hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Rachel B
Winchester
Reviewed July 8, 2012

The website photos look great. I couldnt believe it was the same place when we turned up. Just wanted to turn round and go back home. The hotel was tired, shabby and dirty. Our room door handle broken and we struggled to get in. When we did the beds werent made. The kettle was missing too. When we finally got the beds made the sheets were ripped. Electric socket hanging off the wall (Health & Safety concern). The door had been mended after looking like it had previously been kicked in. We were kept up all night with drunks outside singing and shouting. I booked this hotel mainly becasue I liked the idea of having a morning swim in the pool. Guess what.......... It was shut. Seriously.... dont bother.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family