The Beeches
Excellent 5/5
The Edgbaston(Birmingham)
Great 4.5/5
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscadbury worldorthopaedic hospitaltrouser presstwo flights of stairssingle occupancynight porterconference venueminute walk from the hotelsmall gymroom was very clean and comfortabletea and coffee making facilitieshotel is situatedfollowing morningup to datebreakfast was excellentvisit birminghamself service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I have stayed on and off at the Beeches. Never again, this quaint old house deludes itself that it is a quality location.Wrong. Tiny rooms, amateur staff, poky rooms, minute showers and an appallingly low quality breakfast means it is not worth staying there.
Year after year the cut backs have swinger quality. My most recent stay is now my last and recommendation…look anywhere but The Beeches

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Olly6
DebraJonesBeeches, General Manager at The Beeches, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear Olly6
Thank you for writing a review. I am sorry that you feel we have disappointed over the years and that you feel the standard has gone down. I would like to discuss these reasons with you and would hope you would give me the opportunity to put things right. I have your details, please may I call you?
Debra

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Great value hotel.
Very comfortable rooms.
Food is good but very limited menu - choice of only 5 or 6 main course items - with one of these veggie - and usually one of these is not available!
Overall very good though with very helpful courteous staff.
Would recommend.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
DebraJonesBeeches, General Manager at The Beeches, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear wilkeng.
Thank you for writing a review. I am glad you have found us to be good value for money with comfortable rooms and courteous staff. I appreciate your concerns over the limited menu and we will look into this to see if we can change the menu around.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I have just returned from a planned two night stay at this hotel though I left after only one night.

In the UK and Europe I would normally stay in budget hotels like Holiday Inn Express or IBIS, so my standards are not particularly high. I expect a reasonably clean and comfortable bed and a clean room and bathroom. On the positive side the Hotel was well situated in Bournville, a very nice part of Birmingham. that is the only really nice thing I can think of.

We arrived a little before our scheduled check in time of 2pm, and were happy to wait in the lounge until a room was ready. We were less happy about the smell of rising damp which fills all the ground floor of this hotel and the dirty chairs in the lounge

We were given our key and proceeded to the top floor as directed, carrying our luggage up three flight of narrow stairs and through numerous fire-doors. There is no lift! It didn't look as though the place hadn't been renovated since the sixties. Our room was just like a student room or bed sit from the sixties or seventies.

When we arrived at the room, the room door was wedged open and we could see that the sheets and towels were in the middle of the floor and that the cleaner hadn't even started preparing / cleaning the room. The cleaner was not apologetic and we trooped back down to reception. We then left the hotel for a while to let them finish cleaning the room.

The room was REALLY tatty, much more so than any hotel has the right to be in this day and age. The carpet looked very old and dirty, and we certainly wouldn't touch the carpet with bare feet. The room generally felt so grimy we didn't feel like touching anything The chairs were also badly stained, as was the duvet cover. The mattress was really old and well overdue for replacing. The springs were sticking out and into our ribs throughout the night.

The bathroom, on the other hand, was more recently renovated, though even here there was an awful smell of dirty drains in the bathroom (this smell had gone by morning). Once in bed, there was lots of noise from the plumbing as well as from other guests, not because of bad guest behaviour, just because there was absolutely no sound insulation. I could hear the sound of snoring from a neighbour all night.

I got very little sleep and was very pleased to get out. I told reception that we would be leaving a day early and we then had breakfast elsewhere. We had no confidence in the kitchen;s state of repair or cleanliness. We were pleased to see though that the hotel did not charge for the second night. At least something positive!

On arriving home though, true to form, there was an email saying they had made a mistake and had now charged my credit card for the second night as well.

This really an awful hotel and we cannot understand how anyone could recommend it to others. We were taken in by other ridiculously positive and misleading reviews. The owners of this hotel need to arrange a major capital injection to get it up to current day standards, or else sell to a company which can. In the meantime it should be avoided!

Room Tip: Don't use the hotel
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
DebraJonesBeeches, General Manager at The Beeches, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Dear chrYork.
Thank you for your review. I am truly sorry you felt this way about our hotel. As you said, we do have many very positive reviews from guests who are happy with our product and the price which reflects that.
I would have loved to be given the opportunity to address and correct some of your issues at the time. We do have your contact details and I would love to discuss this with you if you are happy for me to do so?

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Stayed at The Beeches while visiting friends in Birmingham for 2 nights, super quick check-in with friendly staff, we had a meal on the 2nd night - WOW, Chicken Burritos from the specials board and Fish & Chips, both were amazingly tasty and fantastically presented, bar/waiting staff are an asset to the Hotel, very polite, knowledgable and friendly. Breakfast was brilliant both mornings, far to much choice and excellent 'made to order' cooked food - compliments to the chef's. Our Bedroom was across the beautiful lawns, it was clean, well presented and had everything we needed, the housekeeping ladies were very polite both morning. Wi-Fi was free to guests which was great for out Tablets.
wouldn't hesitate using the hotel again due to the brilliant location, atmosphere amongst the staff and overall experience

Room Tip: make sure you have have a meal while staying!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carl O
DebraJonesBeeches, General Manager at The Beeches, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Carl O. Wow!! What can I say except thank you so much for your fantastic review.
It looks like we ticked all the boxes for you throughout your stay. All the staff and myself are thrilled and say a huge thank you to you.
Regards

Reviewed December 23, 2013

I stayed at the Beeches for 1 night at the end of November and unfortunately was not impressed with the hygiee in the place. In short, I was allocated a room which was very very warm when I walked into it. The room was reminiscent of a 1990's student room but I thought this was ok. When I went into the bathrom, there was a 'hair' in the sink, hairs on teh floor around the and dust & dirt behind the bathroom door. The bathroom bin had not been emptied and the carpeted floor in the room was also dirty.

I went to complain and was allocated a different room - the staff member at the desk was pleasant enough but still quite automated in her response. I was then given a different room and all of my items were nicely transferred over while I was out.

The second room was a lot better BUT there was a long blonde hair on my bed and the mini-desk culd have been cleaner.

I normally stay in 4* or 5* places but am equally happy as long as a relatievly basic hotel is very clean. The standards here were unfortunately not great.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Rosh99
DebraJonesBeeches, General Manager at The Beeches, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear Rosh99. Thank you for your response. I quite agree cleanliness is of course paramount and I wholeheartedly apologise to you for the quality you found during your stay. There are no excuses, but I will find out how we have fallen down and take the necessary steps to prevent this for the future. I am pleased the transition of bedrooms was smooth and I hope you were not disrupted too much. Thanks again.
Kind Regards. Debra Jones