“Great location”

Staycity Aparthotels Arcadian Centre
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Spent three nights here . Fantastic location in China Town within crawling distance of various bars and restaurants. Flat was generally clean, spacious and very comfortable, and staff were friendly and helpful. Our stay included a Saturday night which means the surrounding area can be very noisy but our flat was at the back looking onto a municipal car park- although not a fantastic view we were less disturbed by the nightlife. A few relatively minor gripes, there was a distinct lack of hooks/coat hangers in our flat meaning you either left your clothes strewn around or had to pack or hang them up. We found the hot water a bit temperamental and difficult to control. We did some cooking and could have done with a colander. However overall we thought it was great place to stay and would definitely consider staying again if we return to Birmingham.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back not looking onto the courtyard may be quieter at weekends although back onto a...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SophieKettle

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Overall was an enjoyable stay.

Good things were the considerable size of the bathroom, the living area and kitchen were modern/lovely to be in; they provided tea and coffee which was a nice gesture.
The facilities they provide were really good although we didn't use them (washing machine and dryer etc) and the balcony area was pleasant.
The staff were polite and kept our key while we were at Alton Towers for the day.
Considering we booked late, the apartment was lovely overall.
Lastly, the smoking facilities were a massive positive for my partner - not many places offer this.

However there are a few things which we think should be looked over and reviewed by the team.

Check in was a bit long - a 30 minute check in is a bit silly when it was so empty.
£200 deposit may catch people off guard. Bit much.
Disappointed with 2 single beds to make a double, paying at least £100 a night is not what I expect to find.
We could not fully open the wardrobe door and ended up having our suitcases at the foot of the bed.
We found our curtain rail was damaged and there was a burn mark/dent in the door? We were worried were going to be charged for it although it wasn't us? If they retain £200, surely they should be used to FIX DAMAGES?
Lastly, charging people £25 for not taking rubbish out & £25 for not washing dishes - why do you have maids/cleaners? Either get them to do their job or get rid of them.

Overall the apartment was nice we enjoyed it and would stay here again - fairly modern, especially the kitchen.
The negatives are just small things the apartments needs to reconsider and would definitely be rated 4 or 5 star to me!

Room Tip: Make sure you have £200 spare.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nicoleshari93
Staycity_Birmingham, General Manager at Staycity Aparthotels Arcadian Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, I am pleased to see that overall your stay was a good one, but have felt the need to highlight some minor issues.
I am somewhat confused by your comment regarding check in, the process does not take 30 minutes even though we were actually fully occupied when you arrived, apologies if you did have to wait a few minutes.
Regarding the £200 security deposit, we advertise this freely on all websites, so guests are made aware of the requirement. Generally, it is not retained for minor maintenance issues, unless damage is caused purposefully. Should you have made us aware of the maintenance issues, we would have been happy to rectify them.
Many hotels and serviced apartments, operate a zip and link system for the beds, this offers fantastic flexibility for our guests, meaning we can offer either a twin or double in every apartment, and is not unusual.
As our apartments are self catering, we ask that guest's leave them in an acceptable state, including the washing of dishes and removing the rubbish. This enables us to keep our rates very competitive, and similar to what hotels charge, so you will be getting a lot more for your money.
I am pleased to see that you were overall happy with your stay, and we look forward to welcoming you back, as you said in your review the negatives are 'small things'

Regards

Reviewed April 25, 2013

I would recommend these appartments, either for short or long stay. They were very clean, spacious and quite modern. It makes a change because there can be some really awful ones. The only negative thing was the £200 deposit which we had to pay upon arrival. This was paid straight back on departure. You are literally a 5 minute walk from the town centre, it was just a good experience. The staff were very helpful and friendly which goes a long way in my book.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I was very lucky to have have found this little gem. For the past two years I have stayed in very single hotel/apartment complex in the whole Birmingham. However sadly with many of them just always had something missing or small faults. However when I came across StayCity I thought oh my god I have finally find a place that I could not fault it has everything you would expect and more. Location is fantastic the staff are awesome N more important it's great value for money. I can promise you will not be disappointed.

Kind Regards
Mr Griffin
Channel 4

• Stayed: April 2013
Staycity_Birmingham, General Manager at Staycity Aparthotels Arcadian Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Dear Mr Griffin

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, following your recent stays with us. I am thrilled that you are enjoying your time with us, especially after trying out our competition. We look forward to welcoming you back next week!

Kind Regards

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed here on a business trip for a few days. Despite being in the middle of a busy restaurant/pub area it was very quiet at night. The apartment itself was very clean, spacious and had everything we needed. The staff were very helpful. I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Me and two friends stayed at Staycity two nights when attending a conference in Birmingham. It was excellant!!!! The staff were helpful. The rooms were furnished to a high standard, the kitchen was brilliant; the oven and conveniently sized fridge we used throughout out stay. The sofa bed i expected to be uncomfortable however that exceeded my expectations with a pull out double bed which was comfy. The balcony was also great a added bonus. The location was a little noisy but we expected that with a prime location of bars and clubs but we did request a room at the back of the building which we did where the noise was bareli noticable. The place is only 5 min walk from the station and the tesco nearby is very convenient for all your food.
Thankyou for a brilliant stay. Will definiteli be staying at other locations of Staycity.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Not sure how I feel about these apartments. Got it online with a good discount - had I paid full price I would have felt ripped off. Front reception staff - great, very helpful and friendly. To get to the rooms, you need to walk up stairs to the lift, not the end of the world but with 2 small children and 4 very heavy suitcases (about 25kg each) and arriving late at night, it was a little inconvenient. Room itself was 2 bedroom apartment on 7th floor. Rooms were large, beds were comfortable. Did not use the kitchen but it seemed to have everything you would need. Was clean, bathroom was good size. My big issue, washing machine and dryer were combined. This usually means at least 3hrs per wash and dry and you cant get much in if its in the cooler months when everything is bigger and heavier. Also not one to leave appliances on when out, this was a problem for me. (I booked an apartment mainly to wash clothes in the middle of a two week road trip). Had I been staying here for a week, whilst annoying I would have been able to wash every day so this might not have been an issue, but still very time consuming. Another downfall, our bedroom doors would not stay open (having two small mischievous children they had to be open). We had to put suitcases in the front of them to keep them open (shoes, backpacks would slide and the door would close). Now again, not the end of the world, but staying somewhere where you feel like it is on an angle and going to collapse at any moment isn't also the best fun either! Location - great. Again, not sure how I feel about these apartments, they have good and bad points. I guess if you asked me if I would recommend them to family or friends to stay in, I would have to say no. But if you need somewhere with alot of space and are on a budget, this would probably make a good option.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Staycity_Birmingham, General Manager at Staycity Aparthotels Arcadian Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, and the subsequent constructive criticism.
The doors in the apartments, have self closers on them as they are fire doors. Therefore, they are required to stay shut as per fire regulations. I am sorry that was an inconvenience to you, but they are installed for the safety of our guests.
I am sorry to hear that you did not find the washer dryer suitable, as it appears to be the main reason for booking one of our apartments. We have many families that stay with us, that find the apartments very well equipped. We also offer the facility for guests to have clothes dry cleaned/washed of site, so this would have helped your situation.
It is a shame you gave lower scores in your review, because you were not happy with the doors or washing facilities, and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations because of these issues.

Thank you once again for taking the time to post your comments.

Regards