“Great, almost Michelin standard.”
Review of Edmunds

Edmunds
Reserve with OpenTable
Edmunds is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 2,220 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ladywood
Description: The Good Food Guide Midlands Restaurant of the Year for 2012, Edmunds Restaurant is set in stylish Brindleyplace - Birmingham city centre's cultural hub. Surrounded by art galleries, theatres, evening venues & plenty of stylish bars, Edmunds offers a dining experience like no other in the area.Meticulously run Head Chef Didier Philipot and his dedicated team, Edmunds provides a relaxed and refreshing approach to fine dining. The 50-seat restaurant offers a secluded escape from the daily rush or an evening's indulgence with friends, family, loved ones or colleagues. Didier been inspired by classical French methods and served simply, but effectively, the dishes at Edmunds push the boundaries each day to deliver a true dining experience for every customer, using some of the Midlands finest seasonal ingredients.
England
“Great, almost Michelin standard.”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

This was our first visit to Edmund's and my group of 4 was very impressed. It's a small dining room that's decorated in a traditional, high end manner. Leather chairs, heavy bound menus. It is maybe a little dated but we get what it's going for.

2 courses was £40, 3 for £45 from the A la carte. There were 4-5 options for each course with a nice range of options. I was particularly impressed by the scallop starter with tomato macaron and the beef main course with delicious port jus.

We actually all went for the souffle dessert which I thought was exceptional. Beaten only by the souffle I had at the 3 star Alain Ducasse in London.

One tiny mark is that the Chip and PIN machine was terribly slow and resulted in an awkward finish. They're also not currently accepting Amex which was a shame as I saw another table attempt to pay with Amex only to be told they could not.

2 Thank Richard H

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“not quite suitable for a michelin starred but getting there”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

After booking Edmunds for a birthday. I mentioned in the special notes about my food allergy( which is quite severe) and that it was one of our guest's birthday.

When we arrived, we reiterated to the waiter of the food allergy. When the main course came, I tasted my meal and soon discovered that it had the very food present in it that I specifically told them that I was allergic to (even the waiter mentioned that there was none of that specific food present in my meal). I had to to resort to taking my allergy tablets to reduce the swelling of my tongue! The restaurant also forgot that the point of the dinner was for a birthday and didn't even have any celebratory aspect such as a birthday candle in my friend's dessert etc.

The service was a little slow; we finished our mains and waited for about 20 minutes before our dishes were removed from the table. Also, as we did not have a starter, the waiters forgot to remove the starter cutlery at the beginning (they normally do in even most restaurants michelin or not). They also brought out another table's desserts to us and had to take it off us.

Edmunds, if they are aiming for a michelin star they need to learn to cater better for their clientele; the very fact that they did not serve cocktails or couldn't make up a pina colada or an a fruity martini was unusual for a supposed fine dining establishment.

Overall, the meal was average. The fillet of beef was chewy and dry. Next time will stick to turners or simpsons.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank angel k
“Splashing out.....”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We tend not to eat in this style of restaurant often as, with age ,I have come to prefer a more informal style of dining, but every now and then we feel like splashing out a bit. The restaurant is stylish and comfortable with quality furnishings and table settings - I particularly liked the glasses ! The menu was interesting and there was a separate small vegetarian menu. My husband ordered from the Vegetarian menu and throughout the evening , such as with the amuse bouche and choice of bread , this was carefully remembered (as it should be, but I noted from a previous review that it had not been )
Every dish we had was delicious and beautifully presented .The service throughout the evening was very professional but friendly. We had a lovely evening. The highlight was the Toffee soufflé with bitter chocolate ice cream ! Fantastic....
It did prove to be one of the most expensive dinners we have eaten ~ about the same as Birmingham's Michelin starred restaurants, but as it can't be long before it gets its own star, that's acceptable. If you have something special to celebrate , definitely consider Edmunds.

Stourport-on-Severn
“Special Meal”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

From outside this place looked amazing but the inside was a little disappointing. For a high end establishment and although very good, the front of house service has a way to go to match the food on offer. The quality and presentation of the food was outstanding. The chef and his team are doing an amazing job to get this place very firmly on the map.

• Visited July 2013
“Very good”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Visited Edmunds for a meal recently and found it a very good dining experience. Atmosphere was just right, not too,quiet and not to noisy. The food was excellent quality..I had the quail as a starter and was excellently cooked, presented and served. Had t he lamb for main course and this too was excellent and portion size was generous. It was chocolate for pudding, was surprised by the size of it and couldn't finish it. Service was attentive and professional without being overbearing.
An ideal choice for a special occasion.