“What a treat”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Oxford, United Kingdom
“What a treat”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We loved everything about the Rotunda, uber cool! You can even open the sliding glass doors and feel the breath of the city (don't worry there is a safety panel!). Late at night and at dawn it is especially magical. Everything in the apartment is cleverly designed, neat, cool, tech-filled and the kitchen fitted with posh appliances. I hadn't realised till we arrived that the furniture is bespoke British made design, done especially for these apartments. The artwork is Twiggy-like 60s images with modern Birmingham backdrops. So cool. Had a great night's sleep. It is so silent in the room at night. Or you can slide open the doors to feel the buzz of the city below. I haven't even got onto the staff yet. Young, friendly, enthusiastic, did everything they could to make our stay fantastic, we loved Simon especially. There was even a birthday card waiting for me in the room on arrival. So thoughtful. I am a very fussy person but I can't find a single negative! It's that good! Treat yourself and enjoy!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

StayingCool_Rotunda, Owner at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Murfette2013

It was a joy to read your review and to see what a wonderful time you had with us. I still take great pleasure in seeing the sun rise and set over the city every time I stay.

I have passed on your lovely comments about Simon too. We have a great Guest Relations team at Rotunda.

Hopefully we will see you again very soon.

Tracey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Splashed out !!!!!! significant bucks for a penthouse on the 20th floor and it was... well it was OK. Amazing views obviously but other than that didn't really offer much for the money. It was as expected no more. Nothing here to really WOW and there was a lot that I thought shouldn't have slipped under housekeeping's radar

1) A window that should have opened but the locking mechanism was broken
2) a bag of ice in the freezer that was opened and used
3) some damage to tiles and grout in the main bathroom
4) the car part entry system is a pain because you can't park in the road but you have to run back to reception around the corner to give your entry fob back.. Surely a little drop box would help.

Just little things I know but little things are important when you're spending a lot of money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
StayingCool_Rotunda, Guest Relations Manager at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear JMuk

We are delighted that you have taken the time to give us some detailed feedback and an overall rating of 4 stars.

The views really are breathtaking up there in the clouds, and I am so glad that you thought so too.

We are sorry that you found some ice left in the freezer. Everything is checked after each departure but the housekeeper left it in there because they thought it would be useful for future guests (this isn't the case and the member of staff has been reminded of our policy).

On occasions it isn't always possible to get items repaired in between stays (especially at weekends when guests checking out want to stay as late as possible and guests checking in want to arrive as early as possible!) and the window was one such example. There are six opening doors in the penthouse to the balcony so hopefully having the one out wasn't too much of an issue. It is now fully repaired.

We now operate a continuous improvement programme so repainting and decorating take place on a rolling programme so the items you mentioned are very much on our to do list.

Most of our guests park in the Bullring shopping centre next door (at a heavily discounted rate). We also have have a couple of spaces underneath the building. I agree that it can be inconvenient to have to come in and collect a pass. Our staff will always try to come outside with the fob (and I recall one of our team coming round the back to collect the fob off you on your departure date) but it is not always possible if we are busy dealing with other guests.

I like your idea of a drop box and I will add this to our weekly management meeting. Many thanks again for the feedback.

Sabrina Altavira
London
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I travel A LOT on business and (have to) stay in many types of accommodations, good and bad. I now count Staying Cool at the Rotunda in Birmingham as one of my top 3 best places to stay ever.

The Rotunda is an impressive building on the outside and could not be more central. It's a 3 minute walk from New Street Station and probably even closer to Moor Street!

The reception staff is ultra welcoming, professional, look smart and extremely knowledgeable when it comes to Staying Cool's facilities, Birmingham activities, restaurants, places to visit etc.

I had booked a Mini apartment and ended up being on the 18th floor. The apartment has panoramic windows allowing you to see the whole of Birmingham and although the city is not exactly the most attractive it looks amazing from up there.

The fixtures and fittings are amazing, the apartment is spacious but feels cosy at the same time due to the clever interior design and layout. You will not want for anything... You'll find a pint of milk in the fridge, cereal, tea, coffee (all good quality stuff!) and sugar and a fully kitted out kitchen. There is Sky TV and DVD players and I hear the bigger apartments even have a Mac Mini. There are magazines and maps, a welcome and info pack, bathrobes, the mattress is super comfortable and the bed has a proper duvet and crisp white linen (not to be taken for granted!).

The apartment was extremely quiet allowing me to relax and sleep like a baby after a long day's work.

Really, every detail has been thought of. Congrats Staying Cool, I will be back and will spread the word to anyone planning a visit to Brum,

Room Tip: the higher the better I guess
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
StayingCool_Rotunda, Director of Sales at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Hello SiggiSchrot

Thank you for your comprehensive feedback - it was a pleasure to read. Your review and response is exactly what we strive to achieve.

Hopefully we will see you again very soon.

Gavin
Coquitlam, Canada
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We came from London by train to New Street Station. So this Hotel was in the best location for us.It is with in walking distance to most everything in down town Birmingham. It's being 40 Years since we where last here. Boy has the city changed. The Rotunda is just the best place to stay.
The staff are top notch. If we come to Birmingham again we will stay here for sure.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Stanley F

40 years since your last trip? Wow, I can see how the place might have changed a bit! I've been coming to Birmingham for 20 years and I've seen a pretty dramatic transformation in that time.

We were very pleased that you chose to stay with us for your return visit. Hopefully you won't leave it quite so long for your return visit.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Amazing location, view and fabulous staff (Danny dealt with us on arrival and at checkout who was extremely helpful) The apartment was wonderful, the bed was so, so comfortable and the linen was good quality. Wonderful that there is a coffee machine and everything you need for a self catering break. Loved making fresh juice out of the oranges supplied. Couldn't ask for much more, excellent. You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank hjlg
Thank you Hjlg for such a lovely review. We like to think that the small touches that you mention make all the difference. Hopefully we will see you again very soon.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Birmingham! Stayed in a mini apartment for one night with my partner and the whole experience was perfect... Location is super, room and building was very clean, views were amasing and the staff were efficient and adorable! It's the apartment little touches such as the gorgeous toiletries and the milk and cereal and fresh juice ready for beckie that really make it a stay to remember! We will be back x

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sarah F
Hello SarahF

We all had a big smile on our faces when we read your review - thank you. I have passed your comments onto our Front Office Manager, Danny. Hopefully we will get to look after you again very soon.

Shropshire UK
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed for one night only at the end of July after reading the rave reviews and was certainly not disappointed.Having stayed in many top hotels over the years ,this was by far the best place I have been to in a long while.The staff ,standard of accommodation and view was exceptional and I would certainly stay again and am already planning my next trip as I was also impressed by Birmingham as a whole.My only regret was that I did not stay for longer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank lynneShropshireUK
Hello LynneShropshire

Many thanks for your rave view and particularly your comments about the staff who I think make the place. Don't forget to use your 10% discount code as a returning guest when you book via our website. We very much look forward to seeing you again.