“The best”

Prime Lodge
Ranked #113 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
“The best”
Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

It is very cheap and very clean it is worth it's price!!!!!!!!! It is only 2 miles away from city centre if you come from a different city this is the best hotel

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Badman1
prime786, Manager at Prime Lodge, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
thank you for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Braintree, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2012

There are some super negative reviews of this place but it was SO, SO, SO CHEAP! It gets the job done.

Yes, it is very rough around the edges - it looks like a cold war bunker from the outside (and not a whole lot better inside), it's nestled in the middle of a very rough estate and you should expect some mould and/or rust stains on the walls in the bathroom - oh, and don't expect the TV to work - but it was £20. To put that in perspective I have paid more to stay in a hostel sharing a room with up to 10 others.

I had a clean, spacious, en-suite room with tea-making kit, free wifi, functioning, newish furnishings and a comfy bed all to myself. The shower was absolutely awesome too - plenty of hot water and some serious power behind it to wake you up. If you look at it as a bargain price private room in a hostel you'll know what to expect.

The estate it's in is rough but the car park is covered by CCTV and the ground floor windows have cages around them (it's up to you whether this is a good point or bad!).

My biggest gripe was that to get in from the car park you have to ring a buzzer that rings at my reception, my room was very near reception and so the buzzer was going off until about midnight - luckily I didn't have an early start but this would def. have been a serious annoyance if I had been trying to sleep.

Room Tip: Don't expect a miracle for the price - be realistic! Avoid rooms near reception to get away fro...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank MacheteSupertramp
Essex
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Oh my life! We drove past this place twice before we realised it wasn't on the 'bulldoze!' list; unwelcoming, run down, FILTHY - and that was from the outside!

When we finally found the "Secure Car park" to the rear (nothing short of being an open space within the Bronx of the Bronx) we parked up to find a flat-roofed, bricked up building with boxed cages surrounding the open windows. The doors were similar to the thick white fire doors that you find at the back of a night club where you would throw out your trash. You wouldn't have even bothered using these doors if it hadn't have been for the "Reception" sign above them.

We were greeted by a lady whom, to be fair, was smiling. Why she was smiling I have no idea. She took our money at reception then showed us to our room.

The second the bedroom door was opened the smell of damp hit you in the face! The room was gloomy and uninviting. My husband took a look in the ensuite which was very, very cold. The owners obviously thought that the lick of paint would hide the large patch of missing plaster above the toilet. I guess they also thought that we wouldn't notice the thick mould growing on the floor and wall next to the shower. The floor was dirty and the shower had foot prints remaining from the previous user.

It was then that I decided to check the bed:

I pulled back the duvet to find pubes in the bed. PUBES! There were also various coloured hairs stuck to the duvet and bed sheet. Going by that, either the previous guests had multi coloured hair or the sheets hadn't been changed in a long time. Absolutely digusting!

We couldn't stay there, not only because it was filthy but the damp smell was so strong that it was making me feel ill.

I took our keys back to reception and told them that we would not be staying there. I told them why and not only did they not argue, they didn't even ask to see the room in an attempt to defend their corner. I was told that they could only give me half of the money back. I was not willing to stay there any longer to bother arguing about it so I accepted half of the money. The lady at reception disappeared to be replaced by another who came to the desk, launched the money across the desk and said "there you go!" and walked off. No apology or anything.

We're not snobs. We do not expect 'bells and whistles'. You may get what you pay for but at the very least I expect our rooms to be clean and comfortable. However, this room was nothing short of pure filth!

This place should be shut down for good!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere. The local tip would be cleaner by comparison!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kaz W

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2011

And I have been backpacking. The man at reception was rude and let the doors fall back in my face. He hadn't heard of the NEC when booking our taxi. The room smelt damp. There were stains on the bedding and all up the walls. The TV didn't work and we could only get BBC 1 (just about). The shower leaked and the bathroom flooded. There was no bin the bathroom and no sanitary bags. The toilet stopped flushing and when it was "fixed" it kept filling up (noisily) for the rest of our stay. Breakfast cost me £5 and consisted of three cold pieces of toast stacked on top of each other, fried eggs on a clearly dirty and greasy plate and a bowl of baked beans. The lady boiled the kettle and just walked out without saying "help yourself" or anything as polite as that. The bedside lamp was also broken. PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE. I did not want to give it any rating at all. It was terrible. I hope it gets shut down, I really do. If they had at least been polite I may not have come on here to write this but they were rude and the place was quite frankly a dump. As I said, I have been backpacking staying in hostels and this is the worst of the worst.

Room Tip: All rooms are horrible
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Sophie W
Hereford
Reviewed October 21, 2011

I was looking for a nice reasonably priced hotel to take the Wife to Birmingham for the weekend, I found this hotel and found from the pictures available that it looked ok, how wrong I was, I booked the "Hotel" for £40 for a double room, when we got to the "Hotel" we had to go around the back of what looked like another world and get through the secure gates, we were shown to our room which when you walked in the smell of fresh air freshener just been sprayed to mask the smell of urine in the room smacked me in the face, I looked around for 20 seconds far too long and told the Wife we were leaving and got a full refund, it was like being in the Adam's familys house with thick cobwebs all over and mould, bed slumped, this "Hotel" should not be allowed to function as a Hotel, I ADVISE ANYONE NO MATTER HOW CHEAP YOUR BUDGET IS STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE, ITS NOT WORTH IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank simonhissey
Paignton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2011

We booked through booking.com, surely they must check the hotels they recommend!! Obviously not... It was awful, bedding was not clean, room was not clean, bathroom was not clean, room didn't lock and TV didn't work, that was what we found out in the first 5 minutes before we demanded a full refund!! Do not stay here!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Becky R
Lancs, UK
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Stayed here for 1 night as was working nearby. Yes the place is cheap but that is the only positive.
The rooms we booked were damp, dirty an mouldy with plaster peeling from the Walls. There were no covers on the duvet or pillowcase which is completely unhygienic imo, and the bed also felt damp. The bathroom was mouldy and dirty with tiles missing from the wall.
Breakfast ( which we paid £5 extra for) consisted of 2 fried eggs and a bowl of beans, a total rip off.
My advice would be stay well clear of this place - it's a disgrace. Spend a little extra and find somewhere decent.

• Stayed July 2011