“Sub standard apartment, matches attitude of owner”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Burne Jones House

Burne Jones House
UK
“Sub standard apartment, matches attitude of owner”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2010

Positive: Location
Negative: Nothing like the clean, fresh, bright apartment shown in the photos. Do not be duped. Dark, dated decor. Internet did not work (as previous reviews have commented), TV in bedroom did not have an aerial connection. Bathroom was disgraceful. One bulb, dirty mouldy bath/shower. Plumbing made long whining, clanging noise everytime toilet was flushed. Kept awake all night. Response of owner "we do have lots of problems as its a grade 2 listed building"
Save your money go elsewhere

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2009

We had a studio apartment at City Quarters at Burne Jones House for a one night stopover in Birmingham. Apartment was very nice - large, clean, well furnished and good value. Location was excellent for the city centre and for access to the New Street railway station. The apartments do not have reception staff, but the code entry system to get keys worked fine. We arrived early before the room was ready and we were able to leave suitcases with the caretaker. All in all, a nice overnight stay in Brum.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Athens, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2009

I like the concept here, but they have a lot to do to improve on it. I'm not the target audience, either, but that doesn't mean they can't take some of my criticisms. The rooms themselves are quite nice and clean. The kitchens are well appointed. The immediate area is quite nice with plenty of shops. Once you get out of the immediate area gets pretty dodgy, however. The combo washer/dryer isn't the best. That's not a reason to go elsewhere by any means, just something of which to be conscious if you plan to do a lot of laundry during your stay.
Since it is an urban setting I'll assume most people won't be arriving by car but know that this is just not an option if it is part of your plans. LMM claims they provide a car park for a small fee but it is a bit of a walk to the Burne Jones House and, more importantly, it is in a pretty poor area. Every time we returned to the car during our stay I breathed out a sigh of relief when I saw the car was A)still where we left it and B)undamaged. The first night we parked it we literally saw a guy getting sick across the street as we parked! Not exactly a "Welcome to Birmingham" moment. Again, Birmingham is a pretty urban setting but I'm just trying to inform folks before they're disappointed upon arrival. The other car issue is that the building is impossible to find when driving. There is only one route to Bennetts Hill and I still can't figure out how to get there via car. Bottom line-take the train when arriving.
The other big issue is the check in procedure. I was not informed of this when making arrangements but there is no one working reception. Rather, you are supposed to get an email a few days before you arrive that gives you an access code to the building and the key box. This is fine if you know this ahead of time and are checking email daily, but we were traveling beforehand and I was not checking email. Luckily, someone let us into the building and opened the keybox for us. I was quite thankful for the good fortune but it also made me wary of the security in the building that anyone staying there could open the keybox for anyone else. I know of at least one other person that had the same issue upon arrival. I checked my email later on and found that I never did receive an email anyway.
Again, the room itself was fine and despite it being a pretty action packed area I wasn't bothered too much by the street noise or other people staying there. I got the impression that the Burne Jones House opened not too long ago and still has some management issues to work out. It's a good place to go and party, but a few things to remember:
-don't bring a car
-make sure you get your email ahead of time to let you in a get your key
-don't plan on doing much wash (actually the dryer was the issue)

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2009

I originally wanted to book a room at this apartment through booking.com, but the room me and my partner wanted to stay in was sold out, so instead we booked a room at the city quarters shaftesbury apartment in which this apartment and Burne jones house are under the same company. A few days before we were due to check in, the company rang me and said that the shaftesbury building was having maintanance going on through the weekend and asked if we were willing to move our stay to burne jones apartment and to say thankyou they are giving us a complimentary upgrade to a one bedroom apartment! The staff was sooo nice in giving us that and i didnt hesitate in accepting the change as it was even better to be staying in the apartment i originally wanted to stay and in an even better room!

Before i read some reviews on this apartment and i noticed that many people were having problems with the self check in procedure, so i was quite worried if that was to happen to me. However, everything went smoothly! i got an email from the company giving me my pin code, went to the front door of the building and entered it and there was no problems, and then went to the safe and entered the pin again, and it opened with my name and room keys just like the company said should happen! I couldn't believe how quick and easy it was!

Got into the room, and wow it was really nice! very modern with leather sofas, glass dinner tables and flat screen tv. it had everything that i needed! the kitchen was fully equipment with cutlery's, plates, pans, fridge, washing machine, dishwasher, wine glasses and even washing up liquid! went to the bathroom, there were toilet rolls, hand towels and big towels for two! went into the bedroom- sooo spacious, comfy beds and the whole apartment was just clean! Didn't even have to pay extra to watch the tv which had lots of channels to choose from! The bed was soo comfy that the night went by sooo quick! I had such a good sleep! I read in the reviews that people had trouble with the noise at night because it's right in front of a bar/restaurant, but even on a weekend i didn't have no trouble with the noise at all!! We were also able to have a late checkout up to midday free of charge!

I would deffinitely recommentd this apartment to anyone! The company staff are really nice and helpful, the room is just excellent, easy check in and checkout, room fully equiped and just soo relaxing and comfortable to stay in, you wouldn't want to stay for just one night!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!...maybe could have been in a location with nicer views but not bothered really!
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)