“Pleasantly surprised”

Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ranked #35 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I stayed at this hotel over the weekend as I wanted to visit the craft/cake shows at the NEC. The check in was smooth and we were allocated our room quickly. The room was modern and had everything we needed to enjoy our stay. The staff are extremely hard working and will go out of their way to help you with directions and any problems you might have. The breakfast is served from 4am until 12pm and was ample for the £7-50 a day extra cost, we ate a good breakfast and did not need to eat again until the evening. On the first night we were unsure wether we should eat at the hotel so opted for Frankie and Bennies at the airport which is just 4-5 mins walk away. IOn the second evening we thought lets give the hotel dinner a try and I am glad I did. I ordered belly of pork with a mustard dressing and it was literally falling apart in my mouth delicious! You do not hear any aeroplanes at night as the y seem to stop at about 11.30pm. The hotel is 4-5 mins walk from the airport which has a shuttle train running frequently (every 2 mins) between it and the railway station and NEC. Once you get off the shuttle it is a short walk to get to the shuttle bus which deposits you outside the main NEC doors so vwery convenient. The only negative thing for me with the hotel was I found the mattress quite hard but that is everyones individual preference other people might like a fimer mattress. All in all a good place to stay near the airport and for NEC and railway and we are definitely coming back next year.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Thumby45
IbisBhxAirport, Manager at Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2011

Many thanks for the positive comments, I am happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable. I hope we can welcome you back to the Ibis Birmingham Airport again very soon.

Acting General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,984)

Reviewed November 6, 2011

The hotel itself is very handy for the airport and train station, plus the room was clean but due to the rock hard bed, lack of room service which was much needed due to arriving after a long trip and then finally noting there was no ironing facilities in the room but an 'ironing room' on 3rd floor...i can not issue more then 2 stars. This was for business purposes and the fact i had very poor sleep and couldnt iron my clothes but had to steam them in the bathroom, it was not suitable.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Having had a good experience/stay here on business last year for two nights, I booked myself and my colleague in again this year.

We booked early, but because it is next to the airport and NEC, they're not cheap compared to your normal Ibis rates. But this was fine since we had a good stay last time. Unfortunately, it wasn't the case with my most recent stay.

The room was spacious and I knew what I was expecting space and layout wise. But what I didn't expect was the bathroom to be dirty. The shower was dirty - seems like they forgot that show cubicles have walls and they too need to be cleaned.

We decided the eat in at the restaurant on the first evening since the our last dining experience there was good. The service during our stay was appalling. We sat down at our table after asking for it to be cleaned. After we decided what we wanted to eat we waited patiently for someone to take our order. Several waitresses walked by and pretended not to see us. After waiting for about 15 minutes, I went up to the bar and ordered - explaining to them we waited for a while to get table service, I was not offered an apology.

Unlike last year, while the restaurant was busy, they had plenty of staff milling around this time (but they had their horse shields on as they ignored me and my colleague at the table). We got more service last year from the one lad waiting tables!

Most of the staff this year hid behind the bar. Ridiculous!

We had the starter sharers, which was fine. Mains were served. Mine was fine, my colleague got a cold plate of food. No apologies, just an offer of a hot one (nice considering you'd expect a pie to be hot). They charged us for the pie despite my having to eat my main by myself as we waited for the new hot pie to be served.

Seems like they have downgraded breakfast, yet the prices remain the same. The breakfast was crap to say the least; now offering mostly cold food, juices beans, sausages and bacon.

For the second evening we went into town for a meal - visited Akbars again, it was divine as always. I will review it too!

Second stay here was nothing like the first, but this doesn't mean I wouldn't give it a second chance and stay here again to give it the benefit of the doubt.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Zeva2010

I am so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience staying with us at Ibis Birmingham Airport this time. I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all the comments very seriously. But I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 6, 2011

Comfortable, clean and quite room with excellent shower let down by slow restaurant & bar service. Very convenient for overnight stay to catch an early flight from the airport. Would use again for flights in and out of the airport.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MonteP
IbisBhxAirport, Manager at Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2011

Many thanks for the review. We appreciate all feedback very much and we look forward to welcoming you back to Ibis Birmingham Airport.

Reviewed November 3, 2011

We booked the Ibis at Birmingham Airport for an overnight stay prior to a visit to the NEC. Our room was on the 3rd floor overlooking the airport. The room was clean and simply furnished and equipped with TV, kettle, tea and coffee etc. WC/Shower room was compact but more than adequate. Access to Birmingham city centre is very easy using the airport shuttle train (first floor of the terminal) to Birmingham International station then on to Birmingham New Street. There were no overnight flights so our sleep wasn't disturbed although the room was a little hot. We didn't have breakfast preferring to eat elsewhere. Check-in/out was fast, efficient and friendly. Car parking was in the NCP opposite. We were given a voucher at reception and this gave a discount on the daily rate. We paid £13.80 for 24 hours. Don't use the short-term car park behind the hotel - its £1 for 10 minutes!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank MightyMrs

Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us at Ibis Birmingham Airport and I hope to see you again in the near future.

A TripAdvisor Member
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2011

As we were attending the cruise show, we decided to stay overnight close to the NEC so we didn't have to leave home early in the morning. All we were looking for was a clean and comfortable room to sleep in. When we got to our room we were pleasantly surprised, considering the amount we paid. The size was ample for our needs, and was actually a better size than some 4* hotels we have stayed in. The bed was firm and the pillow lacking so I had to fold the pillow in half to get comfortable, saying that I had an excellent nights sleep. Sadly the a/c did not work in our room, so we had to open the window, as the hotel is located on the airport site, there was some aircraft noise, but we didn't mind that. The breakfast was another pleasant surprise with plenty of options and the food was hot. Overall I was impressed by my stay and if needs be would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your comments, I am happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable. I hope we can welcome you back to the Ibis Birmingham Airport again very soon.

Reviewed November 1, 2011

Stayed here overnight as flight from France was too late to connect to Dublin flight. Did not expect much. Plan was for myself and partner to go for a curry, heard that Birmingham curries are famous! Partner was not feeling well so we decided to have room service instead. Ordered by phone and was told that they would call back when it was ready, I would have to collect it myself. Thought this was a bit strange, until I looked at the prices, lowest I had ever seen for a hotel! If this is how they keep their prices down, long may it continue.
Waited forty minutes for a call from room service. Called them back and they apologised for the delay, but would bring it up themselves. Great service, pretty good food as well.
Room very comfortable, bed quite hard, but really comfortable.
We had a problem with heating, would not switch on, guy who delivered food could not fix it, but was back in 2 minutes with a fan heater, now that's great service!
Location great as well, about 100 metres from terminal building, despite airport proximity, windows kept out all noice.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

I am so glad that you had an enjoyable time during your stay at Ibis Birmingham Airport. I hope we can welcome you back to the property in the near future.

Acting General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Travelodge Birmingham Airport
Travelodge Birmingham Airport
#17 of 118 in Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC

Been to Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC? Share your experiences!