“Excellent all round budget hotel”

Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ranked #29 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We had an early morning flight into Birmingham and were delighted that Stephanie at reception was able to check us in at 8am and we could freshen up and change before leaving for a wedding.
We got an excellent rate using the hotels own web site.

It was an easy walk from the airport to the hotel. We walked back to the airport and used the airtrain to connect to Birmingham train station. Coming back at 9pm, we stopped in the airport and were able to purchase some drinks and snacks at M&S.

Typical Ibis room, small and compact, but everything you need. Very comfortable bed and pillows, slept very well. We were room 111 and I was a bit worried about noise, but once we closed the window, nothing could be heard from outside.

No complaints about breakfast , lots of choice, fresh fruit juice, fruit, cereals, cold meats and cheeses, yogurt, cooked breakfast, toast, muffins, danish, croissants and great coffee.(£7 50 each, booked when booking the room.)
Restaurant staff and receptionist (Stephanie) were very friendly and helpful.

My only niggle about this hotel is the exorbitant charge for WiFi, £4 for an hour, needless to say I did not use it!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
IbisBhxAirport, General Manager at Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Dear Guest, We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind comments and compliments. Feedback such as yours helps us to recognise and reinforce excellent service within the team. We look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis Birmingham Airport.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I stayed at the IBIS as I had an early flight and didn't fancy my chances on the M42 in rush hour! The room is basic, but is clean and they have upgraded the beds and pillows since my last visit, which is a great improvement as they were a bit on the hard side before! The bathroom was clean and there's a decent shower.

There is a bar on the ground floor which is open till late and there's also a buffet style breakfast in the morning, although I didn't try it.

My only complaint (hence the 3 star service rating), if you want an alarm call you have to call reception and they log your request in a book which presumably then relies on someone looking at the book. I requested a call for 6.45am but never received it. Fortunately I had my phone alarm set and this was just a backup, but it could have been a problem if I was relying on the alarm call.

Overall a nice hotel, ideally situated for the airport.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest, Thank you once for your feedback, which is invaluable in our efforts to assess and continually improve upon the quality of our service. I hope we will have a pleasure of welcoming you back to Ibis Birmingham Airport in the near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stopped in this hotel due to an early morning flight the next day, the hotel is situated about 5 minutes walk from the check-in desks so is ideal. The room is what you would expect from a budget hotel, but the bed was comfy and got a comfy nights sleep. You can't hear any airplane noise, even though it is so close to the terminal. I would stay here again when I have another early morning flight.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Simon M

Dear Guest, I am delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and that you found our location to be very convenient and our beds to be of good quality. Thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again in the very near future.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank 622david77

Reviewed June 28, 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed June 27, 2013

This hotel would never survive if not located across the terminal - rude staff, small rooms and very small bathroom.

What I like
- located directly at the airport so you can walk over to the terminal

What I didn't like
- Check-in: I was standing there like an idiot for nearly 15 minutes watching the lady at the bar filling beer glasses for guests and the other lady talking on the phone. They obviously don't take their customers serious when they are not able to check you in in reasonable time.
- Accor is still not able to handle business addresses correctly via accorhotels.com. You always need to write it manually down and hand it to the lady behind the check-in counter that is nearly all Accor hotel cases hardly can read. Why are payment addresses via the website not possible?
- Restaurant has the atmosphere of a train station
- Business center has no printers so you cannot print out boarding passes
- Business center charges on internet access even for flight check
- High charges if you want to use the internet in the room
- The bathroom is so small that you could use the shower while sitting on the toilet and brushing your teeth
- Check-in people try to convince you to eat breakfast and insist that you do not pay the evening before even when you have an early flight. I had to get louder in my requests to get them to comply and accept my payment upfront for the room
- TV in the room is very small

Would I stay there again? NO! I think if you need to stay at the airport use the lower cost Etap hotel next to the Ibis. There you at least know that there is no service and you don't have to pay for non existing service.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank teaki78089
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Airport hotel but little or no noise. Rommel comfortable. Bathroom is a pod but very good -shower particularly so. Breakfast is ok perhaps a little overcooked. We found our evening meal good. All in all recommended as an airport.... NEC hotel.

1  Thank Northumberlandscout
IbisBhxAirport, General Manager at Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was really pleased to hear how convenient you found our location and how comfortable you found our bedrooms. I was also delighted to hear that you enjoyed our restaurant facilities. We appreciate all feedback very much and the team and I look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis Birmingham Airport.