“Best value sushi in Birmingham”

Shogun Sushi & Noodle Bar
Ranked #477 of 2,379 Restaurants in Birmingham
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Ladywood
Transit: 5 Minutes from city centre , main train station Birmingham New Street . Bus outside main roads
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I love this sushi bar, such incredible value at £13 all you can eat. The sushi is so fresh and great quality fish and many other dishes are served on the conveyor belt rather than just sushi!
I would recommend to anyone who has more than an hour in Birmingham!

1  Thank littlechefs

Reviewed May 12, 2013

My partner & I had a fantastic meal with a lovely atmosphere . Definitely recommend the fish & all the chefs are very entertaining. All house staff were friendly & happy , especially our chef Greg from BHS!! We will be returning here with friends & family soon. A great evening whether your going as a couple , party or a family night out they cater for all ages & involve you in your eating experience.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Having previously enjoyed Miyako Teppanyaki in the Arcadian Centre, we decided to try another teppayaki. Upon entering we were slightly disappointed by the surroundings at Shogun, just 3 large tables; one sushi and 2 teppanyaki. The décor is sparse and not as good as Miyako. We were seated promptly with 2 other groups. The food in general was ok but the whole experience just didn't live up to Miyako.

The guy who cooked the food wasn't very interactive. His aiming skills left a lot to be desired and we left with rice stains on trousers and egg deposits on dresses! Whilst at Miyako we had 'bib' style napkins wrapped round our necks for 'protection', there were just thin paper serviettes on the table at Shogun for us to use. He cooked our food whilst another group were eating next to us and started throwing our food into their mouths .... some of it rebounding from their faces back into the pile of food on the hotplates! Whilst this was mildly amusing, it wasn't really too hygienic!

The bill came to £220 for 8 of us and we mostly had the cheapest set price menu. The soup was disappointing and there is a 10% service charge.

We wouldn't go again.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Having been here a few times before and to the one on Bindley Place I thought this would be an excellent choice for a start of a Hen Night. I wasn't wrong. There were 12 of us and we were promptly seated (as we had booked in advance) and after much deliberation we all placed our orders and then the show commenced. It's great fun with the chefs showing off their knife and juggling skills and cooking everything perfectly and in time so that everyone eats at the same time.
I have to say though there was a lot of food, we had all chosen a set menu so this included a salad starter either tempura prawns or chicken, then soup and then the main course which was served with rice and a stir fry followed by a choice of dessert, brilliant value as some of the set menus are only around £24.00.
Little disappointed with the drinks though, the vodka I ordered I'm sure had no vodka in and I wasn't the only one who'd noticed, didn't complain but maybe I should have. Other than that everything was great and we all had a good time.
Two words of warning you do end up smelling of the cooking as it's in such close proximity to you and beware the service charge....it's not mentioned until you get the bill.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband took me last night for our wedding anniversary as we wanted to Try something a bit different. We were pleased that they had proper tepanyaki tables and we could see the theatre and drama unfold while waiting to Be seated. The chefs were extremely talented and certainly knew how to
Put on a show. Involving the diners where possible. We had the house special set menu for £25.50 and we were amazed at the exceptional value. The food was very fresh and a great variety to try, they loved using garlic!! Fresh Melon for dessert was welcome as we had had about 6 different dishes to try previously. Definitely recommend and can't wait to return with our kids!