“Too slow”

Deolali Bar and Restaurant
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Moseley and Kings Heath
Description: Deolali location in the former Architectural Antiques building next to The Old Bull's Head in Moseley, Birmingham, is a daring choice for an Indian restaurant. And as TV's Del Boy says, he who dares wins. A front champagne bar leads to the restaurant itself, set on several levels. The space's quirky character is brought out further with exposed timbers and brickwork and chunky wood tables. Choice of dishes can be overwhelming - there are three pages of appetizers and starters alone. All the usual favourites are here - kormas, jalfrezis, dopiazas, chicken tikka masala, alongside a handful of house specials such as tandoori trout, ghustabba (lean lamb meatballs in a sweet and spicy tomato sauce), and green masala salmon. Good quality ingredients.
Reviewed January 15, 2014

In pursuit of the perfect curry we decided to go to what we considered a very reliable restaurant where we have dined many times and had really good service in a very nice atmosphere. I do not know what was wrong on the night we went but 2 hours to get our food !!! The food was lovely as always but who cares after 2 hours ? It was so frustrating nothing seemed to be coming out of the kitchen but there was no explanation in fact it was as if the waiting staff were oblivious.

2  Thank gfs12_12

Reviewed January 15, 2014

We booked and arrived at nine o'clock on a busy Saturday evening.
We were asked to wait in the bar where we ordered drinks and were seated at our table within ten minutes and we ordered some poppadoms. These arrived in ten minutes and we ordered our mains as we didn't want any starters. Time passes. At ten thirty, one and a half hours after arriving I asked where our food was. Shortly after a waiter appeared with our plates and with a flourish polished and then placed them in front of us. They were colder than room temperature and we asked if they could be replaced with hot ones. They were and shortly after our food arrived. It was luke warm. We asked if it could be heated up and it was taken away and returned within five minutes. It was slightly warmer, in freezing cold bowls, but, either by confusion of "heated up" or due to "chefs revenge" the dansak had gone a strange red colour and both meals tasted so strongly of chili they were almost inedible. We struggled on with liberal amounts of mint sauce but it was not a pleasant experience. When our plates were collected we said how poor the food was and that combined with the long wait spoilt the night. The bill appeared, with a twenty five percent discount but to add insult to injury it included items we hadn't had.
Deolali used to be a good restaurant in a very crowded market in Moseley. Not sure what has gone wrong. This truly deserved no stars but the manager, quite rightly, waived the bill so they get one.

3  Thank ChrisGUK
Reviewed December 23, 2013

It's a fabulous place, fantastic environment, brilliant service, great Vanue for parties specially for Christmas Dinner.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

I've been here numerous times and have always received a warm welcome. Staff could not be more helpful and the freshly prepared food is unique.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I visited Deolali at the weekend

The staff are very unfriendly and unhelpful. I ordered a chicken balti and when the meal arrived they brought me Lamb curry I told the waiter that I did not order this and he replied "sorry you did order this and you will have to have it". I was horrified and called the waiter over and informed him that I did not order the meal and refused to eat it.

The waiter returned and apologised saying that I was right as he checked the order and I had ordered a chicken balti. My meal then arrived in 30 seconds. What did they give me? It certainly was not chicken balti. The staff should be more customer friendly. Meal was not up to standard.