“Worst bar meal for years”
Review of The Green Man

The Green Man
Ranked #1,236 of 2,217 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
“Worst bar meal for years”
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

My lady and I went in here two weeks ago for lunch.
I had the pulled beef pie chips and peas, they had no alternative potatoes at all. ,"pulled" seems to be the new word being used in these types of establishments these days .You'll see pulled beef or pulled pork.. they make out it's been cooked long and slow so it shreds apart so tenderly. What it really means is they can use the scrapings of tiny strands of some kind of meat, who knows what, with no substance at all. Ok if you're a pensioner with no teeth,as it takes no chewing whatsoever. But if you had no teeth you'd have no chance when it comes to the pastry. In fact if you had teeth like a hyena you still have problems .The crust was totally uneatable and burnt black. You would need to have soaked it in hot water for a week to get it anywhere near soft enough to chew. The peas were hard and dry all ten of them, the chips , all eight of them were soggy. The pie fibres of meat were held together with what was described on the menu as tasty gravy. That's a laugh. The pie was a wedge cut from a large previously cooked and bought in from some eastern European supplier , I would imagine. It sat on the plate and the so called home made gravy refused to run out onto the plate, it was that thick, honestly . The whole meal had been dinged up in, I would imagine, a 150 watt three candled second hand microwave, as we found out later.
I refused to touch the meal other than attempt to hack at the crust a dozen times, in order to make my point and immediately sent it back.
While I waited for my replacement, my partner, who had ordered the penne vegetarian pasta, which consisted of penne , possibly one small tomato, very carefully spread about the plate and some sprinkling of green bits, put a few pieces into her mouth and said it's freezing cold. I said it's probably been sitting around while they cooked the living hell out of my pie crust. Then she took another mouthful from somewhere else and scalded her tongue. That's when we clicked they are bought in meals and dinged up in an inferior broken down microwave. I said send it back but my lady being the type of person who hates to complain, persevered and ate the rubbish, which didn't take long as there were only about twenty pieces on her plate. She'd finished when my replacement came back almost identical to the first, but without the black crust. However it was equally as hard and I was unable to cut it with the utensils we were given. What we needed was a hammer and chisel.
I ate three chips and one mouthful of the soft end of the pie. If the salt police had been there they'd have had a field day. It was revolting. Again I tested the temperature of all the meal with my fingers and while some parts were hot to touch , other parts were cold. I sent it back and told her to dispose of it by furnace and not to throw it in the dustbin, unless she wants it to vomit it's contents all over the yard.
We'd paid for two courses up front.
The desert we both had, was a hot chocolate brownie on a biscuit base served with delicious ice cream and smothered in dark silky chocolate. We thought what can they get wrong with that....
So we asked the girl for our deserts and I jokingly asked her to tell the chef not to spit in mine.
She brought them out gave one to my partner and handing me the other , she said with a smile, and one for you sir WITHOUT spit. Oh thank you I said , does that mean the other one has got spit in it then.... she forced a smile, it looked nice . I had two mouths full, one cold the other very hot, again they'd used the 150watt microwave. But jeez was it sweet. Couldn't eat anymore , I just ate the ice cream. My lady managed to eat half of hers.
I've used the Green Man on and off for 45 years, but nothing will get me to eat there again until it changes hands.
Why we didn't just leave the excuse for meals and demand our money back still bothers me now, two weeks later. Hence the review.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank lerenzo

“Rude bar staff”
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Myself and a hand full of work colleagues visited here on a Friday evening mainly for drinks and a get together.
Firstly the pub it's self is very nicely decorated , the beers ok and the door man steve is friendly.
It gets very very crowded on a Friday or weekend evening and becomes loud but still has a nice atmosphere.
What really ruined it for this pub was the bar staff, I've visited a numerous amount of times and every time I've been here the bar staff are miserable, have no manors and are rude. I found the lady with short dark red hair very rude. No please or thank you, no smile. As she served us she just looked at us n said YEAH! When my partner ordered our drinks I watched her roll her eyes at another member of staff.
I would recommend this pub only for the atmosphere and comfort, defiantly not the service!!!

Visited October 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Decent Sunday lunch”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

My family and I had lunch here today, they have a special Sunday menu with a choice of starters and desserts for £2. My husband and I opted for the Roast Beef which was very good, it was served with a yorkshire pud, roast potatoes, parsnips and mixed green veg. My son went for the ribs and the portion size was huge - he could only finish half so our dog was very happy. The starters were ok for £2, my husband had mushrooms and I had the deep fried brie - they were ok but let down by the side salad which clearly was all dried up and had seen better days. We did not have any desserts so cannot comment on those. Service was good and the decor of this spacious pub is very nice. They also have a good selection of real ales which we did not try on this visit but will when we return. Good value too - 3 people, 2 courses and 3 soft drinks for £41 :)

• Visited October 2013
Bideford, United Kingdom
“Lovely”
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Came here on a Sunday lunchtime, service was great, the pub has a nice atmosphere to it, we all enjoyed our food, I had a burger, beautifully cooked and tasted amazing, liked the touch of putting the chips into a bucket and being served on a board, desserts were nice too.

• Visited September 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Harborne Pubs”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Whilst its not as 'trendy' as the Plough (opposite), its a dam sight cheaper for the same beer, and theres a disco. Staff were friendly not at all pretentious

Visited June 2013