“It was something out of a horror film!”
Review of Prime Lodge

Prime Lodge
Ranked #113 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Youth hostels are so much cleaner!
On arrival we were greeted by an unwelcoming group of men offering to sell drugs outside the hotel entrance (fire door) which was very intimidating and frightening.
Then to walk through to reception were the ceiling was caving in, and the smell made me retch. To a dark enclosed room were we stood for half an hour waiting to shown to our room.
Eventually we were shown to our room were the ceiling, walls, skirting boards and carpet were covered in black mould, it was foul!
To top off the final experience my boyfriend walked into the bathroom were he slipt on a cracked floor tile and sliced his foot open! So we had to spend our remaining time in Birmingham in A & E !!!!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Stephanielouise93

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Please, Please do not stay there.
Very Very Poor, I am asian the hotel is run by Asians very very substandard. Can’t even imagine how we spent 10 minutes there.
Could not stay in the room for more than 10 minutes, they have charged two night stay from me they are crook, doing a day light robbery. Better if they can earn money through other illegal means.
Totally unacceptable , making mockery of innocent people.
Dampness Smell, pungent smell, it stinks , this is not a hotel this is an old den.
The websites should not advertise them they are helping them to make money I am gonna make official complaint to Birmingham city council.
DO NOT GO There.

Room Tip: do not go please avoid the hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Abid-5-6-11
Reviewed July 8, 2012

The "hotel" is located in inner City Birmingham and has bars on the windows to prevent break-ins at night. To enter you have to ring a bell and wait while you are viewed on camera. The rooms are filthy with mould growing everywhere. The electrical sockets are hanging off the walls and the pipes drip water through the roof. They wont serve bacon in the mornings due to their religion and the whole place is in a run down state with rubbish stacked up to the rear. In a nut shell, this is by far the worst place (never mind a hotel) that I have ever had the misfortune to stay in

Room Tip: Do not stay here, EVER!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Chris B
Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

Driving past the hotel on the series of endless round abouts I seriously thought the sat nav was on the blink. The hotel looked like an neglected homeless shelter. Caged windows and unsavoury surroundings, not the most appealing of welcomes. I'll skip the entrance hall and car park, other reviews cover these downfalls well enough, the rooms deserve some explanation. The walls were not only stained with rap but with other muck and residue from god knows what what's window will had not sermon sp much as a can of pledge and the bathroom was a disgrace. The filth, mould, scum and actual [--] stains in the loo was appalling. It's a pity the hotel's owners have such friendly staff because they certainly do not deserve them.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank jordanjmcdowell
Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

It is very cheap and very clean it is worth it's price!!!!!!!!! It is only 2 miles away from city centre if you come from a different city this is the best hotel

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Badman1
prime786, Manager at Prime Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

thank you for your review.

Reviewed May 16, 2012

There are some super negative reviews of this place but it was SO, SO, SO CHEAP! It gets the job done.

Yes, it is very rough around the edges - it looks like a cold war bunker from the outside (and not a whole lot better inside), it's nestled in the middle of a very rough estate and you should expect some mould and/or rust stains on the walls in the bathroom - oh, and don't expect the TV to work - but it was £20. To put that in perspective I have paid more to stay in a hostel sharing a room with up to 10 others.

I had a clean, spacious, en-suite room with tea-making kit, free wifi, functioning, newish furnishings and a comfy bed all to myself. The shower was absolutely awesome too - plenty of hot water and some serious power behind it to wake you up. If you look at it as a bargain price private room in a hostel you'll know what to expect.

The estate it's in is rough but the car park is covered by CCTV and the ground floor windows have cages around them (it's up to you whether this is a good point or bad!).

My biggest gripe was that to get in from the car park you have to ring a buzzer that rings at my reception, my room was very near reception and so the buzzer was going off until about midnight - luckily I didn't have an early start but this would def. have been a serious annoyance if I had been trying to sleep.

Room Tip: Don't expect a miracle for the price - be realistic! Avoid rooms near reception to get away fro...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank MacheteSupertramp
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Oh my life! We drove past this place twice before we realised it wasn't on the 'bulldoze!' list; unwelcoming, run down, FILTHY - and that was from the outside!

When we finally found the "Secure Car park" to the rear (nothing short of being an open space within the Bronx of the Bronx) we parked up to find a flat-roofed, bricked up building with boxed cages surrounding the open windows. The doors were similar to the thick white fire doors that you find at the back of a night club where you would throw out your trash. You wouldn't have even bothered using these doors if it hadn't have been for the "Reception" sign above them.

We were greeted by a lady whom, to be fair, was smiling. Why she was smiling I have no idea. She took our money at reception then showed us to our room.

The second the bedroom door was opened the smell of damp hit you in the face! The room was gloomy and uninviting. My husband took a look in the ensuite which was very, very cold. The owners obviously thought that the lick of paint would hide the large patch of missing plaster above the toilet. I guess they also thought that we wouldn't notice the thick mould growing on the floor and wall next to the shower. The floor was dirty and the shower had foot prints remaining from the previous user.

It was then that I decided to check the bed:

I pulled back the duvet to find pubes in the bed. PUBES! There were also various coloured hairs stuck to the duvet and bed sheet. Going by that, either the previous guests had multi coloured hair or the sheets hadn't been changed in a long time. Absolutely digusting!

We couldn't stay there, not only because it was filthy but the damp smell was so strong that it was making me feel ill.

I took our keys back to reception and told them that we would not be staying there. I told them why and not only did they not argue, they didn't even ask to see the room in an attempt to defend their corner. I was told that they could only give me half of the money back. I was not willing to stay there any longer to bother arguing about it so I accepted half of the money. The lady at reception disappeared to be replaced by another who came to the desk, launched the money across the desk and said "there you go!" and walked off. No apology or anything.

We're not snobs. We do not expect 'bells and whistles'. You may get what you pay for but at the very least I expect our rooms to be clean and comfortable. However, this room was nothing short of pure filth!

This place should be shut down for good!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere. The local tip would be cleaner by comparison!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends