“rip off” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #90 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Bath, United Kingdom
“rip off”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

I booked a single room on-line. Very friendly. On arrival I was directed to a broom cupboard on the top floor which I later found out from a friendly waiter was usually used by staff, It was tiny to start with but half the space was unusable as the wardrobe cut off access to it. The room smelled musty but there was a very loud kitchen extractor fan immediately outside the window so it was impossible to take advantage of the quiet location by opening the window for fresh air. Thankfully the fan was turned off at 10:30 as I was able to open a window and breathe at last, but only by kneeling up on the bed due to restricted floor space. I complained but was told the hotel was full. I was offered a room for the following night in an annexe but declined as I was working and did not have the time and energy to effect the transfer on day 2. For this I was charged £124. The evening meal and service in the restaurant were great however

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Peter K
DebraJonesBeeches, General Manager at The Beeches, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Peter K.
Thank you for writing your review.
I am so pleased that during your stay your felt your meals and the service from the restaurant staff was great and I have passed those comments directly back to the team.
I understand upon check-in you advised us of a medical issue that we were unable to accommodate that night due to being full, but did offer to move rooms for your second night when we had availability.
Unfortunately, we do have some smaller, last let rooms, which I can only apologise for that you were allocated. I have checked the room and agreed it was stuffy. We are now airing this room to avoid a repetition in the future. I'm sorry you felt you were unable to move rooms, although we would gladly have moved all of your belongings for you.
Should you need to stay in the area again, please do not hesitate to contact me direct and I will personally handle your reservation and room allocation to ensure you see the best of who we are and what we can do.
Debra Jones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed at the Beeches for 5 nights as a single guest in a small double room. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The room was spacious and had a balcony, which overlooked the view at the back. I took a special offer - stay 4 nights and get 1 night free - which was great value. I highly commend the housekeeping staff because they were genuinely nice, warm people, particularly Tracey (who was new there).

The Beeches is close to a lovely park. It is about 5-10 minutes walk to the entrance of Cadbury World, 10-15 minutes walk to Bournville Train Station, and 20 minutes walk to Sainsbury.

My only quibble: the walls were thin. Occasionally I heard muffled sounds from next door or footsteps above. This occurred mainly on my first night, a Saturday, which was a busy night. Other than this, I had a wonderful stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Fiona_HYC
DebraJonesBeeches, General Manager at The Beeches, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Fiona_HYC.
Thank you so much for your truly wonderful review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and found the Beeches to be a great place to stay. I have passed your comments lovely onto Housekeeping also
Swansea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

When arriving in the dark it was not easy to find the main entrance, but I did in the end.

Although it has to be said the car park was inclusive and had adequate space

The building has been extended over the years, in particualr some 1960/70s flat roofed extensions which have sadly detracted from its original design which would have been in fitting with the area, Bournville- That great social experiment of the village within a city by the enlightened Cadburys.

Inside I was greeted by a welcoming receptionist who explained to me that dinner was included in the price the business had paid.

I had a dinner which was okay, (chicken a bit rubbery, but sauce was nice) but not excellent.

Directions were given to me to find my room and did involve going through a rabbit warren of corridors, doors and stairs. (Presumably through the somewhat hotchpotched building that I could see). I am a fit active man in my 30s, and carrying a large bag was something of a fiddle I would imagine for anyone with mobility problems it would be very difficult. If I got there again I will take my wheeled suitcase that I normally use for flights and would suggest other vistiors do the same.

Cooked breakfast did not look appealing, beans were encrusted, (been left to long), bacon was dry on one side, with fluid having collected in the larger side of the rasher. I didn't eat it, in fairness a member of staff did ask me about this at lunchtime.

Conference room was perfectly adequate.

It just about merits 3 stars- the reason I gave it three marks rather than two was that someone did at least take the time to ask me about the breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Golfertripper
DebraJonesBeeches, General Manager at The Beeches, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Golfertripper
Thank you for your review. I am very pleased to hear you were well looked after during your stay and that you found the conference facilities good. I have discussed all your comments regarding food with the chef and we are dealing with those issues. Thank you for bringing them to my attention.
Regards
Middlesbrough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

£90 for two nights with breakfast. Clean, tidy, staff better than excellent. Breakfast adequate.
Only a couple of observations. Slamming doors, no teaspoon for room brewing setup, annexes near to a main road and would therefore benefit from double glazing to cut out traffic noise.
En suite facilities very good, although the toilet paper could do with being more substantial.
Would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear Howard P
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. 5 stars is what we strive to achieve and so it is fantastic that we have for you.
Apologies for the missing teaspoon and we have addressed the slamming doors.
We look forward to welcoming you again
Regards
Birmingham, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of days (one night) for a training session. It wasn't anything special, but it was very acceptable for this sort of thing. The training room was light, airy and spacious. The buffet lunch was tasfy with plenty of salad and non-sandwich items. The bar and dinner was pub style rather than restaurant standard, but there was nothing that would disappoint. The room was clean, tidy and well equipped. My colleagues mentioned paper thin walls, but I had no such problems and slept well. Excellent shower. The gym was well equipped, clean and tidy. Breakfast was good.

There's plenty of parking, efficient staff too. I'd recommend it for work, but possibly not as a classic hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DebraJonesBeeches, General Manager at The Beeches, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear stirrup_pump
Thank you so much for your review. I am pleased the food, cleanliness, free parking and staff all met with good expectations. A good night's sleep is important too especially if on a course the following day.
We look forward to welcoming you again
Teynham, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

stayed for one night and whilst there wasn't anything hugely wrong there wasn't much to sign the praises for either. The rooms are basic and the entire venue looks a bit tired.

Poor (in fact no) facilities fro young children or babies (but it is a conf centre normally). The food was ok and the staff very pleasant and helpful.

Great location for Cadbury world though as it is a short walk away (hence why we stayed here).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DebraJonesBeeches, General Manager at The Beeches, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Lloyd B
Thank you for writing a review about the Beeches. I am glad you found the staff to be pleasant and helpful and enjoyed the food. We will endeavour in time to refurbish all areas of the building, but those that aren't as of yet, are priced accordingly and offer excellent value for money
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed for 1 night after a business trip and before a trip to Cadbury World. Very friendly staff. The room was large and had all we needed. Breakfast was brilliant, some lovely specials - we had smoked haddock topped with a poached egg, plus all the usual cereals, yogurts, fruit etc. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DebraJonesBeeches, General Manager at The Beeches, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear jaxval
Thank you so much for your lovely review. Your comments have been passed to all departments. We would love to see you again